Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • SC Bronson any views experience?
  • Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a SC Bronson carbon I have read the online reviews but what do the owners think? Never had a SC bike I hear their after sales is good?

Thanks

neallyman
    Free Member

Yes I’ve had my Bronson since July.

Starting from the start…
    It felt noticeably light and stiff, and I was surprised how much I felt the difference of the larger wheels. More than I expected I would. On flattish rooty terrain was where it felt best.

Although, after my initial ‘honeymoon’ period with the bike I felt something wasn’t quite right. Found it very difficult to lean over on flat/unsupported corners, and I’ve also felt like I sit too much on top of the bike (perched?), rather than sitting in it. Hear people talking about these having low BB’s but I don’t think that is the case, I think they are relatively high…

Anyways I could write loads but in summary I’ve made some changes and the bike is feeling better and I’m just starting to get to grips with it now. Don’t get me wrong, in certain situations it is an amazing bit of kit, but I don’t think it is quite the full package and has taken some fettling (which is ongoing).

jam-bo

I had a demo on one and was distinctly underwhelmed. The Kona process is miles better.

mmel
    Free Member

I had a good long demo of one and wasn’t overly blown away. It was not doubt fast but for me it felt a bit to clinical and lacked the playful feel I was looking for. I also demoed the SB66 which I preferred, but ended up getting a Banshee Spotfire which for me strikes the perfect balance and can be set up for 26inch or 650b

kimbers

If you must have carbon and you’ve got the cash and can wait Kona have a carbon process on the way (based on the fact that my process has an A after its name on the graphics) they often release an early/midseason bikes

TooTall
    Free Member

My mate Tom has a rather unique setup but he knows his bikes and likes his Bronson:

http://onearmedmountainbiker.blogspot.co.uk/

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yep i’ve got one, have you thought about demoing it to try it for yourself as what one person likes in a bike another doesnt…. Lot of shops have got them to demo now.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

neallyman- respect for a refreshingly honest review of something you’ve spent a considerable sum on, rare to see.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

That mudguard is an abomination, and not so much as a muckynutz on the front 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Quick GolfChick – to the BatBike!

JCL
    Free Member

If you need a heavy, stiff, trail bike with average angles and a high BB, ‘hard’ feeling suspension you might like it.

If you want a light, AM bike with supple suspension you might want something else.

neallyman
    Free Member

JCL you’re close…but not sure why you think it is heavy. It’s a very light frame/bike.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses. Kona looks too heavy looking for 11 12kg range. Keep them coming. Interesting what people say about the ride. It’s be said before that VVP isn’t so compliant especially on smaller bumps.

JCL
    Free Member

JCL you’re close…but not sure why you think it is heavy. It’s a very light frame/bike.

Yes for an AM bike it’s light but to me it feels like a trail bike and for that money there are lighter trail bikes.

sharkattack

Yes for an AM bike it’s light but to me it feels like a trail bike

There’s a difference between AM and Trail bikes?

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use glasses for my front, had a muckynutz on the front before and theres not enough clearance with 2.4 tyres and I dont like to hear scraping as I ride so took it off. Had two muckynutz on the rear as well… both got broken within oooo 10 minutes of riding with them. Ridden the mudhugger for few months now and its nice to ride through the wyre forest mud and not get the sensation of explosive diarrhoea as soon as you turn off the fireroad.

faz083
    Free Member

I’d get that moss sorted

SBrock
    Free Member

GolfChick
    Has Fozzybear got a Bronson too?

SBrock
    Free Member

Ive got a 650B Heckler frame on order – no more Larges until mid-Jan

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

If you want a light, AM bike with supple suspension you might want something else.

Such as? Not trying to be argumentative, genuine question as I’m after a new bike and the bronson is on the list, but interested in other options if I’m missing something obvious.

Sorry for thread drift

wrecker
    Free Member

The bronson c frame is the same weight as a stumpy carbon evo frame. Hardly heavy whatever genre you want to put it in.

enigmas
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden one myself but a mate has one and he didn’t get on with it to start with, thought it was harsh on repeated small hits and locked up easily. After a while he put a CCDBA on it and reckons that’s transformed the bike.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Is it a good idea (well realistic) for an AM bike, if set correctly, used for intended purpose, to be supple?

