Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Schwalbe marathon spikes – any good? And also using Wellies with flats
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

My lbs is stocking these tyres – are they any good for commuting and very easy off road riding?

I’m also needing to buy some flat pedals to replace my road pedals on the commuter. I used hiking boots this morning with my road pedals (eek!) but is there any reason why using wellies wouldn’t work for a short commute? Haven’t used flat pedals for about 8 years so that will also be an interesting experience! 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’m using snow studs – fewer studs for clear sections of road, and slightly more aggressive tread for off road sections, but I’m sure the marathon spikes will be fine.

I’ve never bothered changing to flats for winter riding – even when riding in on 23c slicks through 2″ of mixed slush and ice. I have winter spd boots with toe studs.

The idea behind the spikes is that you don’t get ‘moments’ where you need to tripod – be confident and plan your line well in advance! Take routes to avoid traffic where you can (not always possible, I have to ride through Bristol everyday).

Even on spds I can get my feet out plenty fast enough to catch a slide on non-spiked tyres. Thats if you have warning, if you hit black ice you’ll be on the deck before you know anything about it, let alone chance to get your feet out to ‘save you’ – even if you could you’d just end up doing the splits.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got Marathon Winters and at the moment they are rubbish, the problem being they are skinny (35mm) road tyres designed to work on ice not snow, and round here (newcastle) at least the roads are either clear, packed snow (grippy enough) or slush (impossible to ride on). Give it a few days of no more heavy snow and then they will be back im there element but at the moment i wish i just had fat MTB tyres.

And flat pedals, i understand why you would but if your route is clear of slush etc. then stick the SPD’s. Ive gone to flats as im crossing a lot of slush etc. which i have to carry my bike over and i dont have anywhere to store wet cycling shoes when i get to where i need to be.

jwr

I’ve never used the Marathon Winters, but from the pictures they look considerable less aggressive than the Continental Nordic Spikes that I run on my RoadRat. The Conti’s are fine in snow depths up to about 20cm. I posted a quick overview of my bike a few days ago (here). I’m also running a series of articles about winter biking on my website over the next week.

As for flat pedals I consider them a must at this time of year. I usually ride in walking boots. You may be OK whilst on the bike, but if you have a problem you need good footwear to walk your way out of trouble.

-j

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

hmm, thanks. The only reason i’m opting/leaning towards them is all the other tyres seem to be sold out on crc until January, and the lbs is at the top of my street. I was going to go for a pair of Conti’s as recommended by a friend but they are sold out too.

I’m wanting flats to stop the snow sticking to my cleats making it hard to clip in, so its one less thing to worry about. I’ll change back once the snow has gone, and i’m happy riding clipped in on ice. Plus it also means if i have to walk/push, i’ll be ok in hiking boots but roadie shoes that are all mesh with big cleats in the snow…!

Hopefully it’ll be ok, fed up with the turbo and treadmill already and needing a riding fix!

Kit
    Free Member

Claire, try here for Conti tyres:
    http://www3.hibike.de/shop/catalog/tk/m-1/g-1/n1/c1/Die-HIBIKE-Welt.html?query=continental+spike&mfgID=-1&groupID=-1

You’ll need to brush up on your German, or use Google Chrome to translate the page, mind you…

And do you not still use eggbeaters? Not had a problem with mine in the snow yet. Could always stick them on your road bike if you needed to.

STATO
    Free Member

I got mine from Bike24 in germany, slightly cheaper postage then starbike which also had them in stock.

If your running flats then you should be ok with the Marathon, as i said you only suffer in soft snow, ice or packed snow is fine. Lets face it, we get more icey conditions than snow, so the Marathons should be ok.

peasnotwar
    Free Member

I seem to recall in my DH racing days a certain Steve Jones (of Dirt mag fame) flying past me wearing wellies at a race in FOD.
    I think he won but the sheep were scared!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting in wellies on flat pedals. works a treat through the slush for dry feet.
    But went out on a bigger ride last night, but ended up iith snow down the wellies as the powder was a good 14″ deep in places. Walking boots and gaiters next time.
    Problem with spds is the ice and snow sticks to your cleat if you put your feet down, so you can’t clip in. And if you’re riding in deep snow you WIL be putting your feet down from time to time. Some pedals are worse than others mind you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I found a cool US website when googling spiked tires:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m thinking i might try these: 🙂 [/url]

Most of the time i’d be riding in ice so i guess the marathons will be ok for general winter use. If wellies are good enough for Steve Jones, they will be fine for keeping me dry on the way to work!

Kit, no i use time and road pedals. The issue is putting a foot down and my cleat getting iced/snowed up as happened on a road ride at the weekend before all the snow started, so it’d be much worse now.

Thanks for the link Cynic-al, very helpful.

druidh
    Free Member

You do have disk brakes on your commuter, Claire????

Kit
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve got SPDs on my road bike and surprisingly had no problem clipping in after frequent trudges through the snow on Sunday! I thought Time’s were supposed to be as good as eggies for clearance. Ah well, at least they won’t fall apart as quickly 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

No i don’t have disc brakes, i have the cheapy, bottom of the range one. Which i might add i love – it beats my trek winter bike hands down and was about £500 cheaper!

druidh
    Free Member

OK – have another look at the zip-tie thing and think about your brakes…..

STATO
    Free Member

just an update on the Marathon Winters…

They are working really well on the thick ice and frozen hardpack we have here are the moment, pretty stable and generally no drama. Some of the roads now have deep wheel ruts in them with the rest of the road being almost solid ice about 6″ deep if not more. These as you can imagine are not the easiest things to ride in and the spikes wont drag you out as they are not designed for that, but they do add a bit of grip so your not being thrown to the ground if you touch the edges. In the soft stuff where cars have broken up the ice its still hard to rdie (its like riding in sand its so churned up in places, weird)

So generally pretty happy, still pretty draggy, but i do have them quite soft.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I would think you’re wellies will be very cold for this weather…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe marathon spikes – any good? And also using Wellies with flats’ is closed to new replies.