• This topic has 67 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • School run near miss
  • pdw
    Free Member

Not sure what the point of this post is other than venting.

Cycling with our 2 young kids through our village to school this morning, single file with kids in front of me. The road is wide enough for two cars to pass comfortably, but definitely not wide enough for 2 cars + bike.

There’s a car coming the other way, and I hear a car approaching from behind so assume they’re going to wait. I very quickly realise that unbelievably they’re going to go for it even though there very clearly isn’t space. She ends up squeezing past my 8yo with just inches to spare. I screamed some very regrettable language so loudly that I still have a headache, but the she didn’t stop or even slow down.

Sure enough, it’s one of the mums from my son’s class. I clocked where she’d parked and was intending to give her a firm, if more polite, appraisal of her driving after drop-off. As it was, she came and apologised to me, with some incoherent explanation about not realising there was a car there. I didn’t not accept her apology and instead expressed disbelief that she hadn’t seen the car, and suggested that she needed to think when driving.

The thing that bugs me most is that this wasn’t an aggressive move, or someone being optimistic thinking they’d get through before the car coming the other way, or even someone who hadn’t spotted the two small kids in front of me. It was just someone not thinking at all.

I just don’t understand how people can be so awful at driving, and more, how as parent of a young child you can be so utterly careless when driving around other small children. I just don’t get it.

Last half term my son was back at school, and I switched to having him ride on the road through the village rather than the pavement as there was less traffic and it avoided social distancing awkwardness with pedestrians.

There are many driveways that cross the pavement, and I’ve always been very nervous about the risk of people pulling out from them so have carried on with this this term, but obviously there’s more traffic, and with two of them it’s much harder to keep all three of us close together.

I’m conscious that if there had been a collision, there would probably be people questioning why they were on the road, but they’re both very good riders and can and did hold a perfectly straight line. I naïvely assume that with the majority of people passing us being other parents they’ll be extra careful and considerate when passing (plus, if you’re passing us it means that whilst you might still be late, you’re not last so you can chill out and stop rushing).

That’s turned into quite a long and pointless ramble, but I just need to vent.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nightmare.

Not criticising at all, but in that situation you need to be out far enough that the clown cannot pass you, if you give them half a chance they’ll pass.

Well done for not going off on one at her though.

pdw
    Free Member

I genuinely thought we were! Some pipe work a few years ago has marked a nice “track” a sensible distance from the kerb, and the kids ride on that rather than hugging the kerb, and I ride a bit wider out than that.

But you’re right, the fact that they tried it means I need to be further out.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’m the same when the young ones are on the road, they are always in front so I can give (shout) instructions. I’ll always cycle further out into the road, than either of them are, so the car coming behind has to give a wide berth or I get hit first!! Speeds and impatience has been increasing recently…

molgrips
    Free Member

Shocking, yes, but it’s a good argument for ‘taking the lane’ when necessary. People tend not to drive straight over you when you are in front of them, but the are quite likely to squeeze past when they think you’re just something in the gutter.

And similar to above, I ride behind my kids and a good deal further out – and whenever I hear a car I turn around and try to make eye contact. This makes a big difference.

Glad you are all ok and that she at least acknowledged her mistake.

andybrad

ride on the pavement with kids.

just too dangerous on the roads. Worrying about who is to blame is pointless when somones been injured.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not nice, but as above, on sections of road where it isn’t safe to pass, make it clear that you are commanding that bit of road space.

I always remember TfL reccommdations that bus lanes should NOT be between 3.2 and 3.7m. less than 3.2, the overtake is clearly not on, above 3.7 there was room. Between the two, bad judgement calls were made. Close off the gaps you don’t want people to use.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m going to guess she was driving an Audi Q5. A white one. Classic mumsy idiot machines.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ride on the pavement with kids.

just too dangerous on the roads. Worrying about who is to blame is pointless when somones been injured.

I get your line of thinking, but at school in and home time, when there’s kids and parents on said pavement, then it’s not on really.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The school run brings out the inner idiot in so many people. Well done for not turning into one and keeping calm.

andybrad

I get your line of thinking, but at school in and home time, when there’s kids and parents on said pavement, then it’s not on really.

why so? its not like your tramming along at pace?

pdw
    Free Member

Not quite a Q5, but a completely stereotypical nondescript identikit SUV. If I hadn’t clocked the reg, there’s no way I could have picked it out when I got to school 🙂

I agree completely with the second bit, but despite (or perhaps until… I haven’t decided) today’s incident, I genuinely believe that it’s safer on the road due to the risk from cars emerging from driveways.

Plus, there’s only a pavement on one side of the road. This means that on the way to school, I can put the kids on the pavement, and I can ride on the road forcing drivers to slow down and/or give space.

Coming the other way, I can’t, and once you’re on the pavement you’re as good as not there. Drivers will happily pass each other at the speed limit leaving absolutely no allowance for the possibility of people falling into the road, something which my son managed a few years ago.

dknwhy

That’s awful and unfortunately the sort of thing that I’m seeing more and more often. Selfish, self-absorbed people.

