Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Saved for it (cargo bike) and now it’s gone 😔
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Been saving for one one of these, and ive just had an email back from Felt, it’s been discontinued and not being replaced with anything similar 😫

Any recomendations of something to replace it on my shopping list ???

Its a Felt Bruhaul by the way

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Felt tote’m – https://electricbikereview.com/felt/totem/

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Check out the Tern folding one?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Check out the Tern GSD (*edit*) compact one?

(sorry for doublepost.  #glitchforum)

nealglover
    Free Member

Felt tote’m – https://electricbikereview.com/felt/totem

…. was my second choice. Also gone the same way and not available and not being replaced 😔

nealglover
    Free Member

Check out the Tern folding one?

Just been looking at te Tern GSD actually, not sure about the really small wheeled ones though ?

bri-72

You’ve got my interest, what would you use it for. Proper workhorse or new niche?!

martymac

****, i was expecting a brand new bike getting nicked, I’m quite relieved to see this😁😁

i’d be gutted too tbh, that felt looks awesome.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Also check out the Xtra cycle Edgerunner (if they still make it)

Wouldn’t be fast to write off small wheels, they were pretty much made for cargo/strength. First cargo bike I had was a 29er (Kona Ute).  Soon discovered it was a completely ridiculous choice.  High load, unstable, just totally nonsensical.  Was great offroad for a longtail but that wasn’t why I bought it.  Since used a 26er cargo/utility bike that I bagged for a song, and the smaller wheel is better, but still not perfect.  If I was going to buy new would be looking at something proper like an Edgerunner, GSD, Yuba Mundo, or better still (for serious lugging) an electric Bakfiets.  *edit for car replacement the GSD  would be high if not top on my list.  Bosch dual battery etc.  Also the Riese & Müller Packster for similar reasons.  I like the Xtracycle and Yuba approach with smaller wheel up back for strength, yet larger wheel upfront for pot-holes.  No small consideration on UK roads at least.

some stuff about small wheels: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/474185-small-wheels-myths-facts.html

nealglover
    Free Member

You’ve got my interest, what would you use it for. Proper workhorse or new niche?!

The idea was as a car replacement. Instead of daily Drive/Train/Walk-Walk/Train/Drive commute that takes an hour. Commute by bike (100 miles ish a week so not excessive)

And for general everyday use, shopping, getting around, shipping MiniGlover around, towing trailer for little camping trips etc

We could then have just the one car.

Del

FFS does paste still not work?

I would put a bullitt cargo bike top of the list of you can run to it. Get the weight as low as you can.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

https://www.urbanarrow.com/en/

Seen one of these around in Bristol and it looks pretty awesome as cargo / family runaround bikes go

Stuart
    Free Member

https://www.yubaeurope.com/bikes-add-ons/mundo/elmundo-v5-neo

My wife has got the bodaboda and really enjoys ferrying kids around on it .

burko73

I’ve been looking at offload elec assist cargo bikes for one of our forest centres. needs to be useful on gravel tracks and grass rides etc as well as checking mtb routes. needs to haul tools and poss litter pick stuff etc. useful to be able to put someone on the back of now and again safely.

love to be able to get a elec assist big fat dummy for example.

the small wheels on the tern put me off. the felt looks really useful.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Love these electric assist cargo bikes. Its a brilliant use for electric assist, really want to build one.

epicyclo

I was looking at cargo bikes too.

I thought the IKEA Sladda would be a good base. Cheap enough to regard it as a frame purchase, and get all the accessory racks and trailer. e-Bike it as well.

Have they discontinued it?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve seen one of these around Sheffield, Looks loads of fun.

I’m very strongly considering a city ebike but curious about those saying its a car replacement. My car is only worth about 800 so to spend at least twice that seems silly, are you all running pricey cars?

PJay
    Free Member

Could you buy a standard cargo bike and get it converted? There seems to be a fair bit on the internet about Salsa Big (& Fat) Dummies being converted.

I’ve no idea how it would work out cost-wise though.

http://blog.goodrotations.co/portfolio-item/surly-big-dummy-electric-sunshine/

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m very strongly considering a city ebike but curious about those saying its a car replacement. My car is only worth about 800 so to spend at least twice that seems silly

there are few things to consider.

If replacement really does mean replacement then first ask yourself:

1.  If you are replacing it with a bike because simply because you want a more cost-effective option?

and/or

2. If you are replacing it with a bike because the bike is more fun, practical and sustainable?

If 1 – then compare the purchase price of the bike against the sale price of the car and the cost of running said car over (say) a twenty four month period?  Factor everything in, VED, insurance, tyres, repairs, MOT fuel, oil, etc etc*

From this you can begin to calculate if or not the bike investment will pay for itself over time.

If you answered yes to both 1 and 2, then it’s just down to budget/choosing a bike?

* Of course the bike will need some parts replaced over time, so factor these in.  The battery will likely be the highest costing replacement.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The car replacement thing is tough. These bikes work best in large towns and cities but not many people have the option to store these big bikes but parking a car in the road is easy.

kelron
    Free Member

The car replacement thing is tough. These bikes work best in large towns and cities but not many people have the option to store these big bikes but parking a car in the road is easy.

The tern one looks great for that. I do question how practical it is to use these in British cities with our wonderful cycling infrastructure. Parking my car at the supermarket doesn’t feel like a big risk but I can easily imagine coming out to find a £4000 bike gone.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I can easily imagine coming out to find a £4000 bike gone.

Then it’s time to factor in a good insurance policy, serious lock, GPS tracker etc.  Mopeds, motorbikes and cars get stolen every day, but it doesnt seem to deter people from buying one?

DLTBW!

kelron
    Free Member

Yup, it’s just a lot easier to steal bicycles and to sell them on – though maybe a niche electric bike would be less appealing in the last respect.

mick_r

Epicyclo – The IKEA Sladdas have all just been recalled for full refund due to a few belt breakages.

http://road.cc/content/news/242791-ikea-makes-global-product-recall-its-award-winning-bike

Shame really as they looked very well thought out and good value.

z1ppy

Kona have a new E-Ute on the way, still a proto-type stage (shown at Sea-otter) but you’ve not talking about buying it ATM are you?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Good to see Kona having a better crack at it this time round.  Still unconvinced by the 27.5 wheel choice though, albeit a tad smaller than the old 29er version it still looks top-heavy for intended use.  Check out the height of that child seat compared to the Yuba:

simon_g

Ha, yes I saw that recall notice for the Sladda in store the other day. Shame, I was rather hankering for one.

Continental drive belt wasn’t it? Are they used much elsewhere? I think all the others I’ve seen are Gates.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yuba spicy curry looks like a good alternative. Cheers for that.

Just need to find a uk seller now.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ I’d give Rob a shout at  https://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/company/ he’s really helpful with all things cargo IME.

Lummox

I’ll just add that cargo bikes e or otherwise are brimming great, I wouldn’t have a clue how many miles in the car locally it’s saved. If you can carry it you can load it onto a cargo bike.

one of the best purchases I’ve ever made

dahedd
    Free Member
    sam_underhill

If it’s cargo you are moving and not people, don’t rule out a trailer. I have the large carry freedom trailer. It is stored on our driveway so it is really quick and easy to hitch. It normally has a big plastic folding box mounted so I can pretty much get everything in there. For other abnormal loads the box comes off and you have a flat bed to lash anything to. A second hitch on the mrs’ bike means we can both easily use it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Saved for it (cargo bike) and now it’s gone 😔’ is closed to new replies.