Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Satorical advice for prestigious job ;)
  • i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I’ve got an interview for a shelf-stacking job at a local supermarket ;). It’s only part-time but I’m desperate.

What would you suggest I wear? I also need to cycle there ‘cos it’s 5 miles away. Would turning up in cycling shoes and MTB shorts be ‘too casual’???

My instinct says that a shirt, formal trousers and smart shoes (work casual look) would be appropriate for this kind of job interview. Any opinion?

northshoreniall

Ask them if anywhere can change? Ride there in bike gear early enough to cool down and change.

martinhutch

Follow your instinct. Have you got any way of carrying a shirt which doesn’t leave it crumpled to hell?

MoreCashThanDash

Ask them if anywhere can change? Ride there in bike gear early enough to cool down and change.

Shows you are proactive and plan ahead.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Have you got any way of carrying a shirt which doesn’t leave it crumpled to hell?

No. That’s a big problem.

Possibly I could just walk there pushing my bike (2hrs), then change and cycle back.

tomhoward

My instinct says that a shirt, formal trousers and smart shoes (work casual look) would be appropriate for this kind of job interview

This. Go by Taxi if driving/getting a lift isn’t an option.

franksinatra

Cycle in through the supermarket doors, ride flat out to the clothes aisle, endo stop at the clothes you like, get changed in the customer changing room.
    Smash the interview, high five the boss.
    Go back to changing room, superman it back into cycle gear, wheelie out through the doors whilst singing I’m Too Sexy (Right Said Fred)

I thinking Danny Hart meets Trainspotting Spud style.

Can’t fail. Job jobbed.

martinhutch

There are lots of online tutorials for techniques for preventing shirts getting crumpled in backpacks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My instinct says that a shirt, formal trousers and smart shoes (work casual look) would be appropriate for this kind of job interview

Yep. Cycle slowly in the above, plan to arrive nice and early to give you time to relax ahead of the interview. No harm in being smart, and an early good impression might set the tone for future prospects too!

Most importantly, good luck!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was about to say, where is the CFH light beacon?

And he’s here, and overlooked the spelling!

I agree with his advice. My first ever job, it was a hoot (35 years ago). Bon chance!

Saccades
    Free Member

Taxi there, no buses?

If the weather is shit you’ll get there in a mess so avoid that happening completely.

Taxi back if you get the job, grumpy bollock walk if you don’t.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Nah that’s bullshit advice.

Enter the building sideways with a foot down skid. Pop a wheelie through the beers section and crab a tin of special brew maintain wheelie to the tobacco stand to complete the look. Hop onto one of the checkout conveyors and hold a trackstand as the checkout person conveys you along. Stick a barcode on your ankle so you get scanned before you front flip off the checkout.

God damnit I shouldn’t have got distracted on something else.

FB-ATB

I was about to say, where is the CFH light beacon?

Don’t think “those” shoes will cut it for an interview!

frankconway

Get something from Vulpine so you can cycle there and be interviewed without getting changed or go retro – nylon shirt and crimplene trousers so you can chuck them into backpack, quick shake and your back to the 60’s/70’s.
    If you opt for nylon and crimplene you’ll be a walking ball of static!

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Before this COVID malarkey I was cycling 5 miles to work each day, with a formal shirt folded in my rucksack. Depends on type of shirt I guess but I was suprised how tidy they looked. Possibly not the best idea if you don’t have time to do a practice run.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I dunno what to say about dressing, but I would like to wish you good luck.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve been forced to take a similar job, and asked for plenty of advice for a CV/Interview techniques on here. (Lots of excellent advice was offered)

My experience: There’s a shower in the changing room and a few folks ride in. If you can spell your own name and even grasp 1% of the Covid guidelines of wearing a mask, washing your hands and social distancing then you’ll be in the top handful of the successful applicants. I don’t shelf fill, but had to yesterday……literally the slowest/saddest 8 hours of my entire life. Absolutely loving my new food status as a ‘key worker’

FB-ATB

Even if cycling leisurely might want to take some wipes/ deodorant just in case.
    My niece went for & got a supermarket job while she was furloughed. She wore a suit she had bought last summer for all her post graduation job interviews. Good luck with yours.

funkmasterp

Too much conflicting advice so far. The only reasonable thing to do is attend naked. That way you don’t risk the chance of wearing the wrong clothes or arriving crumpled/disheveled. Obviously wear a mask though. No need to thank me now. You can wait until after the interview and use me as your one phone call 👍🏼

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Just pretend you are Dutch and wear normal clothes and cycle slowly, get there early, expect your bike to be stolen during the interview

(Only joking on the last one)

Good luck

jkomo

Cycle slowly! Maybe wear a T shirt under your shirt, take a bag to stick coat in so you don’t overheat after you arrive , have a walk around the supermarket before interview.
    Jeans and shirt should be fine.
    I imagine the job will depend on flexibility around shifts.
    Good luck!

