Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Scalextric (Pentlands)
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Scalextric Go-Pro chestcam video

I'd heard about the Scalextric trail in the Pentlands a few times but never actually ridden it as it doesn't really suit the routes I normally use. After seeing the coastkid video from the TBC ride on Wednesday I decided to give it a try this morning. Wow – quite a lot of fun for what is just really a quad bike track! Not sure if the speed comes over in the video though. I wimped out and used the brakes a fair bit, but when my Enduro has it's bearings replaced I'll ride the trail on it and see if I can manage it brake free!

coastkid
    Free Member

it is alot faster in real life than on the film!, rob says it can be ridden off the brakes!, think next wednesdays ride are all heading to ride it…see you there if going 😮

robgarrioch

Nice little vid steve – do you have to consciously keep your chest in one position to keep the view?

I think I've managed it brake-free once on my pitch; probably to do with its' longer wheelbase… Love the last grassy left hander, which you really have to crank into at warp speed.
    I usually ride up it, keeping a careful eye out for descenders 8)

whippersnapper
    Free Member

nice – looked fast enough to me. I recognised the bottom of it, I used to ride up the way many moons ago.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Nice little vid steve – do you have to consciously keep your chest in one position to keep the view?

Nope – you can just ignore the camera once it's running. I think I was keeping my weight well back, which is why you can see a fair bit of the bike, 'cause the Epic was a bit sketchy in places.

13thfloormonk

Worth hitting from the very top, this gives you one or two extra steep fast bits, still not managed to completely death grip it, a challenge for the summer i think!

martinh
    Free Member

can I suggest a shorter stem and wider bars?

mucker

Looked flippin' fast to me.

kennyp
    Free Member

If you go over the gate at the bottom there's a lovely, rooty descent through the trees. Turn right as you come out the trees and there's a nice bit of singletrack with a few wee tricky bits that brings you out eventually near the bottom of Puke Hill.

epicsteve
    Free Member

can I suggest a shorter stem and wider bars?

On an Epic?

If you go over the gate at the bottom there's a lovely, rooty descent through the trees

There is a steep bit pretty much straight ahead over the fence that looks like it'd be fun. I turned left to head towards Clubbiedean then back to Balerno and there is quite a steep and loose bit before the tarmac is reached.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I'm not long in from the pentlands, and as usual, finished with scalextric – its my all time fav descent and has to be done, no matter where in the pentlands i finish up 🙂

The trails are so dry just now, was quite hard to get grip climbing up the farm track from 9 mile burn – seems to be a lot of loose gravel around. Nice to see the puddle has finally dried up on harehill too. I'm glad I've healed in time to make the most of the dry trails, but where were all the other riders – only saw two at green cleugh!

*wants to go out and ride the route again now*

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm not long in from the pentlands, and as usual, finished with scalextric – its my all time fav descent and has to be done, no matter where in the pentlands i finish up

It's got me thinking about routes as it doesn't fit in quite so well with my current ones as they mostly start by climbing Maidens. It's such a good section I'm thinking that instead of dropping straight down to Glencorse I'll possibly head round the quad track then do Scalextric before climbing back to the top of Poet's and descending that to Glencorse.

I didn't see any other riders this morning, but I was out pretty early.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, what was that handlebar suggestion all about? I've ridden that descent, fast, with a 110mm stem and 585mm bars for the past few years and my arms still seem to be attached…

Don't believe everything MBR tells you! 😉

Liftman

Where does the scalextric trail start, been round the pentlands many times but dont recognise that trail.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The trail starts just below the trees on the north side of Bonaly reservoir. There is a quad bike track that runs from one of the gates on Puke Hill past the trees and round the side of harbour Hill to Maidens Cleugh. Coming from the puke hill side you'll come to a gate and instead of going through it towards Maidens Cleugh you turn downhill and joint Scalextric shortly after.

