Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • School "Houses"
  • colournoise

First lot were named after writers. I was in Tennyson, can’t remember the others.

Secondary school they were imaginatively named after colors. I was in Blue.

As a teacher I helped set up a house system, where the house names were chosen to reflect the departments attached to them so we had Brunel, Perkins, Winston, King and Lennon. I was head of Lennon (which, without my executive veto, would have been called Shackleton).

hammerite
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking mefty, just wasn’t 100%.

cheers_drive

In middle school I was in (Philipa) Pearce, I wanted to be in (Roald) Dahl, still have no idea what (Alan) Garner wrote.
    I live in the Fens now so I suppose being in Pearce was prophetic!

ojom
    Free Member

Aye we had a few
    Cornwallis
    Hood
    Hawke
    Anson
    Collingwood
    St Vincent
    Raleigh
    Drake
    Blake
    Howe and,
    Nelson

You can guess the theme. I started in Cornwallis (no.48) 1990, moved to Blake (no.51) then Drake (no.43) then Nelson 1996/7. By Nelson we could operate by surname alone cause we was all grown up.

It was a boarding school. Just in case that wasn’t clear.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Hild(e) and Rosedale were the 2 I was in at my Junior and Comprehensive schools in Saltburn. Can’t remember all the others.

Ambrose

Claytons Primary School, Bourne End, Buckinghamshire: Claytons, Egham, Thames, Wye.

Then I got sent off to Westbrooke Hay Preparatory School. OMG- Culture Shock! Nelson, Wellington, Churchill? and another bloke who sorted out our great empire. Wolfe?

Then Newport (Free) Grammar School. Saxie, Franklin, Trappes and another I can’t remember.

Now I am a teacher myself. Gwenllian (Glas, Blue), Dewi (Gwyrdd, Green), Mair (Yellow, Melyn) and Illtyd (Coch, Red).

GRYFFINDOR!!!!

revs1972
    Free Member

Junior school was Britannia and Concorde . ”Twas up near Filton Airport

Ambrose

ojom… where did you go to school?

johndoh
    Free Member

Airedale
    Nidderdale
    Swaledale
    Wharfedale

King James’s Knaresborough? I was Airedale, 78 to 85

RustySpanner

Benedict.
    Dominic.
    Vincent.

Saints, innit?

andytherocketeer

Middle school was Dover, Canterbury, Leeds, Penshurst. All Kent castles/cathedrals/posh homes.
    Secondary school was Thames, Medway, Dickens and Drake. The symbols of those were the 4 quadrants of the school shield/badge.

Think I was in Dover and Dickens.

tjagain

I have never understood what the house system meant. My school simply had registration classes that were numbered 1-10 in each year and pupils allocated alphabetically and taught in these classes. after 13 we were streamed for english and maths into 3 broad streams and after 14 for all subjects but still only 3 broad streams. A lucky period in glasgow of true comprehensive education. Ruined by the tories with their false “choice” agenda

RustySpanner

I enjoyed the quizzes.

Keando

Romans (Red)
    Saxons (Blue)
    Vikings (Green)
    Normans (Yellow)

anagallis_arvensis

Clent, Malvern, Waseley and Wrekin

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA so were you Worcestershire born and bred? I just about get my old mum up to clent these days as a treat.

Middle school – Sargent, Scott, Ashcroft and Streatfield. I was house captain of Sargent. All famous people but I can’t remember which Sargent we were named after.

WIlson ? 😉

sprootlet
    Free Member

Raby
    Barnard
    Lambton
    and the odd one out, Manor

flowerpower
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Airedale
    Nidderdale
    Swaledale
    Wharfedale

King James’s Knaresborough? I was Airedale, 78 to 85
    Yep… Airedale here too… but 82 to 89 (my brother was 79 to 86)

We were both pretty universally known as ‘cookie’ 🙄

bob_summers

Bodies of water (saying lakes got you called out by some smarmy milk-monitor type): Rydal, Grasmere, Loweswater and Ullswater, although I’m not sure about the last two.

Anyway, what were ‘houses’ for?

Saccades
    Free Member

It was some local parks/houses Lyme, tatton, adlington & bramhall.

