Viewing 36 posts - 401 through 436 (of 436 total)
  • School Run driver runs into teacher
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not but when it happens how has violence helped?
    Two wrongs do not make a right

jamj1974

Two wrongs do not make a right

I don’t disagree Junky.

Edukator
    Free Member

Damage my stuff on purpose and get a thump. It really is that simple.

You thump them, they fall, head injury, death, manslaughter charge, guilty, jail, bankrupted by compensation for the poor man’s wife and kids, your own wife and kids end up back at her mother’s. Everybody hates you for being a short-tempered, violent… .

Are you just an Internet hardman or are you really a short-tempered, violent… ?

jamj1974

Are you just an Internet hardman. ?

Far from it Edukator. I think I my posts here over a number of years would clearly show that is not the case. Not an internet hardman or keyboard warrior. I would suggest that’s probably the last thing I would be hated for on here.

Someone who would be incredibly annoyed at someone else damaging my property – most definitely. I think most people here would be, but some love to pretend they would not…

aracer
    Free Member

You’re attributing your own values to other people and failing to appreciate that some people have a sense of proportion.

Though also see kerley’s post up there.

Oh, and you do realise that Edu was giving you two options and pointing out you’re one or the other?

Cougar

Have you considered counselling?

Someone damaged my stuff on purpose, I’d be very cross and probably very upset. I can be irrationally bad tempered in the wrong circumstances. But thump someone for it? That’s so far out of my sphere of experience that I can’t even recognise it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Use your property as a weapon and injure somebody go to prison, It’s really that simple 😉

jamj1974

Have you considered counselling

Generally I have a lot of respect for your view Cougar, but here you are making a huge assumption based on one post. I don’t have anger issues. I do have a problem with people wilfully and maliciously damaging the property of others.

Oh, and you do realise that Edu was giving you two options and pointing out you’re one or the other?

No? Really? Maybe I was suggesting it’s a completely false proposition. I’m neither.

I’ll say once again – my posting history on subjects as diverse amd and as emotive as theft, threatening neighbours, relationship issues or other negative or antisocial behaviours is far from that of a keyboard warrior or crazed vigilante. Also, I don’t suffer from road rage – nor do my family and friends live in fear of a ferocious and disproportionate temper – which would be indicative of issues.

I do know that if I came across someone keying my car, or breaking the window of my home or any similar activity – that I would be very angry – as many would admit. In that circumstance and the heat of the moment, I simply recognise that I am not likely to act as calmly as I do otherwise… I don’t think that would be unusual in the population.

You do both realise that malicious damage of property is often a proxy for violence towards others…? The act of vandalism itself is often intended in act and perception as a violent and threatening behaviour- directly intended to provoke fear and to intimidate the person who owns the property. Malicious damage of property is still often an offence against the person.

Cougar

I don’t have anger issues. I do have a problem with people wilfully and maliciously damaging the property of others.

And I share your objections. The difference is the reaction.

You said you’re happy to thump someone if they damage your property. I’ll concede that my initial post was both partially tongue-in-cheek and (because I’m so very tired, sorry) probably inflammatory, but with all due respect that’s not a normal rational reaction IMHO. In that situation I’d absolutely *want* to thump them, but the truth is that I’m a drink of water and I’d be Mr Shouty of East Lancashire and probably hitting the nearest Internet mountain biking forum to complain about it rather than committing ABH.

Cougar

And y’know, on that ‘tired’ note I’m going to bed to fail to sleep. I’ll pick this back up in the morning.

jamj1974

I am never ‘happy’ with the idea of thumping someone. Probably why I have never started a fight…

sbob
    Free Member

jamj1974

Use your property as a weapon and injure somebody go to prison, It’s really that simple

I think I said the same at least twice – the first time in page 1 or 2… I was speaking in general – not in this specific situation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So where did the random touch my stuff get lamped bit come from?

jamj1974

It was the ‘people care too much about stuff, especially cars’ bit…

And it wasn’t “touch my stuff”. It was wilfully damage my stuff.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks for proving the point.

kerley
    Free Member

I do have a problem with people wilfully and maliciously damaging the property of others.

I am pretty sure most people would. Why you feel the need for violence as a solution or reaction is the area you are moving away from most people.

Would you punch someone for sitting on your bonnet or would they have to actually put a tiny mark on it?

thecaptain
    Free Member

And would you punch someone who drove into you (albeit gently) while they were stopping you from driving onto private land?

jamj1974

Firstly, I wouldn’t act in the way the driver did in the first place. Courteous, considerate driving always wins. Safe driving always wins. I don’t have this sense of ‘driver entitlement’. Partly altruistic and partly because I know it would have a negative impact on my state of mind. I often see bad driving around my children’s schools and avoid the conflict, the obstruction and general lack of consideration by parking further away and walking. We have moved recently and walking to the school from home is not an option.

Secondly, I live my life people first. I spend a huge amount of time and effort ensuring that as a member of society I do my absolute best to look after others. Parent, friend, colleague and even here – I like to think my care of others is a positive force and also evident. I walk the walk that I talk in that respect.

Thirdly, I don’t put people before things. So I have not made anyone’s point thank you. However, if someone is damaging my property and frankly not respecting me as a person, that is beyond the pale. I’m not like some on here who a few years ago relished the death of a bike thief when he drowned whilst escaping. I don’t walk the streets as a crazed vigilante. However, I am not naive enough to think that if I caught someone in the act – I might react less than ideally. I also do not see protecting my property as failing to put people first. It is a completely and I would say deliberately false argument.

funkmasterp

I sit on or lean against car bonnets on a semi regular basis. This is due to people parking illegally on the pavement about an inch from my front door. Act like an entitled arse who can do what they want. Then I’m using your car as a bike rest or temporary sofa.

