Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Saying good bye to your best mate
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

My dog in this case. I posted some months ago about him having a diagnosis of cancer, which was inoperable. He has defied all expectations and has been happy and lively until just a week or so ago. The tumour behind his eye is causing real discomfort and he isn’t his usual self. Vets booked in for next Friday. It is crap actually booking in a week in advance. just counting down the days. Tried taking him for a walk along his favourite stretch of river and he just turned back after 20 metres or so. When I got home I knew his time was nearly up and just blubbed while sat on his bed.

He has become such a massive part of my and the OHs lives, he is always happy, cheers you up if you’ve had a rubbish day, always good for a laugh being a silly clumsy boxer.

I am just rambling, but kind of good to write it down…I cannot talk to anyone as they won’t be able to understand me through the uncontrollable sobbing!

W
    Wa

Tom-B
    Free Member

My chap is only 2 and a half and it makes me feel sick even thinking about this ☹️

They really are just the best thing in the world for me. No idea what to say to help sorry.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

They really are the best!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Ah mate, their time with us is much too short.
    9 months since my Hope had to go and I still well up.
    Just got to remember all those good times.

househusband
    Free Member

I feel for you, deeply. Never thought I was a ‘dog person’ until some five years ago when we got our first, followed by another less than a year later.

I genuinely dread the day.

big_scot_nanny

It’s just **** brutal, loads of love

but also part of the whole cycle of life kinda thing

Was he happy? You betcha. Awesome

chipster

We took our Sadie for her last trip to the vets in 2004, still think about her when I get the last digestive out of the packet (she always got that one). That was the hardest decision we ever had. But the only one we could have made.

As above, remember the good times.

Kuco

A bit like chipster, every time I have a toffee I think of my old dog who was put down about 15 years ago, She absolutely loved toffee. Just remember all the fun you had together.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I feel your pain, man this is THE toughest gig there is.
    It’s been 18 months and there are still moments, my bestest mate in the world ever, used to go to work in my van with me.
    Try not to feel guilty, that’s a monster you don’t want to poke.
    I’m a hairy arsed bloke who has been known to brawl in the street, but I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

We’ve come back home from a week away and it feels so odd not having any guinea pigs chirping away in the lounge pen, sadly our last pig Pepsi died between breakfast and dinner on Weds.

Interactive pets are great at cheering us up.

eskay

I have done it 3 times and it has destroyed me every time.

The first we did at the vets and she was shaking as soon as we got into the waiting room, it was almost as if she knew what was happening.

The next two we had the vet come to the house. It was an absolute nightmare waiting for them to arrive but the girls were in their home for their final minutes.

I really feel for you. It is an absolutely dreadful thing to go through but it is always the right time. I just wish we could do it for humans, blame the bloody church for that.

nickc

Dogs…they love you with everything they have and then **** off before you’re ready to let them go.

Give him a big hug and then take his pain away. You know it’s the best thing to do.

earl_brutus

Went through exactly this at the end of may this year. Had him 15yrs from a pup. Faithful companion. Sooooo many happy memories. It’s tough. Still not over it and not sure I ever will be. But as they say it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

sandboy

I feel your pain. Big man hugs from this household.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I feel for you, I had to say goodbye to one of mine a couple of years ago on her 14th birthday which made it unbearable, but it was the best thing to do as seeing the suffering was even more so.
    My other (he’s called Kobe, guess why) is now showing his 11 years after never having to see the vet for anything other than routine checkups & having his teeth cleaned, he just doesn’t want to walk ATM which is so unlike him, I can’t bare the thought of losing him but I THINK he has had a great life & hope he is just getting old & will enjoy a quiet life for years to come but without the frequent long walks, we’ll see.

All the best.

GolfChick
    Free Member

It’s been 11 years since I lost my first dog who was a boxer and although it still hurts it’s okay…until I read this thread and then each reply had me on the edge of welling up. I feel for you, ziva is 10 in January and being a large breed she’s really slowing down now and has arthritis in her hips and I’m finding it hard to switch to short sedate walks as I feel like I’m mistreating her by not walking her for a decent length. Working from home until January is fab though as it means I have all this extra time with her. Sending big hugs and sympathy.

Jamze

Feel for you. He’s had the best time I’m sure.

My little 4yo spaniel had an anaphylactic reaction today out of the blue. Rushed her in and they worked on her all afternoon. Absolutely knocked me for six, I’m a complete wreck. She’s OK, back home asleep on her chair wondering what all the fuss is about.

stumpy01

When growing up, we had a Boxer.

They are amazing dogs. Sorry to hear about your dog’s illness.

Remember the good times!

granny_ring

Sorry to hear OP. it’s horrible when you lose a pet.
    Thoughts are with you.

Sandwich

Digby had a week at the end of February before we took him in. It was his best week evaah. We played, we bought expensive sausage rolls for snacks and his final day ball came on the walk one last time. (Heart failure for a year had walks with no ball or very little). Lunch was chip shop sausage and chips.

He wagged his tail until the end and I avoided crying until he was gone as he deserved to go without worrying about me. All the best and I hope you can keep it in until you get to the car.