Isn’t the idea of an AM bike something that can be used as a trail bike and a DH bike?

Too supple and it becomes a chore trail riding and bottoms constantly on DH tracks.

An AM bike isn’t supposed to be a wollowy, floppy trail bike, is it?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Currently ride a 2010 Zesty 714 been a great bike. 2014 are light, 1×11, 650b, 150mm travel. Upgrade to new bike would be simple ride and geometry wise. Wanted to consider all options

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    Thanks for all the responses. Kona looks too heavy looking for 11 12kg range.

Since when has 11-12kg / 24 1/4 to 26 1/2lbs been heavy for a trail bike with biggish wheels ?

JCL
    Free Member

Such as? Not trying to be argumentative, genuine question as I’m after a new bike and the bronson is on the list, but interested in other options if I’m missing something obvious.

Sorry for thread drift

Probably a Troy if you want 650b but I’d have a carbon Enduro 29″ or BMC TF01. Or wait for the Nomad replacement.

JCL
    Free Member

The bronson c frame is the same weight as a stumpy carbon evo frame. Hardly heavy whatever genre you want to put it in.

God knows what is going on then. Had one in the LBS with very, very similar spec to my carbon E29″ and it was a pound heavier. Considering the Enduro would eat it we were wondering the point of it. The Solo is worse, hardly any difference in weight to the Bronson it seems.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Steveb77 I was talking about the Kona process @14.5kg. I am looking for bike in the 11-12kg range. Guess it was lost in translation

neallyman
    Free Member

Please stop with the talk about weight – these are just your perceptions! So hard to compare apples with apples in this regard. If the current SC 650b carbon bikes do have issues then weight is not one of them…you’re clouding the other more interesting matters 8)

takisawa2

Swinnertons at Cannock had one of these in last Summer, the day I hired out a Krampus. I couldn’t get over the price tag…
    Almost £7k…!!! 😯

Did look nice though.
    My mates just had one & really rates it.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Got my heart set on one of these to replace my 10 yr old 575.. No objective or subjective opinions on how it rides yet as I haven’t managed to see one let alone ride it.. but the heart wants what the heart wants.. 🙂

lungman

Hi had mine about 4 months, again first impressions superb then i began to find a few faults. On smooth flowy trails reallly good and supportive doesnt dive or g out easily but on the harder rooty or rocky trails felt very bouncy and unstable. some fettling later and and a new rear shock and now its an excellent bike. the fox rear is to fault for the poor suspension i think I put a CCDB air cs on and it makes a huge difference. Also chain length is a great factor if thats too short quickly stiffens up rear action. shame really as its a great bike but at that cost i’ll expect it to be brilliant out of the box. some of the problems were of my own making to be sure as i built it up but having to change the shock is poor

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

That Pivot looks good

wrecker
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch a fox CTD shock with a rented cock.
    LOTS of interesting bikes around at present; pivot, norco, kona, devinci, Scott etc etc.

JCL
    Free Member

Please stop with the talk about weight – these are just your perceptions! So hard to compare apples with apples in this regard. If the current SC 650b carbon bikes do have issues then weight is not one of them…you’re clouding the other more interesting matters

Agreed. Probably my fault.

Weight is not the deal breaker with the Bronson for me but feeling like it’s 120mm, weird/hard suspension feel (anyone got a leverage rate graph?), and the brake stiffening the suspension action would be though.

wrecker
    Free Member

the brake stiffening the suspension action would be though

This a new thing? My LTc certainly doesn’t do it.

neallyman
    Free Member

…and neither does the Bronson!

kimbers

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    Steveb77 I was talking about the Kona process @14.5kg. I am looking for bike in the 11-12kg range. Guess it was lost in translation

fair enough my 153 is 14.2kg- that is the lower spec but with hope brakes and 1×10 setup

but can you really build up a bronson to 11-12kg, unless you are throwing mega bucks at it?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just get a tallboyC and stop **** about

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Kimbers, it’s about the ride. A lighter bike is just faster. For example Zesty is 11.2kg stock. Bronson can be the same. I’m a short ass so 29 aren’t an option. It’s not about the weight entirely but the difference better 11 and 14kg is too much for my type of riding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘SC Bronson any views experience?’ is closed to new replies.