Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Schwalbe Addix durability
  • sideshow
    Free Member

So, addix ain’t new no more…

I used to avoid schwalbes as I wore out the sidewalls too fast. Now you mary fans have all had a year to test the new compound, can you tell me whether I’d be happy with their longevity now, or am I better off sticking to maxxiss/spesh?

survivor

I’ve been on Magic Mary front, Hans Dampf rear both in super gravity soft, for about a year now.

Magic Mary is still going strong but I’m on my third Hans Dampf.

Been really impressed with them. Grip has been fantastic across all conditions. My only gripe is no harder compound available when using super gravity casings, hence the three rears to one front.

Did lose a side knob off one of the rears straight away but hasn’t happened on the others.

kneed

There are a few types of Addix.

I have used and abused Addix Speed: Red and Speedgrip: Blue.

And then there’s Soft : orange.

Also some cheapo ‘performance’ tyres have the addix label (no colour or suffix): you would need to contact Schwalbe to explain that marketing confusion.

Any one in particular you are interested in?

russyh
    Free Member

I have found addix soft compound to be fairly woeful.  My recent Hans dampf lasted a couple of months with side knobs falling off.  My Mary’s haven’t faired much better to be honest again side knobs starting to crack and rounding off very quickly!

sideshow
    Free Member

Whatever is recommended for enduro and weighing no more than 1kg – speedgrip or soft? I used to like the trailstar rubber, when it wasn’t worn out at least

chiefgrooveguru

Soft is the replacement for Trailstar. Collecting an MM soft tomorrow for the front of my gnarly hardtail – hoping it performs well as it’s replacing a wonky DHF 2.5 3C.

Northwind

Got to be honest, I can’t tell any difference between the addix and the old versions of the ones I’ve used. (mary dh and assorted rockrazors) . But then, I’ve never worn out a sidewall on any of them (except one that split, which seemed to be damage), the tread’s always gone first or some knobs have dropped off.

russyh
    Free Member

If I could find out how to post a photo again via STW I would show photos of my tyre wear.  I actually purchased specifically a SG RR in trailstar over the new compound recently as I personally believe it to be better made and longer lasting.  I would love a speedgrip 2.35 Hans dampf as I believe that compound to be a better all round rear tyre.  But they won’t/don’t make them.  Reason being ‘the soft rolls as fast and has exceptional wear rate’ was the answer I got when asked 😂

rone

No sidewall issues on the speedgrip blue. Had a couple of sets.

However, do seem to get a fair share of ‘slate’ type punctures where the shale from a man-made MTB track will split the casing.

Plugged twice last week but having said that I’ve been clean for a few months.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Addix Soft MM seems really similar to Supergravity, maybe keeping a square edge a little longer, maybe just my imagination. I wouldn’t use schwalbe on the rear, so no idea of sidewall strength.

2.6 up front is a beast of a tyre.

crashrash

Been using MM 2.35 soft on the front of both my hardtail and FS bikes. Survived a week in Les Get and Morzine better then my Maxxis DHR2 and wear seems OK, though most local riding is mud and peat so not exactly hard on the tyre. I think as front tyre its pretty hard to beat for mixed UK conditions.

propeos
    Free Member

Hi all.

I was looking for information on my front tyre’s (Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix SnakeSkin Folding MTB Tyre Black – Orange 27.5″ 2.35″) durability and came across this forum and post.

So, I have had it since late July and have put ~250-300km on it. After the first ride I noticed one of the side knobs was almost ripped. Now, 25 have either dropped off or are about to.

I have limited experience with tyres. Before the Magic Marry I had a Minion DHR II which lasted me for about 2yrs. It got worn out but none of the knobs were ever damaged like that.

See some photos here:https://imgur.com/a/kGx1wpx Note that all 25 torn and semi-torn knobs are on the left hand side. The right hand side ones are holding on fine.

Any comments and tips will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Contact schwalbe, that’s a warranty job.

russyh
    Free Member

Same as my Hans dampf and 2.35 soft Mary.  2.6 Mary in soft has been superb.  Emailed Schwalbe didn’t get a response.

mboy
    Free Member

Russ, next time i see you mate, If you’ve still got em, give me any defective tyres you’ve still got… I’ll see what I can do.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Schwable do seem to be pretty shit a listening or talking to their customers.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Any comments and tips will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Tip is simple, don’t bother with Schwalbe tyres, for this reason.

They have always been the same, every time I have been given a set to try, the same thing happens. It’s frustrating, because I rate the MM as a tyre.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I had some trailstar snakeskin rock razors a few years ago where all the knobs cracked around the base but I’ve never had a problem with a magic mary.

