Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Scenic 1-2 hour rides near M74, M6 or M5
  • roverpig

I’m going to be driving down from Aberdeen to Cornwall and back over a few days next week for a family function. I thought I’d chuck the fatbike in the car and do a few rides to break up the boredom. So, I’m looking for ideas. Ideally:

Natural rather than trail centre, although the latter would be fine as long as the views are good too.

Near the motorways as I don’t want to add too much extra driving time

Around 1-2 hour loops as I wont have much “spare” time

Not “killer”. I don’t mind a bit of tech, but it needs to be stuff I could roll on the fatbike as putting myself in A&E would not go down well with the family 🙂

GPX files would be great !

ElShalimo

You could park at Sedbergh or Kirkby Lonsdale and try a few local trails.

There’s a really nice short loop from Barbon village out to Bullpot farm and down to Casterton and then follow your nose back to your car.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There was an article a few years back about a ride from Tebay services IIRC?.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Park at the boathouse at Strathclyde Park  right off the M74. Ride along the Clyde Walkway as far as the Garrion Bridge /  Mauldslie woodsand back or  round Chatelherault?

Trails are all marked on Strava / Trailforks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Come off the M6 at Lymm, lovely wee village, ride along the bridgwater canal for an hour and then back, lovely area, who knew such a place could exist so close to Warrington….

roverpig

Thanks folks. Some interesting suggestions there. I don’t mind following a map, but I guess you can’t just ride where you like down there, so I’d better brush up on the difference between a bridleway and a footpath on an OS map 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you’ve never done it before, jump off the M5 and ride up Cheddar Gorge and if you are feeling brave, Draycott Steep a few miles south. Roads not trails, but stunning climbs.

vmgscot

There is a good loop out of Tebay – right off the M6.

Documented on the Pedal North site as Breasthigh Road – ideal for the Fattie

legend
    Free Member

Drumlanrig would be the obvious trail centre option. Definitely a lot more natural than most, and will be dead mid-week. Good place to spend a couple of hours

roverpig

Thanks.

I did the Cheddar gorge many years ago when I was a roadie. I’ve also ridden Drumlanrig, but it’s one of my favourite trail centres, so could be worth  visit.

The Breasthigh Road loop just off the M6 could be perfect. A bit concerning that the author seems to have ended up in A&E, but I guess I’d just have to take it easy.

lowey

As Vgmscot…. Tebay loop.

Park Tebay, up Borrowdale to the top, turn right over Breasthigh Road, left at Bretherdale Head, Greenholme and back to Tebay.

The track up Borrowdale is stunning.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Rs6ykP]20170121_113850[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RoyU61]20170121_122955[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Let me know if you want a gpx.

vmgscot

Another option is the Durisdeer Loop (near Drumlanrig) – starts at the tiny village of Durisdeer.

Loop across wide open Grouse moors with stunning views (if clear). Ends on a 2km descent down the old Roman Road – nothing techy and, again, great on a fattie.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NDY0NjY=

legometeorology
    Free Member

That looks great lowey, and quite winterproof (at least the pictured bit)

A map would be very nice…

roverpig

Thanks. Both those options look ideal There is a gpx file of Breasthigh Road on the Pedal North site

http://pedalnorth.com/content/breasthigh-road

lowey

That should do you mate. Although I would avoid the BW over Belt howe at the start and go up Borrowdale for its full length.

If it were dry I’d recommend the BW over Belt Howe but at this time of year it would be a bit boggy.

Some good stuff on the other side of the M6 too around Orton, Crosby Ravensworth and Great Asby.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you look at a map there’s lots of bridleways around Smardale which is between Tebay and Kirkby Stephen – look just to the south of Crosby Garrett. It’s open ground on a limestone scar so good draining, would be ace on a fat bike. Park up at Newbiggin on Lune and head to Friar’s Bottom Farm then take the bridleways going clockwise, turning right at each opportunity.

whitestone
    Free Member

@ElShalimo mentions a route around Barbondale. It’s also on the Pedalnorth site but the last bit is all on road. If you scroll down the page I’ve linked to there’s a map. On the outward leg there’s a pale blue mountain symbol signifying the big climb, going north from that symbol, past a square wood, is a bridleway/lane that eventually joins up with a minor road coming from Barbon. This is a much better finish – it’s fairly flat so could be done in either direction but the descent from Bull Pot farm is great.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Lots on the Quantocks – out west from Taunton or Bridgwater – or Exmoor, a bit further west. Big Bang for your buck in the Qs in particular in terms of climbs and drops.

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 for Tebay area. Beautiful round there, the services are good too (probably got the standard 2h parking restriction though). Even just driving along the motorway there is lovely.

jam-bo

Quantocks is pretty easy. Park at lydeard Hill car park, maybe 15mins off j25, ride along the ridge track, down weacombe, back up onto the ridge and back along. Be done in 2 hrs tops and awesome views on a good day.

Or a loop up to great links tor just off the a30 at sourton.

stuc
    Free Member

If it’s a nice clear day maybe the Malvern Hills off Junction 7 of the M5

roverpig

Right, there are more options than I’ve got time to do now :). We often stop at Westmorland/Tebay when we head south so it would be fun to do some rides around there, but it’s also useful to have some options closer to my destination as well. Thanks.

phiiiiil

Cannock Chase isn’t far from J12/13 of the M6, and has both natural and man-made bits to go have a play on. I used to do it regularly on the way between Stockport and Somerset, until I moved here 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Scenic 1-2 hour rides near M74, M6 or M5’ is closed to new replies.