From Maidens Cleugh you follow the quad track round the north side of Harbour Hill (it joins the main track shortly after the highest point of the pass) until you come to the fence and gate after maybe a mile or so. Go through the gate and then turn downhill until you reach the trail.

stanfree
    Free Member

Despite having ridden the Pentlands for a while now last wednesday was the first time Ive done Scalextrix and was very Impressed. Also worringly Its taken me a couple of days to work out why Its called scalextrix. 😳

Good video Steve.

13thfloormonk

Racing your mates down it is brilliant fun, especially if its a night right and the sheep suddenly erupt from the heather, blocking your mate and allowing you a sneaky pass 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Nice to see so many enjoying this wee track. Can I ask one favour though? In March/April the farmer likes to have the pregnant ewes in that field. It would be appreciated he they could be left undisturbed at this time. thanks.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Missed out Scalextrix today and went straight down Puke hill. Was the first ride on my new anthem 🙂 and it was sketchy on all the loose stones to the gate!!!

Rode the rooty bit over to the bottom of Scalextrix and then down that steep towards Clubiedean. Thanks for clearing Poets, it was a clear fast run for me!!

Only saw four folk on bikes.

Regards

Phatman
    Free Member

@Liftman and @Epicsteve – IMO Scalextrix starts from the top of harbour hill. But havn't ridden it in a while, is there now a fence running down the hill from Bonaly Reservoir?

epicsteve
    Free Member

There is a fence now so it's easiest to just follow the quad track that runs parallel to the trees until the gate.

The quad track round harbour hill is decent enought anyway.

13thfloormonk

I'm with you Phatman, its worth the pain on the track up!

Phatman
    Free Member

Aye Ian and one of my favourite views in the range. Still trying to clean the climb from Maidens… I'm thinking a pair Ice Spikes might be the answer, could climb walls with those things!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've seen the climb from Maidens to the top of Harbour Hill cleaned, but not by me!

13thfloormonk

Don't bother Steve, once you've painfully limped up it once it just means your obliged to do it again, and again…

Thankfully I'm singlespud now so i can excuse myself 😉

IA

I hear tell* that climb up from Maidens is a middle ring effort for the keen.

*actually, I've seen it done. You need to be a bit of a beast basically.

Phatman
    Free Member

…so it's true! 'tis the stuff of legends!!!!

13thfloormonk

Well for comedy value I've tried it on the singlespeed. Not happening. 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

A couple of pics from this mornings visit to show where the trail is:

This is on the track that contours round Harbour Hill from Maidens Cleugh. The gate where Scalextric starts is just beside the trees in the top right hand corner of the shot.

This one is at the gate – there isn't really a defined path from here to Scalextric so you just ride downhill until its intersected.

This one is looking back over Maidens Cleugh from the same spot as the first picture was taken from:

This was the first outing for the Zion since I put 100mm forks back on it yesterday. Unfortunately I put way too much air in them so was only getting about 30mm of travel. As I didn't take the shock pump with me that made Scalextric interesting as it was like riding a rigid bike down it.

I did work out that the best way for me to work the trail into my normal routes was to include it on my commute…!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

that looks like right good fun! might come along on wednesday if i can get some forks on my kona 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

i like that chest mount view epicsteve showing the bars etc… 😮

kennyp – Member

If you go over the gate at the bottom there's a lovely, rooty descent through the trees. Turn right as you come out the trees and there's a nice bit of singletrack with a few wee tricky bits that brings you out eventually near the bottom of Puke Hill.
    is that the part we rode at the end of the film from wednesday?
    TBC Wednesday Night Ride Pt2
    good point about lambing season by druidh, should take care everywhere on any hillground at that time of year,

suresuresure
    Free Member

Rode Scalextric for the first time yesterday having always only spent my time up the Pentlands doing the 4 reserviour loop – wow, what a brilliant wee stretch of track. 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Scalextric (Pentlands)’ is closed to new replies.