Saris Bones bike racks……

Home Forum Bike Forum Saris Bones bike racks……

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Saris Bones bike racks……
  • Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Yep, a pain to set up initially but really solid. That said, they don’t compare to a proper tow bar rack.

mrben100

Cheers

Tow bar optioned would be the peferred, however, use will be so infrequent don’t want the cost of having a tow bar installed and the carrier itself.

mrben100

edit: comment was so good I said it twice apparently!

rocketman

Never got on with mine but that was because every car I tried it with had a plastic roof spoiler (hatchbacks)

The upper straps hook over the hatchback but the straps rested on the spoiler and it was impossible to tighten them without bending the spoiler

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Looked into them but not sure about fitting more modern full sustainable frames.

mrben100

…….hmmmm, the golf does have a spoiler of sorts, more of a bump really. Will make sure I check it suits the model.

rocketman

The angle of the hatchback and size of the spoiler will be important.

Sloping hatchback + pram handle spoiler = no chance
    Vertical-ish hatchback + little spoiler = maybe

All the weight is carried by the bumper but the upper/side hooks hold it steady

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Tow bar optioned would be the peferred, however, use will be so infrequent don’t want the cost of having a tow bar installed and the carrier itself.

Yep, that’s understandable. The big downside is you can’t get in the boot with the rack on (tow bar racks normally tilt to allow access) but that’s manageable if you have a hatchback and leave a seat down.

Vertical-ish hatchback + little spoiler = maybe

That’s what I have, and the Saris fitted ok. That said, it only just cleared the spoiler.

mrmoofo

Mine is great – works well, very solid , easy to use …
    And it is bright yellow ( it it was much cheaper when I bought it many years ago)
    The rubber feet are hard , so can mark paintwork, so use something underneath.
    Don’t overtighen the arm retaining screws

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

saris is great on my spoilerless mkI focus takes 2 bikes no problems

can be a bit awkward with full suss frames- but you can adjust the arms a bit,
    the most secure (non-tow bar) rack ive used

mrben100

thanks all……….looks like I’m barking up the right tree, for once.

rewski

I used one for about 10 years no probs, had to get an extender bar for my zesty though, acted as a dummy top tube. I now use a thule rook rack and just lost a bike off the roof, human error though.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Sadly for you I sold mine last month!

If by any chance you live near Bristol you can have my top tube extender if you need one.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Used on a golf – excellent and no complaints except the holding sections can mark your frame and the feet can mark your car if not clean.

Very easy and quick to fit. I have used mine for many years without problems.

mrben100

rewski – Member
    …………………… I now use a thule rook rack and just lost a bike off the roof, human error though.

😯

Right that’s it, the bike comes inside and the clothes and bags can be strapped to the outside!

mrben100

ransos – Member

Sadly for you I sold mine last month!

If by any chance you live near Bristol you can have my top tube extender if you need one.

Timing has never been my strong point unfortunately. And also the opposite end of the country eastwards.

mrben100

…….any real world experiences out there?

I usually just stick the bikes in the car, however, very occasionally we need to fill the car with useless crap like clothes etc for an extended stay somewhere.

Like the look of the Altea Linear but a bit spendy so the Saris 2 bike carrier looks ideal.

Cheers

kuman

I use mine on octavia hatch with no issues. Exactly same reason as OP, very infrequent use, so I didn’t want to spend fortune on fitting tow bar and carrier. I use it on occasional trips, when I can’t fit bikes inside the car. Both our bikes fit no problem, small 26er and large 29er.

As above, used on a BMW 3series hatchback and a 5dr Golf without issue. Feels pretty safe and is well made. In my opinion the 2 bike version (which I have) means they are very close together; in hindsight I wish I bought a three bike version and had a little more space between the two bikes that I usually carry.

hainman

I have the saris bones 3 and ive had 3 ht’s on it at 70mph from from william to Laggan and back with no problem,just tie the wheels so they dont sway,it doest take to kindly to FS though but the beam bar works a treat,as for cars,ive had it on the new Astra and newish Focus,both with spoilers but top straps tighten up fine,

mrben100

Seeing as it will only be fs bikes, i get the feeling this might not be ideal.

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Don’t own one but think the lass who presents the Saris Solo rack on youtube is very nice.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones bike racks……’ is closed to new replies.