Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • sardinia holidays……
  • sadexpunk

really enjoyed lucca in italy this year, looking at different regions in italy for next year and people keep saying how gorgeous sardinia is.

a quick google suggests 3 airports, flights from brum, manc and stansted would be doable for us, so a fair bit of choice.  im just after a bit of insider knowledge about which areas will have the sandiest beaches, which airport would be nearest those beaches, any resorts that are recommended, or not as the case may be.

itll be a big family holiday, hire cars and a villa that we be looking for.

thanks a lot

IdleJon

We went to Cagliari last November. We know a family over there who showed us around, invited us over for meals etc. We booked an apartment near the centre of the town, so not a beach holiday at all.

It it was nice enough but far from being my favourite holiday. Cagliari is small, the surrounding countryside is a bit bland, the beaches around there aren’t as scenic as the beaches around here. However, we had a brilliant day out at Barumini. (Go there if you’re into ancient history. Sardinian history is really interesting, especially pre-Roman, and the main museum in Cagliari is good. )

As to food – we had to laugh when our hosts made us a basic dried pasta and sauce type thing and then announced that they’d got a typical Sardinian dessert……..Viennetta!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, lovely place Sardinia.

Stay North for beaches and wide open space, east for rocky outcrops, west for relaxed and south for more beaches.

Porto Cervo for Yacht Racing.

colp

Have a look at my brother’s place an hour from Cagliari

http://www.villalorto.com

http://www.booking.com/Share-kkc92M

mrchrist

We went in Aug. Flew Manc to Olbia with 3 kids under 5.

Where we stayed wasnt the best, near port rontaldo.  Surrounding area was great though.

Palau is a brilliant relaxed beach town, if i went back i would stay there.

Visited Santa Teressa Gaullura, that was really cool, even had some inflatable climbimg/slide things in the sea.

Some nice, really nice beaches around port ceveo.

thatscold
    Free Member

Stayed in Villisimius in July- it’s about 1hours drive east of Cagliari airport. We rented a villa through Airb&b 2 minutes from the beach. Fantastic holiday- one of the best beaches I have ever been to. Couldn’t recommend it highly enough. We are family with 3 children under 10.

Before we went I thought it would be very expensive but it wasn’t too bad. I think if you go to the emerald coast in the north it will be a different story.

joelowden

Spent a week in Palau this summer , was fairly disappointed with it. The food was the most disappointing aspect, 40 different varieties of pizza and not a lot else. Was hoping for nice fish and interesting pasta dishes but it was not to be.

Nice beaches but poor scenery, every road seemed to have very high shrubs or trees at the side.

Will be returning to Kefalonia next year…

IdleJon

The food was the most disappointing aspect,

As I suggested above, the food is crap. Even in Cagliari, the capital, there was little to entice us to eat out. We had a day out at a themed medieval thing, somewhere out in the countryside. Archery, some kids activities and a medieval banquet. We still laugh about the bowls of dried chickpeas that we were handed as one course. A good day but not because of the food.

Your comment about the scenery feels similar to my thoughts. Sardinia was a massive grain ‘basket’, so if hundreds of miles of parched wheat fields are your thing it’s great. (That’s not to say that there aren’t some lovely places there but our Sardinian friends love Wales for a reason.  😁 )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘sardinia holidays……’ is closed to new replies.