Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SC Hightower
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Anyone own the 2020 one? I’m thinking this is my next bike and id like to know some real world reviews before parting with cash. What spec have you got? Anything you particularly do or don’t like about the bike?

antares
    Free Member

Had mine about 6 months now. Upgraded from a V1. Can’t fault it at all and think it’s better in every way than the previous version especially when pointing downhill,feels very stable. Suspension is nice and plush. Heard a few people moan about it bottoming but can’t say I’ve had that problem. It’s a custom build so spec is my own, I’d never buy a full SC build as I think they’re poor value for money

tomhoward

I’m thinking this is my next bike and id like to know some real world reviews before parting with cash.

It’s fairly easy to get access to a demo of one, where are you based?

edward2000
    Free Member

Tom I’m in Stockport I guess my local demo center would be north west mtb center. Antares did you cost up a custom build vs a standard spec? I assume so? Not sure I’d pay full RRP though so I’d ask around for a discount like you would if you are buying a car or a house!

antares
    Free Member

I didn’t bother looking at full builds as I kept some stuff from my v1, main thing been the wheels. Got a deal on the new frame and fork as well.

edward2000
    Free Member

Where did you get the frame from?

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have the womens version which is identical apart from the colour. I don’t do full builds because there’s always something I dont agree with and I already had some components although tbh most are brand new since then!

Have since fitted eagle AXS gearing so only a tiny spec change

Disclaimer, I’m a huge SC fan and this is my fourth or fifth in a row but I did demo an orbea rallon, Ibis Ripmo and own a different brand hardtail and road bikes. I wanted a 29er which was hard trail/enduro aimed but not with ridiculous travel because being a light 75kg I don’t feel I need it. Although i do some enduro races I also only own one full suspension bike so it has to be capable of riding over the Long Mynd as well as hauling ass down Snowdon and the tweed valley so it has to be an all in one bike. I’m happy with my purchase and love the way the new design rides, I found the bronson very capable but it was never plush and always quite chattery in the trails and I found Whistler this year it had reached its capabilities in terms of handling the terrain. I was capable of more but IMO the bike wasn’t and after 10 years of riding and riding A LOT I feel my judgement is sound. I need more time on the bike to really give you pro’s and con’s because I built it up just before Christmas and the weather has been awful since so I’m on my hardtail more over the winter but impressions so far are very positive. I demo’d it in the tweed valley and was happy with how it handling the tight tech as well as the easier GT trail centre.

edward2000
    Free Member

Golfchick – amazing. I had a Rallon stolen recently which is why im in the market for a new bike and this seems to tick all the boxes for what im after. I really enjoyed the Rallon but I feel like ive been there and done it now so not sure id have another.

tomhoward

Tom I’m in Stockport I guess my local demo center would be north west mtb center

Yeah, looks like they are running a demo day in Marple at the end of May, if you can wait that long.

antares
    Free Member

Where did you get the frame from?

Got frame and fork from Biketart

gkeeffe

Biketreks have demo bikes and you can test it there on serious trails.

chakaping
    Free Member

18 Bikes have a demo one I think, plenty of testing terrain near Hope.

yoshimi

Off topic ish – but does anyone know if the ‘new’ ribbed Type 4 chainstay protector will fit on a Hightower LT?

antares
    Free Member
    StuE
    Free Member

Few on offer at stif cycles
    Bike Outlet

Painey
    Free Member

I like the look of the new one of these but partly helped by the crappy weather of late, I can’t help thinking that the new shock position is just going to get covered in mud and then be a pain to keep clean?

Is there nothing to worry about here?

GolfChick
    Free Member

So far it’s pretty easy. The cover at the back keeps it clean from that direction and the sides keep it clear that way too. Easy enough to wash off and can spray silicone lube on easy enough so no harder than a normal rear shock really. It’s hard to get your hands round it but that sort of stops the mud too.

simonbowns
    Free Member

We (18 Bikes) do have a Large Hightower demo – along with a 10 ride old ex-demo, that’s on eBay too.

Ribbed CS protector doesn’t fit the older bikes, sorry.

Painey – not really something to worry about, it’s all hidden away enough and a quick wash down clears everything. Lifetime bearing warranty anyhow!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SC Hightower’ is closed to new replies.