It’s now some Latin bollocks.

johndoh
    Free Member

Flower power – not ringing any bells – any more clues?

woody2000

Going back to page 1, it looks like BFITH went to the same school I did. Now to try and work who it is as I daresay we’ll be a similar age!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Devon related explorers, so Drake, Raleigh, Hawkins and I think Grenville.

School was quite into the whole house thing when I started there, it having been a former grammar merged with the pleb school on same site, but by the time I left I barely heard any mention of the houses and place had turned into a “Community College”.

Used to be a bit of a “sorting hat” kind of thing where you got put into houses though were asked on preference I recall and also the house of older siblings affected where you went.

slackalice
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    albatross
    falcon
    kestrel
    merlin

😯 Snap!

I really didn’t think there would be anyone on here that would say those four!

Thornden?

bearnecessities

Blake, Davys, Raleigh, Gilbert, Frobisher.

andytherocketeer

The houses in both my schools only really seemed to be used for sports day. Just a way to have a number of teams made up over all year groups (and siblings all in same group iirc).
    In middle school, 4 years, each with 5 form classes they could have grouped one class from each year to make team A/B/C etc. (except then one year had 5 form classes per year).
    Don’t recall houses in 6th form (which was still at the same school). But then 6th form had a different sports day, and competed against teachers (until they banned student-staff cricket etc. when someone got conked on the head by a cricket ball).

Think my middle school house colour was yellow. Or am I confusing that with being the Sixer in Yellow Six in cubs?

stevextc
    Free Member

Brun, Calder, Ribble … and for the life of me can’t remember the last .. probably Hodder ?

garyfisher
    Free Member

Tyler – green
    Newton – red
    Brunel – pink
    Faraday – yellow
    Mansion – light blue
    Shelley – dark blue

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Bannister, Corbett, Edwards, Hunt, Queens and Wilkinson.

School opened 1953 hence B, H & Q; C & E were previous deputy head and head I think and Wilkinson was invented the year I went as it was the biggest year intake ever.

I was in Wilkinson which was named after John “Iron-Mad” Wilkinson (1728 – 1808). He’d lived in Broseley where half the school came from.

pnik

Selwyn (pink and black)
    Woodward (brown and white)
    Meynall (green and silver)
    Shrewsbury (red and yellow possibly)
    Phillips (red and blue)
    Heywood (black and red)
    Lonsdale (or was that red and yellow)
    Lowe (purple and white)

I think they were founders or something

Edit: remembered the 8th one!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Windsor
    Tudor
    York
    Bailey
    Norman
    Saxon (was closed down though)
    Clarkson (girls)

TheDoctor
    Free Member

We had
    Airedale
    Nidderdale
    Swaledale
    Wharfedale

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Chad(red), Wilfred(yellow), Oswald(green), Cuthbert(blue)

I was Chad 🙂

flowerpower
    Free Member

TheDoctor – Member
    We had
    Airedale
    Nidderdale
    Swaledale
    Wharfedale

How many ex King James Knaresborough pupils are on here…

What year?

crazy-legs

Brading’s, Brown’s, Cribb’s, Dutton’s, Roper’s, Spurgeon’s, Tulley’s, Tyson’s. I guess our school didn’t influence JK Rowling much when she was choosing house names!

Named after the first Housemasters when the system was created. Each House was identified with a colour on the tie and on sports kit. It was mainly to allow inter-House sports, the idea being that each House would play every other during hockey, football, cricket matches but there was good pastoral care and other House activities via that system.

If you had a sibling at the school they would always be placed into the same House.

It was open in the first two years, then you got placed into a House at the start of third year (Year 13).

jamj1974

Secondary. More, Cranmer, Cromwell and one other I can’t remember. Strange names given that it was a secular school.

Primary. I went to six primary schoools – but the ones that stick were from Dickens – Pickwick, Nickleby, Weller, Copperfield.

ojom
    Free Member

@ambrose
    The Royal Hospital School in Holbrook nr Ipswich. 20 year leavers reunion next month. Doesn’t seem that long ago though.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Denson (Light blue)
    Hampden (Green)
    Lee (Yellow)
    Paterson (Purple)
    Philips (Red)
    Ridley (Blue) – The best 😉

TheDoctor
    Free Member

How many ex King James Knaresborough pupils are on here…

What year?

Left in 1993

thehustler
    Free Member

Junior tudor stuart hanover windsor
    high anson johnson wedgwood

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘School "Houses"’ is closed to new replies.