Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SC Chameleon – carbon or alu?
  • Clink

Looking at a new all-round hardtail. Chameleon currently first choice, also considering Signal ti and Shand Bahookie.

Has anyone ridden both the alu and carbon to compare? I’ve read what I can find online. Lots of views say the alu is actually relatively ‘compliant’ in the rear for alu. Alu is obviously heavier but a ton cheaper (allowing me to spend more on a nice fork).

Ta.

swanny853

I don’t think there’s that much in it on weight is there? When I looked at it I was pretty sure I could think of a better way to spend the extra money, as you’ve pointed out (or not spend it). The step up to one of those new 35mm Sid would probably get you a fair amount of the weight saving for less money.

The carbon version looks nicer if that helps?

Clink

I think carbon is about 500g lighter. It’s exactly those forks I was looking at! Alu and new 120mm 35mm SIDs, or cabin and something like a Reba…

twonks

I intended to build up an aluminium one as bike +1 to a FS some time ago. The frames were out of stock at the time and as I had some pennies spare I went with carbon instead.

Built up with a Fox34 @ 140mm it rides very well and doesn’t feel overly harsh. Ended up on 27.5+ tyres as a feel it is more planted and entertaining that way – but tyre size is very personal.

Never rode a metal Chameleon so can’t compare unfortunately.

swanny853

Hmm, I thought I’d seen ~1800-1900g quoted for the carbon frame and only a bit over 2kg for the al.

500g is better but even then the 35mm Sid saves what, 300g over something else with 35mm stanchions like a pike? I’d be looking at al and sids personally. I say that, I ended up deciding a Solaris was better for me but the cost/weight calculation was similar. The fact I can’t buy one makes me look at the chameleon again….

Clink

I say that, I ended up deciding a Solaris was better for me but the cost/weight calculation was similar. The fact I can’t buy one makes me look at the chameleon again….

Yeah, looked at Solaris but I think I want something more agile. Plus medium seat tube on Solaris mega-short (16.5″?). Ideally I’d want seat tube from large on reach of medium. Plus of course Chameleon is easy to run ss as well.

trumpton
    Free Member

Surely sids do not suit the bike. It’s a tough ht bike and I would have thought a burley fork would suit it for tough riding.

Clink

New 120mm SIDs are 35mm stanchions. So pretty strong but new damper and light. Whole point Mk7 Chameleon is that it can be built as burly trail bike or xc bike. Stock 29er comes with 120mm fork.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I had a 130mm rhythm on my Alu chameleon, I changed it to a fox36 140 elite and it’s been great, been running it 27.5×2.8 with a 2.4 29er on front, great bike over winter,
    I left my mates for dead when it got wet and boggy uphill in local woods.
    The quote was “that bike is like Moses parting Red Sea” ;0)

I never liked 27.5+ maybe it was the stock tyres, it’s great in 29er
    But have been loving the mullet

johnhe

It’s only one, unimportant opinion. But I think Sids on a Chameleon would look right daft.

Clink

It’s only one, unimportant opinion. But I think Sids on a Chameleon would look right daft.

Fair enough. But have you seen the new 120mm 35mm SIDs?

Clink

And come to think of it the stock 29er build comes with 120mm forks, most of which are 32 or 34mm.

mboy
    Free Member

I looked at the Chameleon, was put off a little by fit… Seems I’m still always inbetween Medium and Large on most bikes, the slack seat angle put me off a little too, as did the relatively tall BB and the crazy short chainstays (they’re just about OK maxed out). That said, I have 2 friends that have them (one carbon, one alloy) and really like them.

Consensus seems to be that the Carbon one really isn’t that much lighter, and at double the price for quite a bit less than a lb weight saving, it isn’t really worth it.

Clink

Consensus seems to be that the Carbon one really isn’t that much lighter, and at double the price for quite a bit less than a lb weight saving, it isn’t really worth it.

Cheers mboy, useful, and I think where I’m heading.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers mboy, useful, and I think where I’m heading.

FWIW, given the slightly steeper SA, slacker HA, tiny bit lower BB and similar weight, despite my brand snobbery I’d probably save another £500 right now in your situation and buy a Scandal myself…

Clink

Ah, but I want to be able to run ss (without a tensioner). Plus I think the £150 offer has finished!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SC Chameleon – carbon or alu?’ is closed to new replies.