Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • saw Slumdog Millionaire last night
  • Pook

good innit?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, very good. But THAT MANY Oscars? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Drac

It’s ok, photography is stunning well directed, good enough to deserve all those oscars? Bugger knows they seem to chuck them out for any old crap.

Pook

aye, thought it was good but not “amazing”. Great looking though.
    As was the girl.

Poindexter
    Free Member

It’s just the film industry’s way of saying “look guys, we’re not really Islamophobic”.

We’ve seen it umpteen times in the past: East is East, Bend it Like Beckham, all utter shite that was widely lauded by the critics and consequently viewed by a completely bemused public.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s just the film industry’s way of saying “look guys, we’re not really Islamophobic”.

When they are probably Hindus?

Poindexter
    Free Member

The yanks think Obamba is a muslim though. If it ain’t black, and it ain’t white, it’s a muslim as far as they’re concerned.

Drac

Is that all yanks or just the ones in your head?

anagallis_arvensis

east is east utter shit

Dont agree at all, its a good film, not great but far better than most of the shit you see. Similar to Slumdog really.

sq225917
    Free Member

All of them south of the Mason Dixon line and a few few north of it.

If it ain’t Christian it’s gotta be terrorist…

DezB
    Free Member

Warmed the cockles. Mrs.dezb loved the cheesy dancing at the end.
    Not as good as Trainspotting though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My indian mate saw slumdog, said it was a good film with a good portrayal of reality, even if it did have some strange fictions. I’ve not seen it yet, cant say it interests me.

mudshark
    Free Member

cant say it interests me.

Racist….

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The morning after it won all the Oscars I think I heard the words “Slumdog Millionaire” about 25 times in the space of 15 mins on the radio, which pretty much turned me off it.

trailmonkey

It’s just the film industry’s way of saying “look guys, we’re not really Islamophobic

I may be wrong here but as far as I remember, muslims aren’t portrayed very favourably in the film. Isn’t it rioting muslims that cause the brothers to be orphaned ?

Poindexter
    Free Member

Rioting freedom fighters trailmonkey… 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh dear. Has AdamG/Poindexter cocked it up again? Do yerself a favour mate; stay away from STW. S’obviously a bit much for you.

Personally, I thought East is East was a brilliant film, but then, it echoed my own upbringing, so I spose I’m a little biased.

Not seen Slumdog yet. Think I might reserve judgement about it, until I have.

brakes
    Free Member

Slumdog is a good film, but I don’t think it warranted the numerous Oscars it won. The cinematography is pretty special though.

The best thing about it is that you see life from a different cultural perspective, it’s not just another film about a westerner in a foreign land.
    The acting was a little flat; there were some powerful characters in there, but the actors didn’t really bring them to life. A bit too much cheese and not enough grit for me. It’s no classic.

GavinT
    Free Member

Isn’t it rioting muslims that cause the brothers to be orphaned ?

Other way round actually.

Poindexter
    Free Member

Other way round actually.

What? Rioting orphans cause brothers to become muslims?

Might be worth watching after all…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Its only an effing film with jumped up overpaid lovies getting over excited and feeling good about themselves because it tells a rags to riches story in a different way. ITs also about Indian boy and not Pakistan so why bring Muslims into it. I have seen films before that get loads of hype win loads of awards and end up being a load of crp. I may watch it if it comes out on TV in a couple of years,

emac65
    Free Member

It’s a half decent film but as above.How many oscars ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Racist….

lol

GavinT
    Free Member

Tsk – To clarify – The boy in it IS a muslim.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

East is East, Bend it Like Beckham

I enjoyed both, and Bend It also has a much needed Welsh quotient too :o)

DezB
    Free Member

Couldn’t you find a better picture than that, tails?

Poindexter
    Free Member

Tsk – To clarify – The boy in it IS a muslim.

Oh dear. Has Paddedbrainlessfreddibnahboy cocked it up again? Do yerself a favour mate; stay away from STW. S’obviously a bit much for you.

GavinT
    Free Member

LOL.

Have any of you seen the film – In the riot the rioters shout something like ‘Get them, they’re muslims’

Or does this help you – from wikipedia:

Dev Patel as Jamal Malik, the protagonist, a Muslim boy born and raised in the poverty of Mumbai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumdog

RudeBoy
    Free Member

AdamG/Poindexter:

Erm, I wasn’t the one suggesting it was “It’s just the film industry’s way of saying “look guys, we’re not really Islamophobic””…

You were.

And you mentioned ‘Bend it Like Beckham’. Where the main character is Sikh.

Close the door, on your way out, there’s a good chap.

GavinT
    Free Member

This is all very entertaining.

FWIW I thought it was an excellent film. Not perfect by any means but what do you expect, it’s meant to be entertainment and in that sense it was a total success.

Poindexter
    Free Member

Erm, I wasn’t the one suggesting it was “It’s just the film industry’s way of saying “look guys, we’re not really Islamophobic””…

You were.

I know. And what exactly is wrong with that assertion? Just because I mentioned Bend It Like Beckham? Despite making quite clear that I was making a tongue-in-cheek jibe at the US film industry’s ignorance when it comes to matters of race and religion?

You are a first class fool. 🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Erm, but isn’t it a British/Indian film, rather than a Hollywood production?

Sorry, Adam; I’m really not understanding the point you seem to be desperate to make.

You are a first class fool

Hardly.

I never travel First-Class…

Anyway’s up. Seems like an ok film, think I’ll have a watch of it, at some stage. I’m not one for believing the hype about films, and have seen stuff that’s supposedly ‘great’, and been quite disappointed. Titanic won 11 Oscars or something? I din’t think it was all that, tbh. And there have been some stunning films that haven’t won Oscars, so winning any doesn’t necessarily make any film ‘great’.

The proof of the pudding…

emac65
    Free Member

Who wants to be a mirrionaire ?

LOL,made me laugh everytime he said it 8)

Poindexter
    Free Member

Erm, but isn’t it a British/Indian film, rather than a Hollywood production?

As I said, first class fool. We’re not talking about the honours it received from the British or Indian film industry, are we. We’re talking about ‘Oscars’. They’re awarded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and they’re based in America.

Do you understand?

emac65
    Free Member

It’s just a half decent film that somehow managed to do well at the awards.It has a fair few funny moments,a couple of sad bits & a that’s about it.Why people have to get so heavy & deep about it is beyond me……

RudeBoy
    Free Member

AdamG; never knowingly underdug:

Would you like a spade to help with your digging?

Or would one of these be more suitable?

anagallis_arvensis

I think you two shold take your lovers tiff elsewhere!

trailmonkey

Have any of you seen the film – In the riot the rioters shout something like ‘Get them, they’re muslims’

Yes I have seen the film. Simple crossed wire on my part. Hardly matters. I doubt that the film has an agenda to purposefully critise any religion.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘saw Slumdog Millionaire last night’ is closed to new replies.