Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Sasha And Digweed Renaissance Mix
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

This has to be one of the best DJ mix albums ever. I remember being 17 and playing it all the time in the car (on cassette obviously). I revisit it every couple of months and still love it 20 years on.

Sasha And Digweed

Is there anything else that comes close?

rewski
    Free Member

Great mix, had it on cassette too, a mate of mine had his track on it aswell.

John Digweed Journeys by DJ was pretty special at the time.

bam74
    Free Member

This CD still lives in my car- love it. Their Northern Exposure stuff is good as well – a little more chilled though.

dlr

+1 remember when my house mate bought it at uni, such a classic, they were selling for £100 odd when I looked on ebay before. I have a load of Sasha and Digweed stuff, might listen to the Qat Collection later 🙂 saw them DJ a few years back which was great, something I had wanted to do for years and years

tonyd

Its one of my all time favorites, released in my first year at University (in London). Some great nights were had, I had to resit a lot of my first year exams!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Hmm listening to it now, does it ever get going – it sounds like it’s building up to something but I’m 33 minutes on and it’s just sort of plinking along. Maybe not for me as I used to listen to techno and the harder end of the goa/trance spectrum.

marko75
    Free Member

You Sir are a star! Reminds me of nights out whilst studying in Pompey. Cream and Renaissance Nights with the odd trip to Brighton and London.

TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Bimbler, you’ll be enjoying the 3 consecutive remixes of Leftfield – Song of Life. Keep listening, all three discs are amazing.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Still one of the greatest Albums of our time.
    Love it.
    I just wish they would re-elase the rest of them, as Vol 2 when it was just Diggers was a blinder.
    Vol3 with the Fathers of Sound was good, but 4? with Ian Ossia and Dave Seaman- sublime perfection…

muddyfool

First year of uni classic for me too. I’m at work so can’t listen properly but just had a quick skip through which was enough to raise my pulse by 20bpm or so – thanks OP 🙂

I have the follow up, part 2, plus the first Northern Exposure, on CD in a box at home somewhere. Not listened for years but might have to dig them out tonight…

innit_gareth
    Free Member

+1 on the Digweed Journey’s by DJ mix. Keep on Truckin!

Bimbler
    Free Member
    mrchrispy

keep on trucking in-freaking-deed

/hairs on the back of the neck moment

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yep, great album that I had (copied from a mate) on cassette for the car. Some seriously good mixing by Sasha at one point on the first CD that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I was 17 when Renaissance opened at Venue 44 in Mansfield and began attending not long after. Some brilliant (and messy) nights were had. Awesome period of time for clubbing and music. Reallly enjoyed the Renaissance event at the massive Que Club in Brum too. Never really got a feel for the place they moved to in Derby.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like pretty much all forms of electronic dance music from heavy DnB through breaks and progressive stuff but Goa trance is an abomination and should have been drowned at birth. Unless of course you are stood in a muddy field at 4am with a shed load of substances down your neck. Then, and only then, is it mildly acceptable.

Do you live in a van Bimbler? Maybe have a couple of dogs on string and a wardrobe full of purple tie dye clothing?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Do you live in a van Bimbler? Maybe have a couple of dogs on string and a wardrobe full of purple tie dye clothing?

A man can dream. I also like this stuff but I’m guessing that also scores quite low on the “acceptable” music scale.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are you 12?

Bimbler
    Free Member

45 😳

rewski
    Free Member

You know what this thread is missing:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1QUT0M9b2uI#at=93[/video]

tinybits
    Free Member

Just been having a hunt round to try and buy it. Can’t find the bugger anywhere. Damn shame.

Gunz
    Free Member

Whilst I grant you that it’s pretty special, it’s frankly blown into the weeds by Paul Oakenfold’s Goa Mix, featured on the Essential Mix, 1994 (the follow up, Perfecto Flouro, whilst not as good, still beats the Sasha/Digweed effort).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_Mix

Gunz
    Free Member

Are you 12?

