Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Saracen Ariel 16X
  • rj
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these? My lbs suggested it as a cheaper alternative to an Alpine 160, but I don’t know anyone with one and I’m struggling to find any reviews.

Pridds

Only just come out so not alot of info out there. I am interested too but need to find one to demo and that is proving difficult. No reply through Facebook page or email.

chakaping
    Free Member

The geometry looks great and the suspension system rides really nice (I’ve ridden a 2011 Ariel a lot), so I was considering one myself.

But the contact function on the Saracen site didn’t work, there was no phone number listed and when I emailed Madison I got no reply.

So I went with a different bike.

Did you see the cheap Mega frames? Very similar geo to the Alpine apparently.

EDIT: To say it’s not just me they’re ignoring then! Smart way to sell bikes eh?

rj
    Free Member

Know someone who’s ridden one, said it was kind of like a Commencal without the flexy rear end, but I’d be interested in other opinions.

allthepies
    Free Member

oops…

matt007
    Free Member

I ordered one as my bro works for a shop and got a killer deal on it, its arrived at the shop so I should get my hands on it tomorrow. Took a real gamble having never ridden one, but for the price I paid….

Won’t have it built up for a week or so due to being away, but I’ll post a review once Ive been out on it.

rj
    Free Member

Cheers matt, look forward to hearing what you think. Out of interest, what are you riding just now?

stevede
    Free Member

If your looking for a cheaper alternative to the Alpine 160 i’d say the Nukeproof Mega should definately be on your list (reduced in yellow and silver) http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/nukeproof-mega-am-frame-2012/10780

noidea
    Free Member

Got to agree about the mega,i owned an 09 Alpine 160 before it and much prefer the mega.It climbs much better and descends just as well as the alpine.

Twelve50 bikes have them for £638 for the black and silver and £598 for the yellow,my wife has just bought one to replace her Remedy.

rj
    Free Member

I looked long and hard at the Mega, but was put off by the short top tube on the small and long reach on the medium. I’ve demoed an Alpine and It’s the most fun bike I’ve ridden, but I can’t afford a new frame and the s/h ones tend to come up just as my Passat needs another grand spending on it, I.e. every couple of months. Covert is an option, as is the new, slacker El Guapo.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

rj

Know someone who’s ridden one, said it was kind of like a Commencal without the flexy rear end, but I’d be interested in other opinions.

That’s funny considering the back end is about as stiff as a bag of custard. Just grab the wheel and torque, you can see the entire rear triangle flex in a very distressing fashion. No wonder they break.

nasher
    Free Member

saracen had a huge problem with production, they were suposed to be delivered in February…and are now only arriving.

Shame really as we wanted their bikes but in the end we went with nukeproof and to be honest they are very sinilar bikes.

Stevelol
    Free Member

If you can really get a new Mega for £598 then that’s an absolute steal!

rj
    Free Member

Looked at those Megas, but they only have mediums and larges which, as far as I can make out would be too big for me at 5′ 7.

noidea
    Free Member

rj,my wife bought a small mega from twelve50 bikes.If they are not showing in stock give them a ring and they will order you one.Ordered Tues and delivered on Fri which included them fitting a headset,cant go wrong with that service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Saracen Ariel 16X’ is closed to new replies.