Was akin to the idiocy I saw at Bedgebury yesterday where loads of cars were driving at 20-30mph around the car park. The place was full of people. Why anyone would think that anything above 5mph is acceptable in that situation is beyond me.

franksinatra

I’m conscious that if there had been a collision, there would probably be people questioning why they were on the road,

Hopefully more people questioning why the driver hit the kids though.

As said above, don’t be shy of owning the road. I always ride in primary position quite close to my kids. This forces cars to go wide. I do however make a point of pulling in a waving cars on when it is clear opportunity to overtake. Not your fault though, idiots will be idiots whatever you do.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I’m the same when the young ones are on the road, they are always in front so I can give (shout) instructions. I’ll always cycle further out into the road, than either of them are, so the car coming behind has to give a wide berth or I get hit first!! Speeds and impatience has been increasing recently…

Very much this, additionaly if I judge a car coming up behind might try something stupid with oncoming vehicles or road furniture I’ll pull right out into the road so they can’t physically get past me without running me over and then wave them through when the danger is past.

mccraque

This fills me with terror. I get my lad to ride on the path to school for the most part for the very reason that people just do not think. I was put over the bonnet by a distracted mum a couple of Xmas’s back, so am perhaps even more twitchy as a result.

I’ll happily take the wrath of pedestrians rather than my son taking the passenger door of a SUV.

MoreCashThanDash

It was just someone not thinking at all.

That is the root cause of a lot of our traffic problems. And cyclists are not immune to it either.

You did nothing wrong. Pavements are for pedestrians. Maybe you could have been in a more primary position, maybe not. Keep on doing the right thing, only you know your kids and the roads involved.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

why so? its not like your tramming along at pace?

Exactly, you’ll be going at walking pace, so will end up just pushing the bikes, kinda pointless really. If I was walking young kids to school and a parent was cycling with kids on the pavement, I’d be having a word, wouldn’t you?.

pdw
    Free Member

Pedestrians aren’t really the issue. The kids have had bells, slowing down, and manners hammered into them so it’s not a problem, although I’m conscious that it must be a little annoying for other parents rushing their kids to school on foot to need to keep stepping aside.

As for “tramming along”, there is a little dip on the way there that gets used as a Vmax test, if it’s clear. We’ve seen 20mph with a tailwind.

speccyguy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about screaming at idiots, it might help them remember.

Something similar happened to me and the kid when we had our cargo bike. I screamed, a lot, at someone who came frightenly close to taking us out. It turned out to be one of the school dads.

When I got to the school gates I apologised for getting Mamma Bear on him but when someone nearly kills my kid then nature takes over. Did he understand that it was a primal instinct to react like that? He did, and then the lightbulb went off that he’d caused it with his driving. He was much better for the next year or two but then last week I saw him sail through a red light 200m from school.

andybrad

so long as they were at a reasonable pace then no i wouldnt be bothered.

Im taking mine to school on bike. I dont think its safe on the road at all and use the pavement. I think society is so anti bike (although its improved a little recently) that if me and my child were to get killed the most the driver would get is a telling off. Ive even had “punishment passes” with her in a trailer. Some people are dicks and im not taking that gamble im afraid.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Not thinking is the cause of so many accidents and its almost impossible to eradicate. Its too big an ask to expect drivers to stay focused 100% on driving when its so routine and their minds are easily distracted so you just have to assume everyone else is an idiot to minimise the risk.

This isn’t to excuse poor driving in any way, it’s just a self preservation strategy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s your call, 100%.

I’m of the opinion that the road is a shared space, the pavement isn’t, drivers need to understand this, and seeing folk cycling on a busy pavement reinforces the ridiculous thought that they own the **** road.

DezB
    Free Member

After the event, an apology is all you can hope for, so at least you’ve got that.
    Anyone who’s done a driver’s awareness course will know that you can’t change people’s driving.

DezB
    Free Member

As a bit of balance, saw this van driver patiently waiting behind 3 kids on bikes on this busy road this morning. Not sure if he saw me but I waved a thank you as I rode past the other way.
    Stupid camera lens was mucky, so unfortunately I can’t see the livery, I would email them complimenting the driver otherwise.

tomd
    Free Member

Amateur school run bad driving. Last year one of the mums at our daughters’ primary crashed into the back of a stationary bus, veered across the road, pavement and into a wall. This happened 200m short of the school. Then she got arrested for drink driving at 9am.

Some people’s lives are absolutely dumpster fires and their driving can reflect that.

pdw
    Free Member

As I say, the main reason I choose the road is because I think, on balance, it’s safer (although only on one of the two roads to school). Some of the driveways are so blind it’s ridiculous.

Anyone who’s done a driver’s awareness course will know that you can’t change people’s driving.