My last one in snakeskin trailstar compound did over 2 years on the front of my full suss, it was still in good condition when I took it off so I put it on one of my hardtails. I’ve got a super gravity addix ultra soft on there now which is about 6 months old and still looks like new.

russyh
    Free Member

Russ, next time i see you mate, If you’ve still got em, give me any defective tyres you’ve still got… I’ll see what I can do.

I’ll dig them out mate, if I still have em.  You know I’ll still run Schwalbe now.  Like you would give me a choice 😂

joebristol

I like the one Magic Mary I’ve had – I tend to run it October until about April on my hardtail so it doesn’t get ridden on hard ground too much – maybe that’s why it’s lasting better with no knobs ripped off that I’m aware of. Haven’t checked it to see if it’s cracked at all.

Everything I’ve read on forums suggests avoiding Schwalbe for back tyres so I’ve never run one there – either run Aggressors (summer), Smogasbord (summer) or DHR2 on the back. No grumbles with any of those.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I must ride harder as I never had issues with NN Evos, ie pre Addix, on wear or sidewalls.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got good wear out of the Addix Soft Hans Dampf SG (new version), more than 1,100km before I eventually binned it.

The Mary 2.6 in Addix Soft is still looking brand new with sharp edges after about 200km.

I have had the flappy knob issues on the old Hans Dampfs but they seem vastly improved now – though perhaps the odd duff one still sneaks through like Russy’s above.

Most disappointing recent tyre is the Shorty 2.5 MaxxTerra, edges rounding off after a surprisingly short time and all in soft conditions (obvs).

propeos
    Free Member

Thanks all!

It is good to get some additional views, especially since Wiggle more or less told me that it is normal wear and tear! So Wiggle is refusing to refer my case to Schwalbe.

What bugs me even more is that my friend, who recommended this tyre, is a far more aggressive driver than I am, and has the exact same tyre (but it is >1yr old) has had no issues of the sort. We even rode the 200km of my 250km together!

So, and I addition to the right side being fine, I am assuming it is a manufacturing defect specific to my tyre (or batch). So Wiggle’s response is even more frustrating.

I’ll reach out to Schwalbe directly and report back.

@hob-nob-2
    I wanted to stick to DHR2 for the front too but Maxxis only makes 2.4WT nowadays (fits great on the rear Flow rim) and my front rim is pretty narrow so I asked around and was told that Schwalbe has improved.. I might have to go to a 2.3 DHR2.

chakaping
    Free Member

Your pics look just like the flappy knob issue I mentioned on the old Hans Dampfs, do seek an opinion from Schwalbe and let us know what they have to say.

And I’d strongly recommend the 2.6 Mary if you like a bit of girth – absolutely loving that tyre.

propeos
    Free Member

Thanks. Maybe it is time for a new front rim.

Kryton57

2.6 Mary here. Awesome tyre.

rOcKeTdOg

Wait til next week & ask Mboy

philjunior
    Free Member

Not convinced Soft is massively better than Trailstar was.

If you want durability, you could go for the “bike park” spec MM’s.

seb84

How does 2.6 mm compare to 2.35? If it’s basically the same but better that sounds fantastic

dropoff

Ok so for my 2 penny worth. MM SG soft is an awesome tyre and lasts ages. HD SG soft grips superbly but as others have said only lasts 3 months. The problem with Schwalbe is there is no SG blue HD tyre available.

chakaping
    Free Member

How does 2.6 mm compare to 2.35? If it’s basically the same but better that sounds fantastic

Basically bigger and better. And even more versatile.

By far the best all rounder I’ve used.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

My Magic Mary Ultrasoft lasted for a year or so on the front. That’s riding twice a week, on average, but all off road, and mainly on surfaces that aren’t that abrasive (ie not armoured trail centre stuff, which seems to kill tyres).

JP

propeos
    Free Member

Just to update you, I reached out to Schwalbe and got back an email from Will who said that this damage is unusual and that the retailer should do a physical inspection. I emailed Wiggle with that but have gotten ignored. I tried twice and still no response so I assume that they decided they do not care.

I then put in a claim with PayPal which got rejected: “We understand the item associated with this case has been altered while in your possession. Because of this, we are unable to determine whether the item is significantly different than originally described, and we are unable to grant your claim.” I have no idea what that could mean other than that it was taken out of the box and put on a rim and ridden around.

Anyway, I guess no more Schwalbe tyres for me..

chakaping
    Free Member

I emailed Wiggle with that but have gotten ignored. I tried twice and still no response

Try live chat?

thepurist

Has Mboy developed brant like powers of thread detection?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Addix durability’ is closed to new replies.