Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • School leaver pranks
  • LD
    Free Member

Friend of my son’s abseiled off the School roof today as his last day of 6th year. Quite impressive I thought. Head teacher has banned him from going to leavers prom and janny has his ropes and gear. Fair or Harsh?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Harsh.

northernmatt

Harsh. Also, abseil into prom.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Wally

Glad he is safe. The sooner exams are moved forward, results come out in mid July and then you do the University merry-go-round the better.

matt_outandabout

Harsh.

Jack was planning to ride his bike down from second floor, I’m not sure why he didn’t in the end.

Tbf, the same school had a few ‘issues’ today – including ninja/balaclava’d student wandering through smoking the a nice fat spliff…

LD
    Free Member

Yep seen that photo too Matt. Cam and Joe have been talking about the stairs gap jump but I think this might put Cam off. Apparently Jack’s not doing it was coz covid!

onehundredthidiot

Ours bailed out of silliness as “prom” was held over them. In a classic piece of thinking prom is before their last official day so…..

In Scotland exams start next week and finish end of May, so S6 pretty much have finished classes.

bruneep

“prom”🙄  this is not ‘merica

bigdaddy

@bruneep they all have proms now! My son is leaving school this year after GCSEs and is also having prom attendance held over them! He’s got another month yet before exams though here in the south…

db

Fair. He has been dick and whilst he might have the knowledge to rig an abseil correctly the person who tries to emulate him might not. Punishment is there to make the next person think twice.

butcher

Pretty sure if I had abseiled from the school roof I wouldn’t have been allowed near the place again, and there wouldn’t have been any question in that before doing.

I’m surprised it’s a thing tbh and that anyone thinks they might get away with it. Maybe things have changed a lot since I was at school.

pondo

Fair. Dick move.

northernsoul

And all because the lady loves… Is it a mixed school?

chewkw
    Free Member

Fair or Harsh?

Fair.

If something happened to him the school will be blamed/sued and probably someone will lose his/her job because of him.

MoreCashThanDash

Easy to laugh and think it’s harsh, but chewkw makes a fair point.

Spin
    Free Member

I don’t think the school could have responded otherwise.

I do however have some admiration for such antics over the usual crap which largely seems to be vandalism.

convert

A good thing to do, but a fair consequence. One I’d hope I would have been mature enough to appreciate was likely when I decided to do it and happy enough to take in good grace when it came.

But…….

as his last day of 6th year.

You what now – it’s April. What part of the world are we talking?

And the copycat ‘prom’ tradition in the UK is shit shit shit. The pressure to spunk daft money on a chavtastic ‘limo’. Naff – the UK has no spine as we jerk off to gaudy ‘merican aspirations.

LD
    Free Member

Scotland – start of exam leave for highers, so last day of normal school.

crazy-legs

Our school had a specific abseil point set up on the roof of the science block. There was a very securely locked door onto the roof though!

Abseil point was used a lot by the cadets and sometimes for charity stuff. Forward rappel off it you could get down 4 floors in 4 seconds!

I think the best one was a temporary bus stop sign in the middle of the cricket pitch. Beautifully done, the turf remained immaculate.

Merak

Abseiling kid is a boss.

slowoldman

Well I would have gone for the ab rather than the prom.

gecko76

Leavers Proms are a primary school thing round here (Edinburgh). It’s mental. No pranks though.

reeksy

I was lucky to go to a pretty relaxed school. We did our leaving prank the night before the fifth years finished so it would look like they did it.

We did leave a tin of white paint behind.

Some other mates abseiled into the quad and padlocked it from inside.

Tradition was to run around the quad roof on the final day. I remember the Head laughing but not really saying much more.

Ambrose

Son number 1 released 1000 bouncy balls down the stairs into the leavers assembly. Acceptable.

Abseiling and gap jumps, sorry but no.

thols2

Harsh. Suspended sentence would have been appropriate.

Drac

Worth it

At least it’s there weren’t put in danger, Unlike putting hundreds of balls on a stairs, a child could have slipped and bit another child’s face

Suspended sentence would have been appropriate.