Strangely I’ve never been thumped. I’ve had people ask what I’m doing sat on their car. I’ve asked what they’re doing parking illegally, blocking access and restricting a view from a side road. This results in mumbling and them not parking there again. Perhaps I should just leave a note under their wipers or go to jail for property disrespect.

jamj1974

thecaptain – Member
    And would you punch someone who drove into you (albeit gently) while they were stopping you from driving onto private land?

Seeing as I resisted that after being deliberately rammed on a public road – despite driving considerately, the answer is no. I also, as I have pointed out not four times on this thread – don’t see parking near my children’s school as some right. I don’t understand that crazed view.

jamj1974

sit on or lean against car bonnets on a semi regular basis. This is due to people parking illegally on the pavement about an inch from my front door.

We suffer from this too. Even complete blocking of the drive. I don’t lean on their property though despite that. I do challenge them on their return to their vehicle though – if I happen to be outside at the time.

Act like an entitled arse who can do what they want.

One of my points is – don’t act like an entitled arse. I don’t see why people do or think they can do.

Then I’m using your car as a bike rest or temporary sofa.

That is the only point where we differ…

funkmasterp

We suffer from this too. Even complete blocking of the drive. I don’t lean on their property though despite that. I do challenge them on their return to their vehicle though – if I happen to be outside at the time.

I actually started off being very polite and asking people not to park there. It didn’t work though. It would seem that a lot of people think they can park where ever they’d like and talking to them reasonably doesn’t work. Showing them that they are acting like dickheads seems to get the message across though. Act like a **** and you’re going to get treated like one.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You said you’re happy to thump someone if they damage your property. I’ll concede that my initial post was both partially tongue-in-cheek and (because I’m so very tired, sorry) probably inflammatory, but with all due respect that’s not a normal rational reaction IMHO. In that situation I’d absolutely *want* to thump them, but the truth is that I’m a drink of water and I’d be Mr Shouty of East Lancashire and probably hitting the nearest Internet mountain biking forum to complain about it rather than committing ABH.

Jamj has nothing to worry about, most people who get angry enough to think that they wouldn’t be able to control themselves – actually do – mostly out of fear.

It’s the people who don’t get angry, the ones that silently assess whether thumping you is going to be 1) amusing 2) whether they have time for it 3) whether they can get away with it (eg use the excuse of self-defence) and 4) whether it’s profitable, eg whether the risk of trouble is worth the potential gains – these are the people that need to be worried about.

Jamj doesn’t need to see a shrink, he sounds well within the normal boundaries of psychology.

Leku
    Free Member

sit on or lean against car bonnets on a semi regular basis.

When I come across a car in a bike zone at traffic lights I do enjoy propping myself up with a hand on their bonnet. It pisses them off hugely.

aracer
    Free Member

Unless your original claim was just made for lolz, then that’s not possible – the point is you must be one or the other. If you really would lamp somebody (as most of your posts are suggesting) then you’re violent with a short fuse, because as many of us have pointed out that isn’t what most of us would do. However I suspect (hope) in reality you wouldn’t, given you’ve now pointed out you didn’t punch somebody when provoked…

You do both realise that malicious damage of property is often a proxy for violence towards others…? The act of vandalism itself is often intended in act and perception as a violent and threatening behaviour- directly intended to provoke fear and to intimidate the person who owns the property. Malicious damage of property is still often an offence against the person.

Price of fish? We were discussing somebody sitting on the bonnet of a car as part of an attempt to stop the driver doing something he’s not supposed to – you’re the one who jumped in with the thumping somebody damaging your property line. You’re now extrapolating to a completely different point (I’m tempted to suggest it’s a bit strawmanny – nobody was discussing deliberate property damage).

Rockape63
    Free Member

When I come across a car in a bike zone at traffic lights I do enjoy propping myself up with a hand on their bonnet. It pisses them off hugely.

And we wonder why car drivers hate cyclists! 😕

jamj1974

You’re now extrapolating to a completely different point (I’m tempted to suggest it’s a bit strawmanny – nobody was discussing deliberate property damage).

You are not wrong there. I went off on a complete tangent. Probably not helped by being extremely drained.

jamj1974

the point is you must be one or the other.

I’m still umconvinced. Lets leave it there though as I dont want to continue diverting this thread.

GrahamS

Part of me agrees that they shouldn’t be getting pissed off if you’re just gently resting and not causing any damage.

BUT… I’d question the sense in knowingly pissing off people (justified or otherwise) when they have several tons of metal to hit you with.

DezB
    Free Member

Price of fish?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is that a motorpike? The fastest fish in the river. Second fastest is motorpike with sidecarp.

crazyjenkins01

This has happened several times to us. Which in turn, stopped my wife going to work, being unable to go out of the house further than a walk with our less than 6month old baby and another time dropping my daughter to school (thanks grandma) good job I was already at work as I would absolutely have used my work van as a very large blockage and they would have been told to “go forth and multiply” when asking me to move it. As this would happen whether I happen to be outside or not.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he sounds well within the normal boundaries of psychology

Not sure that us your area of expertise Tom 😉

pondo

Children hurt in Stainforth school car park collision – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-41609681

THAT’S why schools prefer to segregate cars and kids, so far as possible.

Coyote
    Free Member

*awaits the usual suspects to come along and blame the children*

Viewing 36 posts - 401 through 436 (of 436 total)

The topic ‘School Run driver runs into teacher’ is closed to new replies.