Maybe. I think in this instance she genuinely doesn’t know how to drive. As in, she doesn’t know how to pass bikes safely, and might respond to training. As opposed to the “speed limits don’t apply to me because I’m a good driver” brigade.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its too big an ask to expect drivers to stay focused 100% on driving when its so routine and their minds are easily distracted

It’s not too much to ask. Driving through a village near a school is EXACTLY the time to be concentrating on your driving as hard as you can.

franksinatra

For the sake of balance, I should point out that you and your kids don’t pay road tax, you don’t have insurance, you should have to pass a test and have a number plate on your bike. You jump red lights, kill pedestrians and are a bloody menace.

matt_outandabout

That’s great dezb, shame you can’t get in touch and be positive.

Daffy

Same here with my kids school, also in a village. The number of horns, close passes, etc we’ve had…

There’s no joined up thinking, or at times, any think going on at all.

They’re dropping their kids off at school, but are late so they drive at 40 in a 20, NEAR THE BLOODY SCHOOL!

70%+ of all cars at my school are SUVs. More than 30% are of the >2.5t category.

anagallis_arvensis

Get a camera and report the useless **** to the police.

Kryton57

Just report white van man who tried to sandwich me between a parked van and his, done deliberately with aggressive high revs forcing me to slide toward the back of the parked one to avoid pulling out.

He sat kindly on a green light presumably waiting to have an argument, but I just remained at a distance and took a picture and reported him when I got home.    If I’d have pulled out to pass that van I’d have been seriously injured at best.

Doubt anything will come of it.

tdog
    Free Member

Braindead cagers- place them on a motorcycle , they would struggle to think for a single minute alone.

the roads are quite literally full of braindead muppets

globalti
    Free Member

Not to mention those who never took lessons or a test but just paid for a licence.

5lab

I ride on the road with my 4-year old sometimes (very quiet roads through the village). In those instances I ride in an extremely defensive position, just behind but out far enough to be alongside him. That way if he decides to swerve, he’ll clatter me rather than any traffic, and there is no way of a car getting through. I sometimes get beeps (he’s not very quick) – I once even got a complaint on the local facebook group (haha) but the section is less than half a mile with poor sight lines, so I just stick there till everyone can see (no pavement to go on either way)

matt_outandabout

I’d join in with my own tale of poor driving and road rage and around children from this weekend, but seeing as it might end up with an assault and due care and attention charge, I’m staying shtumn on the details…

Suffice to say, one driver thinks it’s ok to drive straight into a group of children on bikes, having swerved around an adult holding hand up to stop traffic…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

People tend not to drive straight over you when you are in front of them

Want to bet? not the sort of thing I’d want to bet my life on let alone the lives of my kids. I’ve nearly been run off the road a few times by drivers who were coming through no matter what and if it were not due to me riding right into the gutter of the road or even off the road onto the pavement or verge then they’d have had me with no chance of stopping. Some drivers either are ignorant about the width of their cars or are determined to win that game of chicken.

In a fight between you and a car the car will always win. You cannot take the aggressive position when on a bike. Well you can…and you might get away with, it but doesn’t take alot for it to quickly become a nasty situation, and it only needs to happen once. Rather you than me.

Personally I’ll always yield to a car and call them a few choice words under my breath once I’ve survived the encounter. And wouldn’t be taking my kids on the road during rush hour…not at the ages they’re at currently at least. Life is too short to get angry about it or take them on or take silly risks putting your life into other peoples hands. Put it down to ‘dicks being dicks’ and crack on.

tjagain

the only times I have had a dangerous overtake is when I have not been concentrating and ridden too close to the kerb. Had a good few like this – never had one when taking the lane.

Bez

If I was walking young kids to school and a parent was cycling with kids on the pavement, I’d be having a word, wouldn’t you?

Round here, and in most other places, there are no cycleways, only shared pavements. Some of the narrowest pavements are the ones explicitly signed as shared.

But if you’re going to get anywhere on these you need to join them up with stretches where you choose between the carriageway or a bit of pavement that doesn’t have little blue circular signs (but are in all other respects no different).

In our case one of those roads is one of the busiest and almost certainly the most dangerous one in town (a 30mph road where I’ve seen multiple cars on their roofs, one embedded in a wall, and plenty more). Technically the shared stretch of pavement starts at the most dangerous crossroads in town (regular collisions, the most recent one fatal—and yes, still in a 30 limit), which would involve the most ludicrous manoeuvre to get from the road to the shared pavement.

Anyway, pretty much everyone here who cycles with kids uses the pavements and I’ve never encountered an issue or a confrontation in the 6 years ours have been riding their own bikes to school. We’re considerate, I rarely see anyone else on a bike who isn’t, and it’s all friendly, even at school run time when the pavements and shared paths are rammed. So, here at least, the most common answer to “wouldn’t you?” is a resounding “no”.

Let’s face it, the council is allowed to get away with not building cycling infrastructure by just directing people to ride on pavements—it’s only that little blue circular sign that represents the fine line between legitimised local authority incompetence and citizen-on-citizen confrontation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘School run near miss’ is closed to new replies.