Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • sarcastic comments from dog owners
  • xcretro
    Free Member

I often encounter dog owners whilst out on the bike, most of the time I will slow down and say thank you to those that actually bother to try and control their off the lead dog.

It rather pees me off when you hear a sarcastic comment whilst riding past some of them – the likes of “you could have slowed down” well actually I did slow down compared to how fast I was going!! or the best one iv’e heard is “There’s a speed limit on here you know” to which I shouted back “what is it then?” (this was on a path for cyclists and pedestrians)

Is it just me being grumpy or do others get these sarcastic comments also?

jam-bo

Do you shout ‘STRRRRRAAAAAAVVVVVAAAA!!!!!’ In their faces as you smash that segment on a shared use path? 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

I will slow down when you take your dog’s mess home with you and use it for toothpaste.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigh
    Free Member

Had one last year that had me seething, especially as i had and always do, slow down, made plenty of noise, ridden past with plenty of room. but despite all this the waspy old bi*** testily told me to get a damn bell…on a cyclepath. I felt like a child being scolded by an adult and almost went back, which wouldn’t of ended well as i always lose my cool and result to swearing. Im rubbish at arguing my point 🙁

xcretro
    Free Member

wouldn’t of ended well as i always lose my cool and result to swearing. Im rubbish at arguing my point

lol, me too, more fuel for their hatred fire!

xcretro
    Free Member

Do you shout ‘STRRRRRAAAAAAVVVVVAAAA!!!!!’ In their faces as you smash that segment on a shared use path?

no but thats a great idea 😈

lucien

Yes, get comments from walkers and/or dog owners – my best so far is when some says “do you know” type comment and i just go “yeah, silly isn’t it” or something similar, smile and ride on leaving them lost for words. Bloke the other day, red socks, couple of fat Labrador’s said “don’t you know you can’t ride here”, so smiled said “yes” and carried on – thought he was going to explode with rage!

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive made similar coments leading to the next guy behind me getting a ear full of seething mad walker 🙂

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Move over shit-lips
    Works quite well.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

“Oh don’t YOU start” usually
    works quite well (but must be delivered in a slightly psychotic manner).

tinybits
    Free Member

I quite enjoy saying ‘yes, I know I can’t ride here’ as I tootle past. Any more back chat and I’ll often stop and politely ask them how exactly they plan to prevent me. I’ll often then ask for directions to somewhere which most people, being too damn English for there own good can’t help but provide. It makes me laugh!.

This is going to backfire when I meet a complete nutcase who wraps my bike around my neck and throws me over the hedge!

chip
    Free Member

Steelfreak – Member
    “Oh don’t YOU start” usually
    works quite well (but must be delivered in a slightly psychotic manner).

Surely this would be better delivered in the voice and manner of Kenneth Williams.

busydog
    Free Member

I have gotten a few of the “they ought to ban mountain bikes from this trail”, to which I reply “possibly, but might work even better if they would ban cranky hikers”.
    As above, I recently got the “you need a bell on the bike so we know you are coming”, to which I replied, “Ma’am, going through this rocky trail, this thing is as loud as a threshing machine as it is, you probably couldn’t hear the bell”–she wasn’t amused in the slightest.

MrNice
    Free Member

I got “is it true all cyclists are illiterate?” from a dog walker. I’m not sure where she thought the conversation was going to go after that. I reassured her that I could read the sign but had chosen to ignore it and she looked ready to pop. She was absolutely convinced all the mud in the field was the fault of bikes – nothing to do with hundreds of walkers or the stream running down the middle, all the fault of a handful of footpath poaching mtbers. 🙄

user-removed
    Free Member

the waspy old bi*** testily told me to get a damn bell

I’m only 40, my hearing is perfect and I frequently jump out my skin when passed even by slow moving bikes – often happens when it’s windy. I’m quite sure it’s twice as bad for deaf septagenarians. Just buy a chuffin’ £2 bell and give a gentle, polite ping. You’ll still get the odd hard-bitten twunt but on the whole, it’s a good plan.

GJP
    Free Member

“Why use a bell? I am not mute and can convey my intentions on whether I plan to pass you on the left or the right far more clearly with my own voice” 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gaw, people they’re all like waah wah wah and I’M ALL LIKE YACKIDY SCHMAKIDY WHATEVER GIRLFRIEND and they’re all like durrrrr and I’mm all like WYMWIM and they’re all like talk to the hand and i’m all like OMG ROFL your dog looks like a shaved cat and they’re all like wheels? reaaaaaallly and I’m all like you and your friend have got six legs and that’s like three each……

davosaurusrex

^^^Chortle! Whole of STW (and every other forum, ever)summed up in one genius paragraph!

steviecapt
    Free Member

i will listen if their dog is on a lead, if their so called under control dog is running off the lead all over the cycle path, then they can just F–K OFF. i praised a dog walker yesterday, as i went pass, the couple quickly called their dog by their side while i cycled past, i stopped and congratulated them, and we had a chat about the other selfish and irresponsible dog owners,who never let their dogs off the lead on the many fields, but always insist on walking in the middle of the cycle path with their dogs running all over the place, maybe these selfish owners are afraid of getting their feet wet on the grass, and before all the dog owners out there start shooting their mouths off, yes i am a dog owner and lover, i would hate to hurt any dog in an accident, i dont blame the dogs its the crap owners, ive got more respect for my dog to let her run all over a cycle path, i have heard of one lady who had her dog hit by a cyclist, and then had to fork out nearly a £1000 in vets bills, she rang the police, they said basically it was her fault, for not having the dog under control on a cycle path, but getting this message through to the i dont give a shit brigaid is never going to happen , until their dog is involved in a similar accident, trouble is its always the dog that suffers for the actions of their owners. my rant over.

ryan91
    Free Member

Just approch shouting random obsceneties and making it look as though you are causing yourself intense pain to go as fast as you’re going, after all who’d dare chunter to a pumped up psycopathic self torturing cyclist ?