alanl
    Free Member

Just ride in in your interview wear. It isnt a Managers job, they wont expect you to be in a suit. Wear some neutral/dark trousers, without rips on the knees, and if possible, a plain light coloured shirt, and shoes – dont go in with manky discoloured trainers.
    Riding a bike in that outfit for 5 miles will be no problem. I used to do it all the time in the 80’s and 90’s. There’s no need to race there, make it last 20 or 30 minutes, and you wont even break a sweat.(I go at that pace when my OH comes out on the bike, it’s frustratingly slow for me at times, and I’m not particularly fit).
    If there is a chance of rain, some light, thin overtrousers and a waterproof jacket will be fine.A backpack will help to keep the waterproofs in.
    We’ve suddenly gone to needing full bike clothing when out on a bike, it isnt needed, and was never used before 1990.

thols2

Murray

It’s winter, your clothes are going to get mucky cycling there.

Wear whatever you want on the bike, change of clothes in rucksack. Add a jumper and you don’t have to worry about the shirt looking creased. Change in the toilets when you get there.

midlifecrashes

If it’s five miles on the bike, that’s no reason to arrive hot and sweaty, or in plastic shorts. Normal clothes and take your time. Non trainer shoes, chinos or smartish trousers, polo or button up shirt under a jumper would be my go to for this. All clean and ironed of course and a squirt of Lynx Africa (or something else, please) just before you go in to be on the safe side.

A suit is a bit much for a shelf stacker, but certainly won’t be seen as a bad thing if that’s what you have. Both Timpsons and Johnsons cleaners will clean one for free if it’s for an interview.

andybrad

dont cycle in this wont do you any favours. Get a taxi and arrive early smart casual.

wait4me

What’s this “you won’t get sweaty business”? I start sweating just looking at my bike! Add in a bit of pre interview stress and it’d look like I’d been caught in a tropical storm 🤣

dethbeard
    Free Member

clean, smart trousers (not ripped or faded jeans)
    polo shirt and plain jumper
    plain black trainers or shoes

This is what I would consider acceptable for someone, if I was the interviewer (I am 40, work in an office)

Also, the word you are looking for is “Sartorial”

Best of luck for the interview

augustuswindsock

Agree with taxi comments, in my experience, if you’re unsure what to wear go smart, you wont get docked points for being overdressed (ie, suit, collar and tie that is, not dinner jacket obvs) but you might be on a sticky wicket if not smart enough. I know of a kid who went for a job at McDonald’s and went too casual and didn’t get it!

kayla1
    Free Member

I’d get a taxi and arrive in time and unflustered (maybe walk home after to calm down?) Also, don’t diss shelf stacking, one of the best jobs (ie decent pay, zero stress) jobs I had was when I worked part-time for Tesco BITD 😎

edhornby

roll the shirt up, no crumples, and a thin jumper over the top if you’re concerned

dannybgoode

I’m old school – for interviews suit shirt and tie only unless specifically instructed otherwise.

TiRed

Five miles – ride slowly (< 12 mph) in comfortable clothing with decent shoes not trainers. Looks smart, but I probably wouldn’t wear a tie or a jacket. Apologise for your smart but casual attire and explain that you cycled to avoid public transport. Who knows, the interviewer might ride bikes. Instant conversation starter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apologise for your smart but casual attire and explain that you cycled to avoid public transport.

This.

It shows initiative, shows attention to detail (avoiding covid risk, etc) and, if nothing else, shows a bit of personal detail/interest that can be a talking point.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Why not post up your location, I’m sure a local STW’er would give you a lift if you’re struggling for cash. I will if you’re near me. You don’t want to turn up to an interview sweating like rapist and covered in shit. Save that for when you’ve already got the joab.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Also op tell us what you do normally.

You never know someone might be looking for you. Not an experienced CAD user are you?

franksinatra

I’m a chunker but even I can cycle five miles with my kids, wearing ordinary clothes, and not arrive sweaty. I can’t believe this is even an issue.

thebibbles

It’s winter so a lightweight  jumper will be the perfect accompaniment to a crumpled shirt. Pack the shirt and the jumper in your bag, change into them when you get there. The jumper will hide the creased shirt as long as you’re not being interviewed in the bakery section and become a sweaty mess you should be fine.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Also op tell us what you do normally.

You never know someone might be looking for you. Not an experienced CAD user are you?

I worked for many years in oil and gas internationally but recently did an MSc in Building Surveying so I could become a surveyor. Obviously, the market is very bad right now.

I’m a very average AutoCAD user.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’d target all the Utility companies and their main contactors speculatively (apologies for teaching granny to suck eggs)

Also polish your shoes, 5 mins work, massive difference in first impression

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Satorical advice for prestigious job ;)’ is closed to new replies.