Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • School trips / Educational visits KS2
  • cheviots
    Free Member

My son is currently In year 5 at Junior School, by Christmas he’ll have been to three pantomimes and on a day to the seaside (Topic subject) in seven terms at this school.
    His Infant School seemed to be running a school trip every term, various museums, a farm, a Synagogue , botanical gardens etc. Not forgetting the obligatory trip to the Panto!
    His friends at other schools seem to be on one trip or another every term.
    I’m curious to hear what the consensus of opinion is regarding these visits and what’s considered a “reasonable” amount of visits. One a term? One a year?
    I should be speaking with the new Headteacher next week, is there any point raising this matter or is one visit in 2+ years about average?

Thanks

Jaffa Cake anyone!

anagallis_arvensis

Seems alright to me.

hugo
    Free Member

For some kids it will be the only chance they get to do things like this, and for them it’s priceless.

My other half is a headteacher and she used to work in a deprived area where the above was especially true, and so there were loads of trips organised.

For many others of course, the benefit isn’t as great, but it’s hard to get it right for everyone.

Definitely worth asking about it, because you’re interested in it! Would be good to get their thoughts behind it.

MoreCashThanDash

One trip a term – 3 a year – isn’t that bad if they are day trips to on topic things.

Wait for the Year 6 residential trip to the Isle of Wight for £330!

This year we have the Year 4 residential trip – two nights/three days – for £150.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

wow you guys must live in a posh area where the parents pony up. The policy of all the kids go or none go is really annoying. Back in the day if you didnt pay / cant be arsed then you didnt go… now we subsidise the freeloaders. Funny how the freeloaders dont mind when the trips are cancelled because not enough people paid up. We’ll be lucky if we get 1/2 trips a year

nuke

Kids in primary school having fun on outings with their friends…fine by me 😀

hammerite
    Free Member

Are the school year sizes different between the infant and junior school? Bigger year groups make it more difficult to organise trips.

Also worth being aware of a change to the curriculum last year. If topics etc… have changed then the teachers need to invest a little more time in finding suitable (appropriate) trips to go on. Sometimes it’s time that is hard to find! I teach in Y3 and we struggled last year to organise any trips due to this. I already have a couple of trips lined up for this year and have been on a sports festival.

SaxonRider

For some kids it will be the only chance they get to do things like this, and for them it’s priceless.

This. And many of the trips make for good memories for all involved. Just as long as you don’t feel you are constantly paying through the teeth for them.

TomB

I think you’re saying this school isn’t doing enough trips, is that right? I would agree with those that see them as a valuable and worthwhile addition.

cheviots
    Free Member

Yes not enough trips.
    One term topic was the Romans, we are 45 mins from York so you’d expect a visit to one of the museums at least but nothing happened. Luckily we are able to go on visits/days out as a family but not everyone can.

hammerite
    Free Member

Cheviots – we’re doing Romans now. Going to the local museum in two weeks time for some artefact fumbling.

hugo
    Free Member

Apologies, I thought you were coming at it from the potentially too much time out of class angle.

It’s amazing what kids get out of them, especially socially when it comes to the bigger trips.

Example of a 2 day trip to London from Manchester for Year 6 (10/11 years) kids:

Most of them not been to London – maybe expected
    Many never spent a night away from their parents – yes, maybe
    Many never slept away from home/stayed in a hotel – ok
    Some never left Manchester – slightly worrying
    Some never eaten in a non maccies type restaurant – Nandos was the fancy choice
    Some never been on a train – wtf

The actual London bit was far less informative of life outside of a tough estate than the actual mechanics of the trip!

cheviots
    Free Member

I’m firmly of the opinion that a great deal of enthusiasm for a topic can be generated prior to a visit and the classroom work benefits afterwards.
    Also as already stated some kids don’t get the opportunity to experience different places/environments etc.
    Definitely in favour of more trips for my sons school.
    Thanks everyone

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘School trips / Educational visits KS2’ is closed to new replies.