Aus
    Free Member

Your post title is so true, dogs are your best mate, without fail. Remember all the good times you gave him, as much as what he have you. You’ll always miss him, but that’s the result of them being the best. Big hug

didnthurt

Not had a dog since I was a kid but still miss him. I cried when he died, he was a great dog and we used to go everywhere together.

Should get one now the kids are old enough to help look after one but my wife isn’t keen.

Remember the good times op, I’m sure there was plenty.

BigM
    Free Member

I remember driving our first dog to the vets for the final time he was 14, I was only 17 and hadn’t long passed my test but my mum was so upset she couldn’t drive. That was 33 years ago, still miss him, used to come everywhere with me when I was a kid.
    Just remember all the good time and the laughs you had. Feel your pain, don’t let him see you upset, be brave for him, big man hugs.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Thanks for all the lovely replies. Just shows how amazing dogs are and the bond between us.

He is still keeping us entertained. With his drugs he is drinking loads and is pretty much sedated at night. Though he needs a carry down stairs around 4am for a wee. This morning he had ambled off to wee… Then SPLOSH. he’d wandered right in to the pond. In my pj’s I ran out. I could smell him before I saw him. Suffice to say he didn’t get to sleep back on the bed.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I find it helps to remember that if you hadn’t come into his life then he might have had a totally different and maybe no so great existence. Because of you he’s felt loved. What greater gift can you give to an animal?
    So through the grief, take time to smile and feel proud of yourself for improving someone’s life immeasurably.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Thanks rollin. We know we have given him an amazing life. He was a rescue dog, been neglected, had all sorts of medical issues etc. It’s something that makes me really happy, giving him a second chance of a happy life and we’ve certainly given him that. Only had him 3 years, so just feels a little too short.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Saw the thread title yesterday and it’s taken me this long to open it and comment. Worst feeling in the world I reckon. We still choose to out ourselves through it though as it’s vastly outweighed by the good times and as more time passes, the clearer that balance becomes.

Think of all the sacrifice you’ve made for your best friend over the years, it’s just one last act of kindness. It will break you, but it’s the best thing for them.

Just wish someone could do it for me when my time comes.

onehundredthidiot

Terry went at Christmas. Still hurts. Lots of folk know how it feels.

dogs

(Wish I could post that ubertools dog cartoon)

Sandwich

rOcKeTdOg

That cartoon 😢

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup , hardest thing ever. I lost my 12 1/2 year old Chocky lab about 3 years ago. I knew it was the right thing to do as he was in severe pain . I’ve never cried so much in my life , I lost my brother the year after and it wasnt in the same league to be honest.
    We got a little pug a couple of years before Charlie died and it was the best thing ever. They bounced of each other and he actually prolonged the old boys life tbh. I cant imagine never not having a dog they give so much and even if you nip out for an hour the welcome you get is like you have been away for 6 months. Such beautiful animals.

Take care and as others have said just remember the good times and think what a great life you gave him.

big_scot_nanny

Jeez oh that cartoon is horrific, in a good way. Ooft, lots of onions being chopped in here!

dovebiker

We’ve done it three times now and have two dogs at the moment – whilst it is heartbreakingly sad at the time, the pleasure/unconditional love that dogs give you throughout their life is worth that short moment of suffering. Our basset hound is 13 1/2 which is very good for the breed – he’s starting to slow down, struggles to get out of bed and is a bit wobbly on the back legs, but on some days he can walk for over an hour – we’re just taking life one month at a time, we’re having a new house built and would so much love for him to get there. We’ll get another dog no doubt in time, but not to replace him as each one has their own unique character.

Sandwich

not to replace him as each one has their own unique character.

This. Last one was a cuddler, the one previous a killing machine who wanted to get at every animal on TV. Half the fun of rescues is working out how to make the new dog comfortable and know his/her place in the house.

We’re waiting on our next one, me patiently herself with increasing irritation at the time taken.

GolfChick
    Free Member

@sandwich you’re a swine for that cartoon strip, we were all holding it together until then

malv173
    Free Member

Hmmm, strangely, someone’s started chopping onions near me too.

Gutted for you. Hopefully our two greyhounds have a decent number of years left in them (one’s 9, the other’s 6), but I know I’m gonna be a big mess! We can only try to give them the best lives we can, and hope we can give them a peaceful goodbye.

Hope it all goes as well as it can for you.

theotherjonv

I find it helps to remember that if you hadn’t come into his life then he might have had a totally different and maybe no so great existence. Because of you he’s felt loved. What greater gift can you give to an animal?
    So through the grief, take time to smile and feel proud of yourself for improving someone’s life immeasurably.

This.

And also that cartoon, but there’s a bit that they missed. Which is that when the hurt has passed sufficiently, your best mate would love you to give another dog the chance he had.

Sandwich

I see it’s been removed, which is a shame. Hey-ho.

marksnook
    Free Member

This is the third time I’ve tried to read this thread and I’m welling up every time. I can’t even think about the day my lab goes.
    They are so so special and not with us long enough.
    My heart goes out to you

marksnook
    Free Member

Ps that cartoon absolutely broke me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Saying good bye to your best mate’ is closed to new replies.