Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Schwalbe Big Betty
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Does anybody have any experiance with them?

I need some DH tyres for a day at Antur Stiniog but don’t want yhem to cost the earth. They will get used for normal DH sessions too and other day trips for uplift sessions.

Are Big Bettys OK for riding in all but sticky mud?

Thanks.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I used them in les Arc last year. I was happy with them, even when it was raining.

legend
    Free Member

Used one on the back last summer (Muddy Mary up front). Was “meh” at best, sketchy in the loose and tore up surprisingly quickly. Won’t bother buying again

mindmap3
    Free Member

What about some of the Spesh tyres? They seem to get pretty good reviews and I don’t think they are crazy money (unlike Maxxis EXO jobbies).

deviant
    Free Member

Minions in 2.5 flavour are usually fairly cheap on CRC and On-One were doing Chunky Monkeys in 2.4 for about £15 recently.
    Specialized Captain in 2.2 come out bigger than a 2.35 Maxxis, less than £20 also.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I just got back from a weeks riding with Trail Addiction where I ran one on the rear (brand new when I arrived).

I had the Freeride version (snakeskin) – grip was very good (dry conditions – no rain), but I came back with less nobbles than I went out with.

There’s probably only a weeks life (alpine riding) left in it.

Couple of my mates ran Specialized Clutch, which seemed less worn at the end of the week.

Got mine fairly cheaply from On One.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Minions were what I wanted but are over £35 each, I can get the Big Bettys for £15!

I looked at Specialized but they are still up around £30+. The Captain is an XC tyre according to Specialized.

mindmap3
    Free Member

What about the Conti Baron?

CRC are jobbing Intense tyres out cheaply at the mo. They used to get pretty good reviews (less than £20 a tyre).

scottfitz
    Free Member

Give them a go what the worst that could happen?

deviant
    Free Member

The Captain is an XC tyre according to Specialized.

I wouldnt use them for XC, far too burly.

Like i said, they come out wider than the 2.35 High Rollers i took off yesterday.

Its summer and Antur has fairly hard packed trails, a 2.2 Spesh Captain would be fine, high sidewalls/big volume too which on my hardtail make for a remarkable ride….obviously this doesnt matter on FS.

I_Ache
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member
    Give them a go what the worst that could happen?

Given the level of pure skill involved in my DHing probably death.

I meant to say its mid October we are going so there is a high chance of rain. But I can’t imagine Antur gets muddy just wet and slippy. Surely if the tyres have a descent contact patch and are reasonably soft they will be fine on hardpack and even wet rock.

It will be on a reasonably long travel FS FWIW.

rondo101
    Free Member

2 weeks of Alps riding did for the Betty I had on the front of my bike this year. I’m not sure they’re designed for mud though; spiel says they’re a dry/stoney trail tyre (hence using them in the Alps for me). I’ve bought a (very cheap from Germany) muddy mary to try out for UK-based gravity riding this winter.

I’m not sure the longevity issue is specific to the Betty; my wife’s Hans Dampf this year & my Fat Albert last year were similarly worn by the end of two weeks. I’d guess that the good grip is a product of softer, & therefore less-durable, rubber?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m not particularly bothered about them wearing out fast because they are only going to be on for DH sessions. I also have some super tacky Swampthings that I can use for non rocky and more muddy days at the likes of Stile Cop.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have used various combos of Betty/Mary at Stile Cop I think they’re pretty good.

Characteristics are not dissimilar to Minions but the Schwalbes are a more modern design, accurately sized and well worth a punt if you can find them below rrp

Tend to use Bettys (Vertstar F, Trailstar R) when conditions are as they are at the moment and swap to Marys when it gets more ‘dirty’

Vertstar is super grippy – ST/Slow Reezay territory – and doesn’t last very long but hangs on in the most absurd smeary off-camber conditions. Folding version also pretty good if there are pedally sections

scottfitz
    Free Member

Given the level of pure skill involved in my DHing probably death.

Everyone Dies.

Give them a go what the worst that could happen (Apart from death)?

Out of interest where are they £15?

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Likely to be On One http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCBBW/schwalbe_big_betty_wired_tyre

From memory I think you need to spend over £20 to get free delivery

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Big Betty’ is closed to new replies.