Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scam phone call re: Internet security
  • bowglie

Has anyone else had what sounds like a scam phone call about internet security today?

We’ve just been called by someone from what sounded like an Indian call centre. They claimed to calling on behalf of BT and reckon our broadband connection and internet security had been compromised by ‘unathorised software’ that’d been downloaded.

My OH is an experienced IT software engineer, so she managed to find out what they were after – only wanted us to connect to their network! OH’s response was er…to the point:))

Just wanted to make people aware of these scammers just in case (we’ve reported it to our IP)

DT78
    Free Member

A crewe number by any chance? Just had a random indian caller asking me to confirm my name and address. Which I didn’t and hung up. Cant believe this stuff still goes on, and people still fall for it.

bowglie

Didn’t get their number, but IP have confirmed that its an Indian call centre doing the download malware scam.

Cougar

It’s been going for years. My mum had one last year from “Microsoft,” she doesn’t own a computer.

Drac

I tell them I don’t have a computer or that I’ll just switch it on, I then began a long and painful playing game with them pretending I’ve no idea what I’m doing, that I’m on dial up. They get some what pissed off when they suddenly realise what you’re doing.

leffeboy

Even the scammers get scammed by the people employing them :(.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jan/02/the-scammers-gaming-indias-overcrowded-job-market

I don’t think anyone under 40 gets taken in by this stuff any more though thankfully

bigyinn
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I tell them I don’t have a computer or that I’ll just switch it on, I then began a long and painful playing game with them pretending I’ve no idea what I’m doing, that I’m on dial up. They get some what pissed off when they suddenly realise what you’re doing.
    Yep done that too. Managed to have them on for 45 mins once before I got bored and pulled the “wrong” cable out and disconnected the call.

CountZero

I regularly get the Microsoft calls, and I just tell them to stop lying to me and hang up, but last year I got one purportedly from BT claiming my computer had a virus and was infecting other computers, and unless I did what they told me my broadband would be cut off.
    I was busy and hung up, but I got a garbled phone message from the same person the next day, and the bloke called the day after that, so I decided to string him along and opened up a screen on my computer.
    He told me to press the Windows key, and was clearly flummoxed by my telling him I had no such key, and his script wasn’t helping him much when I relented and said I used a Mac!
    He then told me to open up a browser page and type in a web address, which I did, then I said, “oh, that’s interesting, there’s a little yellow triangle popped up with an exclamation mark in it. I’ve just clicked on it, and it told me not to proceed because it’s an insecure web address!”
    The line suddenly went dead! How very strange… 😉

bruneep

I have a call guard phone, I don’t get such calls

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scam phone call re: Internet security’ is closed to new replies.