The theory of BIG springs to mind…..

breadcrumb

Seeing as it’s normally walkers of an older generation that complain do you think the complaining will die out soon?

poah
    Free Member

the only dog walkers I meet are the ones walking down the wrong way of cycle only tracks and I don’t talk to morons

LoCo
    Free Member

once had to bunnyhop a jack russell on the last descent at Cwmcarn, and managed to avoid the oweners who were both walking up the trail. 😯

jordie
    Free Member

I gained a puppy once, passed a couple but I do ride with a Ipod and dont really pay attention to comments. Passed them and their little doggy rode on for a while looked round and the little fella was following me. I picked him up and cycled back to the owners. I now see them often while out on the same path and give them a wave or stop for a chat.

coastkid
    Free Member

Dog walkers around here are mostly all fine in general, ping ping on the bell and a hello and usually youget an apologie. Some of them ride bikes along with their dogs too 😉

There are miserable people in all walks of like, check out a lot of road cyclists for instance 😆 :mrgreen:

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

A few rounds from a kids plastic machine gun will shut them up and then maybe make them see the funny side.

langylad
    Free Member

I have been out on the fells around clitheroe on my mtb with my black lab running somewhere nearby and managed to piss a fell runner off because dog ran up and said hello. 😀
    If some miserable git has a pre disposed prejudice to something they will find a reason to grump, as most of the above posters have

coastkid
    Free Member

🙂 well said

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i’ve got a bell and mostly on cycle paths where whole groups/families spread across the whole thing walking they mostly ignore it anyway. They can be good though in other situations.

jekkyl

Gaw, people they’re all like waah wah wah and I’M ALL LIKE YACKIDY SCHMAKIDY WHATEVER GIRLFRIEND and they’re all like durrrrr and I’mm all like WYMWIM and they’re all like talk to the hand and i’m all like OMG ROFL your dog looks like a shaved cat and they’re all like wheels? reaaaaaallly and I’m all like you and your friend have got six legs and that’s like three each……

Post of the year.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve decided to reply in the same manner as my three year old. His current thing is.

“Hey! Guess what?”

I say “what?”

He says “WAAAAAAAA” and blows a raspberry.

xcretro
    Free Member

That is so good I think I may even get it tattooed on me somewhere :mrgreen:

Kato

the only cyclists I meet whilst walking my dogs are the ones cycling down a footpath and I don’t talk to morons

grum
    Free Member

I have been out on the fells around clitheroe on my mtb with my black lab running somewhere nearby and managed to piss a fell runner off because dog ran up and said hello.

When you say ‘said hello’, do you mean jumped up at his legs and started yapping incessantly at him? Because this happens fairly frequently to me and I’m really not into it. Some dog owners apologise but some seem to think it’s perfectly fine.

mogrim

I have been out on the fells around clitheroe on my mtb with my black lab running somewhere nearby and managed to piss a fell runner off because dog ran up and said hello.

Despite being a dog lover I hate it when dogs run up to me while I’m out running or riding, you never know what they’re going to do – Bite? Bark? Play? Chase you?

Del

that time of the week already? we only just got rid of the last one. 🙄

aracer to the thread please, aracer to the thread, thank you.
    yawn.

rocketman
    Free Member

Very rarely have a problem with dogs around the Chase. Considering how many people visit the vast majority are polite and considerate.

Often helps to look at things from the walker’s point of view. Someone wearing a clown outfit and riding a bicycle that’s been coated in superglue and ridden through Chain Reaction suddenly appears on the *footpath* where you’ve been walking your family pet every day

Just saying like

NormalMan

Most I’ve encountered are fine – although using a bit of tow path the other day there was a lady walking her dog on one of those extending leads and it blocked the whole path. I was in no hurry so just sat back and freewheeled along.

Eventually the path opened up and I could pass.

She muttered I should have a bell, so I couldn’t help but freewheel a little more and point out that if she could hear that (Hope hub) a bell had no chance!!

Someone wearing a clown outfit and riding a bicycle that’s been coated in superglue and ridden through Chain Reaction

😆

She muttered I should have a bell,

You’d be surprised at how many people mutter this even when you’ve been ringing it right behind them.

mjsmke

Not had anything sarcastic comments from dog owners round here. Most move over when I slow down to pass so I’m grateful for their consideration. There are always one or two who don’t show any consideration for others but I encounter more people like that on the roads while I’m driving to work than on the bike. While driving to work theres a 20mph limit for about 100 meters before width restrictions in a short 30mph zone. So many cars tailgate me in my small car in the 20 zone. I just laugh when they are still tailgating me at 30mph and didnt see the width restrictions that I don’t slow down for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘sarcastic comments from dog owners’ is closed to new replies.