Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Scandal 29er sizing for 5’10ists
  • trailmonkey

Any 5’10 riders have any advice on Scandal sizing ? We seem to be on the cusp of M & L. I’d normally go with the smaller framed option especially as I’ll be riding this almost exclusively on tight(ish), techy, forest trails rather than long XC rides. However the 16.5″ size just makes it sound a bit too small ?

Don’t know anyone with an example I can test ride so any advice greatly received.

WildHunter2009

I’m 5’11 and on a large. Wouldnt go any smaller to be honest. Whereabouts are you based?

trailmonkey

@WildHunter2009 South Devon

nickc

I’m 5’10” and ride a large, although I’m doing long distance XC stuff, for which it’s fine. If I was getting one to throw about in the woods, I think a Med would’ve been a better choice.

ElVino

I’m 5′ 10.5, I also went for a large, absolutely fine with 2 small caveat’s, fitted 35mm stem and best dropper I could manage was 150mm drop.

thisisnotaspoon

I’d say large, they’re long, but not LONG.

Frames are measured C-T so the standover isn’t bad. You’ll comfortably get a 125mm dropper post in. I’m 5ft11and a half, and have about 40mm of post showing under the collar.

plus-one

I’m 5’9 on a medium. Wouldn’t want large

jonba
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and ride a medium. It’s ok to ride down stuff but I would prefer it a little longer for more XC distance covering. I’ve got long legs and I would be at the maximum of a 400mm post but that’s less of an issue in the days of droppers – I’d check that out against your current frames as that would be limiting.

I was riding it with a 60mm stem but have upped that to 80mm to see if I can make it more XC. If I bought another I’d buy a large and stick a really short stem on it.

IF the image works you can see a lot of post (150mm dropper)! But I’m long legged, long arms and short body.

Del

My chameleon is a large if you want to cross compare and if you want a go of course no problem. I am 178cm. The reach is good I feel.

joebristol

437mm reach lightly be slightly on the shorter size if you are a normally proportioned 5’10 person.

I don’t have a scandal but my hardtail is a 445mm reach at 5’9 – I’m long of legs and short of arms / torso.

Lots of people at 5’10 would probably want the 460mm reach of the large. The seat tube on the large isn’t biblically long at 460mm so you should still fit in a sensible drop dropper unless you have really short legs.

To add – the seat tubes aren’t modern and really steep – they seem to be 74/74 degrees depending on size – so they’ll feel longer seated than new style geometry hardtail up around the 76/77 degree mark. I think the 74 degree angle works better for something pedalled around on long bike rides whereas the super steep SA’s probably work better on winch and plummet rides – especially where the climb is steep. On the flat you’re going to end up with your weight further forward and can be less comfortable.

trailmonkey

Thanks all for the advices.

@Del
    – Maybe a quick sit on your SC would be a good idea ? I should have taken you up on the offer on Sunday !! Cross comparison puts the reach of both Ls about the same but the wheelbase of the Scandal is a fair bit longer. I think that’s about the opposite of what I want for Haldon ?

Del

it looks to me that the chainstay length adjustment on the chameleon puts the difference in wheelbase in the noise?

edit: or did you mean the difference in wheelbase between the M and L?

thisisnotaspoon

It’s pretty nimble I wouldn’t worry about wheelbase, if anything it could be slacker still.

One option to make it more XC would be to stick with the medium and go with a slightly longer 70mm stem which would push the geometry more towards modern XC bikes.

Mat

I’m 5’11” on a Medium, I test rode a friends Large with a 35mm stem and decided it felt too big. Brant was suggesting the On One quoted sizing was off. Both that and my Edit are too small for me according to something I read in the magazine here though…

jonnyseven

I’m same height on a M, really wouldn’t want to be longer. Bike is big enough as it is, never been fully sold on the longer is better especially as my favorite riding is tight wooded singletrack. 16.5″ easily taken up by dropper post, plenty of room to move around, running 150mm as that’s what I had when building it up, would go for a longer one.
    Just my opinion though, some people like a larger frame.

Clink

I’m 5’10” and had a large, it was perfect, wouldn’t have wanted any smaller.

trailmonkey

@Del I was comparing wheelbases on the Scandal and SC. I did wonder about the SC length not including the chain stay adjuster.

Thanks for the continued advice everyone.

cloggy

I’m just about 5′ 8″. I have a 200mm dropper in my medium. The actual seat angle is very slack at that extension. I had to buy a fizak special railed saddle rammed forward as the front tended to lift up hill. The Big Dog and BFEMax mediums fit me better, with their normal seats rammed back….. to get exactly the same position. Any taller the bike wouldn’t have fitted my shape. I run a 40 stem on the Scandal. The steel bikes had/have a 35. It’s steep in Wales.

ianpv

5’10” on a M with a 120mm fork and 50mm stem. Feels fine. I’ve had/still have longer bikes – my FS has 485 reach, just sold a S4 kenevo SL. But am totally happy on the M scandal, I think they feel bigger than the measurements, and I like my HTs slightly shorter than FS bikes as I ride them differently, and slower.
    I’ve got stumpy legs and wouldn’t fit a 170mm dropper on the L.
    I didn’t have very high expectations for the scandal but it is a really decent bike. Horrid colour though.

ianpv

*have had a L SC chameleon 29er, and a L scout 290 too. Scandal is maybe a tiny bit smaller than those but not much

docrobster

I’m 5’11 and my hardtail is on paper between the m and l scandal with 450 reach 450 seat tube, but a higher stack than both at 645. (140 forks). I run a 50mm stem and it seems to fit me really well. Considering a shorter stem at some point. 180 dropper.
    So I think I’d be going for a medium scandal if I was a bit shorter for the ability to run a good long dropper and the style of riding.
    It’s important to remember hardtails get longer with sag and fs get shorter or stay the same so I’d not want the same reach in both types of bikes (my fs with 484 reach 35mm stem feels exactly the same to ride)

Del

I was comparing wheelbases on the Scandal and SC.

It’s ~5mm difference looking at the mx wheel geo for the SC. Makes sense as the HT angle is the same and the reach is 5mm different too. You’re welcome to take it and go for a proper ride if you want to. Stick your peggles on at my place and take it up the hill for an hour or two. 👍

trailmonkey

Thanks for that @Del , would it be available on Saturday or are you planning to ride it yourself?

Del

saturday is no problem matey. drop me a message with an ETA. 🙂

trailmonkey

Thanks all for the advisings. Decided after much searching thru the forum archives, listening to the wise words on here and sitting on similar bikes, to go M.
    Only sat on the thing so far but I think I’d have been a bit stretched on a L especially for the riding I intend to do on it.
    Off to test it properly today. Thanks again all

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.