• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Rod.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Scandal / Formula rear wheel play
  • jonba
    Free Member

My Scandal has done a few rides now and I’ve noticed the rear wheel has a bit of play. It’s likely the bearings which is disappointing as I’ve only ridden it a dozen or so times. A quick google suggests these particular formula hubs aren’t the best. It’s not stopping me riding but it’s obviously not right.

I’ve checked everything else it can be. Has anybody else had this problem – before I start trying to figure out the hub? I guess the hub is similar in concept to other cartridge bearings so I can just bash the old ones out and press some new ones in. Weird fitting though, looks like I will need some larger cone spanners (my 17mm std ones didn’t fit) and a large (12mm) Allen key which I also don’t own.

supremebean
    Free Member

The NDS has a bearing preload which probably just needs adjusting. You will need 2x 19mm spanners, at least one needs to be thin to get on to the preload nut but a normal one will do the outer ss locking nut. Adjusts just like cup n cone but you may need the 12mm allen key to stop the whole axle turning when trying to tighten up the ss locknut as that will just unscrew the preload. 3 hands needed, although i managed it with 2 after a lot of swearing🤣.

They are a bit fidgety to get right but simple enough once you have done it a few times.

ETA: Forgot, yes there are cartridge bearings in the hub. Remove both NDS nuts from the axle and pull the freehub and axle out from the freehub side. The 17mm nut on the freehub side is just for removing freehub from the axle and is left hand thread, no need to remove this nut unless changing the freehub.

jonba
    Free Member

Probably worth me finding some larger cone spanners and Allen key then. Thanks.

Never seen preload on hubs. I suppose it exists in headsets and bottom brackets.

Rod

My Scandal frame had to go back as it had some play in the rear axle. Worth having a wiggle without the wheel in place just to check it’s not that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Scandal / Formula rear wheel play’ is closed to new replies.