It’s scary to think but the zenith of dance music (early – mid 90s, IMHO) was 20 years ago, so us middle-aged trance heads should be understood and cared for, not ridiculed.

mboy
    Free Member

Bit younger than some of you guys, but remember this being released when I was 19, and it stayed in my car for a very long time thereafter…

From then on in though I felt Digweed started to go really boring, and Sasha was much better on his own.

I got heavily into the Global Underground stuff after that, particularly this one by Nick Warren…

By about 2002 though had got a bit bored of the whole prog thing, and got much more into probably slightly more mainstream house…

DezB
    Free Member

Have something new. More techno than most of you probably like, but 3 hrs free, so thought I’d share it somewhere:

dlr

I have Expeditions 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I got heavily into the Global Underground stuff

I used to go raving with James Todd, before he started Global Underground. Nutcase of the highest order. Good times.

Quite a few of my mates worked for him, one of them now runs digweeds label.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The first cd from Global Underground’s Nick Warren Reykjavic mix is probably my favourite downtempo mix.

Nick Warren CD1

Although The k&D Sessions will fight it for first position.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

tinybits – Member
    Just been having a hunt round to try and buy it. Can’t find the bugger anywhere. Damn shame.

Here you go…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000005RMS/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

w1zard
    Free Member

@Mister P – The K&D Sessions – YESS! It would also fight Sasha GU San Francisco for me…

My ‘modern’ version of Sasha/Digweed/Warren would be Guy J currently – definitely one to watch:

marko75
    Free Member

I really like the hardcore stuff! I dont live in a van and am almost 40……. cant believe no ones put Scooter up!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Completely agree about Guy J.

Lost and Found is one of the best tunes I’ve heard lately..

teadrinker
    Free Member

Love the Northern Exposure mixes. They’re going for crazy money now on Amazon/Ebay.

All the Renaissance Mixes were amazing, just recently purchased Vol. 4 as I lost it. Dave Seamen is an amazing DJ, very underated. I remember watching him Dj in the tree at Bar M back in the day. Awesome times.

ianv
    Free Member

Sasha is a great dj but that Renaissance mix is dull and now sounds VERY dated. Sorry 😥

w1zard
    Free Member

Loving that Underset mix you posted a few weeks back, Mister P 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Glad you liked it. I keep going back to it and love it. Waiting for the new installment of Nick Warren’s Sound Garden to pop up on Mixcloud.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Did always enjoy that mix, still have a copy in the loft.

This quite literally stomps all over it though:

momo

Gunz – Member
    Whilst I grant you that it’s pretty special, it’s frankly blown into the weeds by Paul Oakenfold’s Goa Mix, featured on the Essential Mix, 1994 (the follow up, Perfecto Flouro, whilst not as good, still beats the Sasha/Digweed effort).

Good call, I remember being handed an old c90 with a grainy recording of this back in the day, wore that tape out listening to it so often! I’m off to YouTube in search of it now, might lock myself in a dark room and relive my youth 🙂

dannybgoode

Absolutely love the first Renaissance mix – the original, not the re-release without the M-People tracks.

That Jeff Mills at Liquid Rooms is pretty special too.

For me though, the mix CD of them all is Trade Vol 4 – CD 3 by Pete Wardman. Just the most beautifully crafted, well constructed set I’ve ever heard.

Also check out the early Journeys by DJ – Billy Nasty, Judge Jules (even if you detest the man its actually very good), Coldcut – 70 Minutes of Madness, Norman Jay and Gilles Peterson.

You’ve also got to listen to Fabric Live – John Peel – just incredible.

And then the Global Undergrounds – both Tony De Vit mixes and the early Sasha and the John Digweed.

Cheers

Danny B

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I loved some of the Danny Rampling stuff from the mid to late 90’s. Good times. One particular track from the Love Grove Dance Party CD’s used to get me every time.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4joooH5tg[/video]

oli31
    Free Member

Live at the Liquid rooms for me too every time, you were always guaranteed a good night if Mill’s was playing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Sasha And Digweed Renaissance Mix’ is closed to new replies.