• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Saving water: bike related
  • jonk

Im getting conscious about saving water and wondered whether any of the hive might have any solutions. I have a large bike fleet and like to keep them clean so i know i used quite a bit of water washing them. Do any of you have any recommendations for harvesting water and pumping it out at the same pressure as a hose pipe?
    TIA

kayla1
    Free Member

“I have a large bike fleet and like to keep them clean”

Stop being a massive fanny- HTH!

jonk

Thanks for your advice. It’s people like you who spoil this forum when other are looking for genuine advice!

jam-bo

Don’t clean them so much. It’s not good for them.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I maybe wash mine @ once a month and it sees @ 100KM a week. Its never seen Muckoff or other cleaning products

Chain gets wiped clean with rag re oiled

scotroutes

Is the answer.

njee20
    Free Member

I maybe wash mine @ once a month and it sees @ 100KM a week. Its never seen Muckoff or other cleaning products

Washing infrequently can cause you to randomly put @ symbols into sentences when they have no meaning, be careful.

You shouldn’t need much water really. A few inches in a bucket, big sponge, detergent, then hose off.

phiiiiil

Have you anywhere suitable for a water butt? You can get pumps to use one with a hosepipe. I just use buckets; our two easily provide enough water for washing bikes (fairly frequently), watering plants (frequently in summer) and washing cars (blue moon).

scotroutes

Can we have a “how big is your butt” thread?

JoB
    Free Member

don’t use a hosepipe, use a bucket and a sponge, thirded

ferrals
    Free Member

Fourthed on the bucket to wash then hose rinse… unless it’s really thick mud

maccruiskeen

A bucket and the brush from a dustpan and brush

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I have two butts a load of pipes and a pump to arrange a grey water tap for bike cleaning and garden watering.

They are all still sat in the garage waiting for me to actually do something with them……. they’ve been there for nearly 3 years.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could use a garden sprayer, so you can pump it up to get a bit more pressure. Then fill that from a water butt.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Why do you want to save water? It’s not like it’s a finite resource, it keeps falling from the sky.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘It’s not like it’s a finite resource’

‘Water is a finite resource. Between 70 and 75 percent of the earth’s surface is covered with water, but only 1 percent of that is available for human use. While both world population and the demand for freshwater resources are increasing, supply remains constant.’

(Source: EPA)

*Edit – Shit. Have been squarely trolled haven’t I

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a device about to be reviewed by the mag called “clean by air” or something similar? It used air and a small amount of water. I think rone from this forum had one. Not seen the review or heard much more about them though.

CheesybeanZ

I’ll bite , how many bikes makes a “fleet ” ?

zippykona

Could you not collect your post ride shower / bath water?

theotherjonv

who gets themselves clean and then cleans a mucky bike?

Others before self, always.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Look up waterless car washing on detailingworld.. Transfer method to bikes

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m the only person on this forum who actually has a Fleet…

It doesn’t get washed much though.

JoeG
    Free Member

Stop riding them, and they won’t get dirty! 😉

kayak23

ghostlymachine – Member
    I have two butts

Are they big? I like them ones I have to be honest.

scotroutes

quite

Onzadog
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    who gets themselves clean and then cleans a mucky bike?
    Others before self, always.

I agree, I was always taught “weapons, feet, wash and eat”

twicewithchips
    Free Member
    ppapa
    Free Member

Since I keep it indoors, I wash it after every ride.

Ridding muddy natural trails gathers a lot of mud. So it’s pretty much as dirty as it can get. A fortnight ago I sunk my wheels nearly up to the bottom of the disc rotors – it’s pretty much impossible to ride.

I use up around 8 litres of water per bike wash. A quick Google revealed that on average the shower uses around 7.9l per minute. So take a shorter shower maybe? Saying that, I sometimes end up taking 2-3 showers a day…

JoeG
    Free Member

Saying that, I sometimes end up taking 2-3 showers a day…

What are you, some sort of princess? 😡

br
    Free Member

‘Water is a finite resource. Between 70 and 75 percent of the earth’s surface is covered with water, but only 1 percent of that is available for human use. While both world population and the demand for freshwater resources are increasing, supply remains constant.’

I live in Scotland, it seems that we have most of the worlds water…

ppapa
    Free Member

What are you, some sort of princess?

One in the morning (I feel crap if I don’t take a shower in the morning) and one after a gym session isn’t something too weird (imho). It doesn’t happen in Scotland often, but I might go for a shower if it’s really hot once I get back home.

I used to be away 6AM-10PM and I didn’t find it too weird. Work, uni and gym was a tough lifestyle.

… saying that, I haven’t had a shower for over a week in multiple occasions when I’m in the mountains. If jumping into a river doesn’t count as a shower. 🙂

rone

Cleanbyair is great, although the industrial version may be better for a fleet. Yes, they do use less water but then there is 3KW of power going through it.

Swings and roundabouts.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Saving water: bike related’ is closed to new replies.