• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by the00.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Schwalbe Magic Mary sizing
  • widge34
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the Magic Mary 2.6×29 is true to size?

seb84

And how is it on mud/general winter conditions compared to the 2.35?

isoo
    Free Member

65 mm on a 30 mm ID rim after sitting the night on max pressure.

I’ve never ridden the 2.35, but the 2.6 is definitely very nice on any soft surface. I feel it does lose to a DHF on stone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I feel it does lose to a DHF on stone

I’d agree on hardpack/loose stone, on big techy mountain stone/bedrock type descents, Mary is the business.

chakaping
    Free Member

And how is it on mud/general winter conditions compared to the 2.35?

Bit better most of the time, perhaps due to wider spaces between knobs.

Also better everywhere else IMO.

Best all-round front tyre in human history, probably.

Alex

I have a 2.6 x 29 to go on the front of my RipMo on 35mm rims. I’ll measure that when it’s fitted. I also have a 27.5 x 2.8 on my Solaris Max and I agree with Chapaking – it’s the best front tyre I’ve used. . I was a total Maxxis fanboi (DHF/DHR) but the MM is just a better tyre.

The 2.6 HD isn’t bad either. And they are cheaper than Maxxis. The MM/HD (orange/blue combo) are £75 including 10 Euro postage.

moonsaballoon

Are the addix ones a bit tougher that the old ones ? i loved my old mary  but i did rip holes in it which i haven’t managed to do on any other brands .

i really want to grab a 2.6 for the front but am a bit wary after my last one .

Alex

My mate has a 2.6 addix and it’s had a lot of abuse. Longest lasting tyre he’s had in ages. I’d say based on a sample size of 1, they are very durable. My 2.8 has been through two winter and still has plenty of life left in it.

widge34
    Free Member

65mm sounds about right. Thanks all

chakaping
    Free Member

My Addix Soft 2.6 Mary is holding up very well so far, wear-wise.

But I never put holes in front tyres anyway, if that’s what you meant?

moonsaballoon

Yeah i ripped a couple of knobs at and it always seemed to be during enduro race stages and i am slow enough as it is . replaced it with a conti baron which i always felt was a bit like a mary but not as good but it stayed together .

Think I will give them another go.

lotto
    Free Member

I’ve a MM 2.6×29 up front,  what do people have out back?I due a replacement. Currently on WTB Breakout. All natural mountain bike stuff. No trail centres, will use forest roads and tarmac though to get to where I need to be. Fancy Specialized this time, no idea why, never had one but seem to get good reviews from mates.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Echo Chakapings thoughts, an absolute beast of a tyre to have up front, it’s like cheating.

seb84

Decent for winter wharncliffe?
    Same question as lotto?
    I was thinking wtb judge or dhr2 wt?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve a MM 2.6×29 up front, what do people have out back?I

The new Hans Dampf soft in Supergravity carcass is my choice for most of the year. Really good all-rounder.

Got a 2.35 Mary soft in Supergravity on the back at the mo for the slop. More draggy but not ridiculous.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lotto, I had a slaughter out back, just replaced with 2.6 Spesh butcher. Looks meaty, first ride out on Wednesday night.

seb84

Has anyone who’s ridden the mm 2.6 and the wtb verdict wet to compare?

Wally

My Addix Soft 2.6 Mary is the shizzle up front with a Hans speed addix out back.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Long time MM fan boy here, ran the front and rear for years. The new addix ones definitely last longer and don’t shed their knobs like the old Trailstar ones. I have a mate running the 2.6 on a 30mm rim and it didn’t seem that much bigger than my 2.35 to be honest. Didn’t get the callipers out though. I’m a recent convert to the spesh hillbilly grid though. Amazing tyre. Like the Mary but better in every way except rolling. That said For the grip on offer it’s not particularly slow on roads and gravel. Currently running 29 x 2.6 hillbilly up front (I did get the callipers on that one and it’s 2.5” at 20psi with a Rimpact in it). And a 2.35 Mary out back. Best winter combo one used for peaks riding.you can also often find the hillbilly silly cheap too. Paid about £25 for mine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a mate running the 2.6 on a 30mm rim and it didn’t seem that much bigger than my 2.35 to be honest.

It’s 2.5″ on a 30mm rim, same as your Spesh tyre.

andybrad

got a year on my 2.6×29 front. absolutely fine so far

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i have a 2.35 Magic Mary on a 30mm rim and it measures 2.5″ across (63mm)

the00
    Free Member

null

Magic Mary 29×2.6 in Pikes?

I like DHR2 on the rear in exo or exo+, with a rim protector. I haven’t tried a Schwalbe on the rear yet, but I’m keen to try because I’ve killed a few Maxxis in the last year. The Schwalbe feel better quality, but I’m not sure they do a casing with similar protection to exo. Snakeskin feels a bit lighter, and the DH casing is pretty heavy, like a DD Maxxis.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Magic Mary sizing’ is closed to new replies.