Nice!

duckman

Ambrose
    Son number 1 released 1000 bouncy balls down the stairs into the leavers assembly. Acceptable

Fair…as long as he and his mates picked them up afterwards. ( I am a teacher)

Muck up day has made me use my all time favourite line in a school and one I don’t expect to ever repeat. ” Jock; stop arguing and just give me the chicken.” Teuchter boy had come in on the school bus and neither the driver nor his tutor teacher he had gone to say goodbye to had questioned the live chicken in a cat box he was carrying.
    The problem is that a lot of the pranks are just vandalism or dangerous ( washing up liquid on banisters to junior canteen was one hilarious jape.) Or the cat food down the back of built in cabinets that meant they had to removed for cleaning then reinstated at a fair expense by joiners. That is just shithousery.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I remember a teacher at my school that promised he was going to ride the (dismantled) Lambretta in his cupboard down the stairs on his last day. Changed times.

I can see both sides of the abseiling thing, at the end of the day they can’t really condone it so here we are. I’d be asking for the gear back though.

StirlingCrispin

Friend of my son’s abseiled off the School roof today as his last day of 6th year.

Harsh but fair.
    Heard about this from Thump – If any kid in Scotland was qualified to do this it was him.

An apology to the headteacher and a promise not to do it again should be enough to get an entry to the prom – or go as a “date”.

Spin
    Free Member

The problem is that a lot of the pranks are just vandalism or dangerous

Some pupils really seem to feel like they want to do damage to the school and there’s often a sort of mass hysteria around it which draws in others who wouldn’t otherwise. This really annoys me as in most instances they’ve got no reason to feel aggrieved about their time in school and are merely acting like spoiled brats. If you want to kick against something go find something proper to kick against, not a bunch of people who have for the most part tried their best for you for the previous 5 or 6 years and certainly don’t do something that will make a load of work for the cleaners.

onehundredthidiot

I’m with @Spin on this. I hate it and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    N5 class chucking water balloons through the window of the class they’ve just come out of and next week I’ve to try and get them through any missed assessments.

jairaj

At my mates school someone let two sheep loose in the school ground with numbers 1 & 3 spray painted on the side.

The staff where running around all day trying to find sheep number 2!

😄

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Fair. He has been dick and whilst he might have the knowledge to rig an abseil correctly the person who tries to emulate him might not.

And why is that his problem?

This idea that people shouldn’t do stuff because other people ate incapable is weird.

matt_outandabout

Heard about this from Thump – If any kid in Scotland was qualified to do this it was him.

A very good point….

😎

garage-dweller

And why is that his problem?

This idea that people shouldn’t do stuff because other people ate incapable is weird.

It is not. It is the school’s problem. The act was undertaken on their property by their student and in breach of their rules and could lead to copy cat incidents or other outcomes that put students, staff or property at risk.

It is therefore within their remit to treat it as a disciplinary matter and hand out appropriate sanctions.

Being able to do something that someone else cannot is not carte blanche to do it whenever and wherever you choose.

shermer75
    Free Member

Fair. I love that the kid did it and no-one got hurt, but the school has to take the responsible position on this

reeksy

Being able to do something that someone else cannot is not carte blanche to do it whenever and wherever you choose.

FFS get a grip. Where’s the fire? Teenagers have fun doing something a bit risky. That’s ordinary healthy behaviour.

Drac

Would you jump off a school roof just because he did?

mert
    Free Member

Our little gang made sure be we were off-site and we’ll out of the way for the few days of chaos caused by the school vandals.

Fire alarms, blocked sinks and toilets, expanding foam in the electrical boxes, locking all the toilet doors from the outside.

Joyous times. I was in the pub, or out on my bike somewhere far far away from school. Worst thing they could have done was ban me from the end of year party for being off site. Which I had absolutely _no_ intention of going to. Under any circumstances.

slowoldman

Would you jump off a school roof just because he did?

You do know how abseiling works do you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.