Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Scaffold damaged chimney?
  • ant77
    Free Member

We had some building work done in the summer of last year. Involved a scaffold roof over one side of the house while part of our roof was off.

When the scaffold was put up, there was a large bit rested between our two chimney stacks (we’re terraced) and the roof of the scaffold was then on top of that. Was braced on the front by a scaffold tower, but I don’t think it took much weight.
    null

This winter we’ve noticed there’s damp in the room below one of the chimneys which has been traced back to a leak coming in around the chimney and running down the breast in the loft.

As far as I can tell, for at least 7 years that I’ve been there if not the 80 it’s been built, there have been no leaks.

Now, after the scaffold there are leaks most times it rains. Last weekend was a bit exceptional with the wind driving the rain directly at the chimney, but it’s been happening under normal conditions too.

So is it standard practise to mount a scaffold roof between chimneys?

Cheers!

globalti
    Free Member

There’s hardly any weight resting on those chimneys. Perhaps the scaffolding pole has cracked the flaunching. Can you get up on the roof to check?

sharkbait
    Free Member

As far as I can tell, for at least 7 years that I’ve been there if not the 80 it’s been built, there have been no leaks.

Just because something didn’t happen in the past does not mean it’s not going to happen in the future. The leak could simply be from the lead cracking – nothing lasts forever.

trail_rat
    Free Member

does your neighbours structural shed now leak also ?*

* i realise the poles going down behind the shed to the ground but it still amused me at first glance.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Which chimney is it leaking down? The one on the left has a very odd looking black mark where the lead should be. Which part of the roof was off?

coconut
    Free Member

The aluminium horizontal ladder beam sitting on the chimney brick work = no issue, it’s there as lateral support to stop frame twisting on an independent scaffold.

Most likely cause is the scaffolder snapping a roof tile when building it, or damage to the lead flashing around the chimney. Get a decent roofer to take a look, no point in persuing the scaffold company they will wash their hands of that.

p.s that’s half built right ? they should never have worked on it in that state.

ant77
    Free Member

Thanks for the input.
    I guess the first thing to do it get up there and take a look.

Tricky, as I don’t have ladders or a head for heights. Might have to suck it up and pay someone…

Cracked tile or flaunching is sounding the most likely.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Scaffold damaged chimney?’ is closed to new replies.