• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Schwalbe evolution v performance tyre ride characteristics…
  • dobo
    Free Member

Does anyone have first hand experience of the riding characteristics between the evo and performance line of tyres?

I’ve read the specs and the evo are twice the price of the performance, a bit lighter and use pacestar triple compound.

The performance are much cheaper and use the dual compound

I currently use the evo ralphs and rons with snakeskin, which performance dont come with which is the only obvious downside.

How do the performance tyres compare grip wise?
    Do the performance work well tubeless?
    How do the performance wear? (cant possibly be any quicker than evo though?)
    If i swapped your tyres could you tell 😉

I also use landcruisers on the CX and that tyre has the most basic level of compound called SBC (schwalbe basic compound) and its actually pretty good, heavy though.

Kryton57

My result would be a bit subjective as I’ve gone from 26 (evo/pace star) to 29 (perform and dual compound)

I think they feel a little more plasticky and harsh when ridden on a solid surface (rock, road), becuase they have a lower tpi sidewall I suspect. However my first ever ride on them -raplphs – was at a wet Afan on an as yet i ridden bike which was new to me and 29. I didn’t get any perceivable lack of grip. I can’t comment on wear yet, but I can’t see me going back to the more expensive tyres now, and I wouldn’t / didn’t ride the 127tpi sidewall anyway I was running snakeskin. Tubeles no problems – up first time on Giant OEM and American classic rims once you have the bead seated.

It’s all subjective, I felt the difference more when I had my shock setup wrong, so that wouldn’t have helped. There is a marked difference between the old Performance and the newer dual compound IMO.

wiggles
    Free Member

Performance schwalbe tyres don’t work… Just like conti non-black chilli tyres stuck to the decent ranges.

dobo
    Free Member

hmm the ralph evo and performance in 2.25 are both 535g. interesting.
    they work tubeless, thats good to know.
    so could just boil down to a bit less grip?
    do they feel harder than the evo? as the evo are quite soft and flexible.

kimbers

performance tyres are moistly crap, sometimes lethal, avoid

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just bought a performance magic mary for my stiffee that I use for long off road ways home from work. I bought it for the harder compound and the fact I ride it most days to work on road. It’s an amazing tyre so god knows how good one one would be in the evo compound (I’ll find out soon though). They must be epic.
    I have tried fat Albert performance on the rear of the Stiffee and it was good as a back tyre but wouldn’t want one on the front. Very hard wearing but not as much grip.
    I use the evo compounds on my other mtb’s and wouldn’t use the performance tyres but mainly because they barely touch Tarmac so they last ages.
    I tend to stick with schwalbe as I have never had any problems and the are always on offer somewhere.

ste_t
    Free Member

Performance will kill you. Fact.

Kryton57

I think those skating the Performance need to reveal the year of their experience. The ORC (pre ’13) were dreadful. My ’14’s dual compound seem to be fine.

dobo
    Free Member

i may have to test a 29er performance racing ralph at some point on the back to see if they are that bad.
    My trails mostly have road sections which eats through evo, so when it dies im going for it.

ste_t
    Free Member

Mine was 2012. Fast as anything in the dry but no grip whatsoever on anything damp. Terrifying.

Kryton57

That’d be ORC then….

chip
    Free Member

I tested some dual compound performance line muddy Mary’s with a durometer in the summer and they read 68a on the center tread and 60 on the outside.
    It was pretty hot in the loft where they were and all the maxxis 60a tyres were reading 58 so I am guessing the DC Mary’s were closer to 70/62a in normal conditions.

The performance line refers to the cheaper carcass itself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe evolution v performance tyre ride characteristics…’ is closed to new replies.