Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Santa
  • stufive
    Free Member

So our little girl is four now and i dont like pretending santa is coming to bring gifts and all that bull, so how young is too young to explain snata is a load of rubbish??

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

You are kidding right?

Please tell me you are?

stufive
    Free Member

Not really shes very switched on and i feel like were trying to convice her for the sake of it some times

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

Show her the car he drives when he’s not on duty?

let them come to their own conclusion.

We always just said ‘Some people believe he’s true, some don’t’. Seemed to work for our kids, they reached their own conclusion without too much trauma.

We’ve taken the same approach to God tbh.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Mine are 6, 4 and 2.
    It’s going to be a sad day when any of them stop believing.
    I love their innocence and excitement with the whole thing.

I just hope no one ruins it for them.

djglover
    Free Member

soma_rich
    Free Member

My sons 9, we know he knows, he knows we know he knows.

We all still pretend to believe though. much more fun 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

when you santa is a load of old rubbish you’re suggesting he’s not bringing the quality of presents as he did when you were a younger man yeah?

well that’s kinda harsh, his elves can’t make iPads and stuff can they, apple wont let them i’ve been told.

if you’re suggesting he’s not real then i suggest you get yourself down the doctors for a check-up or call your local community mental health team and demand an assessment as you’re clearly wrong.

theotherjonv

all the time that some kid, somewhere, belives that he exists, then that is enough reason for me.

Christmas is for kids, don’t ruin it for them.

Cougar

I was thinking only a couple of hours ago about the tooth fairy, and whether it was healthy for parents, a child’s most trusted of people, to be systematically lying to their kids.

Not sure as I know the answer, TBH. From a kid’s perspective, hey, free money, I suppose. Does a belief in something ‘magical’ justify those lies? I think as a kid I wouldn’t have given a stuff one way or the other so long as I got my Big Trak.

wwaswas

Does a belief in something ‘magical’ justify those lies?

Any vicars on the forum?

vinnyeh

Does a belief in something ‘magical’ justify those lies?

Is it always necessary, or right, to tell the truth?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You need to watch Miracle on 34th Street . I believe!

johndoh
    Free Member

to be systematically lying to their kids

Hardly that – it is harmless fun, no lasting effects of ‘lying’ about santa/tooth fairy etc. And ‘lying’ about them is completely different to anything to do with religion.

wwaswas

And ‘lying’ about them is completely different to anything to do with religion.

how?

Cougar

no lasting effects of ‘lying’ about santa/tooth fairy etc.

Undermines trust, no? (I’m not a parent, so I’ve no idea)

how?

They grow out of believing in Santa, and I don’t think anyone’s ever been killed for not believing in the tooth fairy?

highclimber
    Free Member

I was teaching a class of yr 7’s about aliens and asked them to find evidence for or against them existing.

The results were startling as they came out overwhelmingly in favour of them existing. Some of them even suggested that they didn’t need to look on the internet because they know they exist!

you can’t beat that logic!

good luck whatever you decide – she probably won’t believe you….for now

wwaswas

I believe aliens exist and I reached that conclusion without the internet.

It’s the monster under the bed that I’m agnostic about.

bigG
    Free Member

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Every single one of us at some point in our lives believed in Father Christmas (don’t know who this Santa fellow is) and it’s fair to say that we are all finely rounded, balanced individuals so it’s done no harm…… 😯

highclimber
    Free Member

I believe that if it was such a bad thing to lie to our children about a fat man in a red costume with a drinking problem and a penchant for the vertically challenged, then why do we continue to perpetuate said lie?

druidh
    Free Member

Tell her that if she stops believing she’ll be getting a bitey dog and. Big Mac for Christmas.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Undermines trust, no?

Erm, no.

I never trusted my folks any less when I found out that Santa, or the tooth fairy…or for that matter, big stuff like God and mortal sin and venal sin and confession and religion-based shit that scared the **** out of me as a kid.

I’m all for letting kids have imaginations, being creative…and if that means sometimes making stuff up…fairy tales, pretending inanimate objects actually have lives and personalities, that dogs go to Devon when they die and lots of other stuff.

Jesus, they’ll have seventy odd years of the brutal realities and miseries of human existence so let their childhoods be years of innocent fun and bullshit.

Cougar

It’s probably a good thing that I never reproduced.

McHamish
    Free Member

In our house Santa liked 2 cans of best bitter as a refreshment after he had dropped off the presents.

My suspicions grew when I noticed that my Dad also liked best bitter.

Gweilo
    Free Member

OP its not about what you like, its about allowing a child to believe something magical happens once a year. The time to let it go is when she decides its rubbish, and I’m sure she’ll tell you. Think of it this way until she was 2, she probably had no concept of Father Christmas and therefore didn’t believe, by three she probably did and now after a year you want ti take that away.

Your other option I suppose is to tell her its a Roman, pre-christian festival called Satrunalia during which the populace would feast and exchange presents, and the slave took on the role of master for a day., overlaying a christian festival and that the date was decided at the conference of Nicosia in 601 AD by the Emperor Constantine. Might not be such a fun thought for a 4 y/o

I’m off to cry in a corner at the thought of somebody telling a four year old Father Christmas is Bollox 😥

Bregante

A *Spoilers* warning would have been nice.

Thanks a lot O.P 🙄

edlong
    Free Member

Santa is real if you want him to be. I strongly suspect that your four year old daughter really, really wants him to be. So why do you want to stop her?

All that joy that Santa brings, once it’s gone it’s gone for good and you never get it back.

On a practical note, you won’t be the most popular dad down the nursery / primary school if and when your daughter tells all her friends the sad news.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a difference between a fun game of make believe and deceit, I think.

When I was a kid it was a bit of fun, I can only ever remember being intensely skeptical about Santa from my earliest memories, and I was pretty convinced that it was all pretend by the time I was 4 or 5. I didn’t mind though, I got two presents after all 🙂

I think if you try too hard to make them believe in it, you’re just being mean. Kids can know it’s a game and still enjoy it imo.

Squidlord
    Free Member

LOL @ Bregante

Drillski
    Free Member

SANTA’S NOT REAL?!

Whaddya Mean!?!? Nooooooooooo……..Say it isn’t so……………

Sits down to examine whats real and what isn’t anymore as whole world crumbles….!

OP – get a grip.

Our daughter is 12 and whilst she admits that she said she believed last year for mums benefit, even if we ask her now if she still believes a little bit, we get a little coy nod.

We have witnessed innocence disappearing at an alarming rate over the last year – believe me, when your daughter is 12, you’ll be wanting to cling onto every little bit.

Drillski
    Free Member

Pah….next thing you’ll be telling me is that all those chaps that used to call round to see my mum weren’t really my uncles! Must admit though that we haven’t seen them for a few years now…..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If your children still get excited at the thought or pretence of Santa then what’s the harm of going along with it, although there will be a few naysayers on here that say otherwise.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Santa will still be coming to this house with kids aged 10 and 7!
    Santa was a little frustrated last yr after attempting to construct a trampoline from 11 pm onwards! Santa unbelievably said some swear words at mrs claus during construction! He got there tho and everyone was happy!

lizzz
    Free Member

My parents told my brother at the age of 6 that Santa isn’t real and that really it’s Dad bringing the presents… the first thing he did was to ask how Dad manages to get round the whole world in one night.
    The second thing he did was to inform the rest of us (ages 3 and 4) that there’s no Santa.

None of us were bothered, and it was fun having the whole family in on the secret and pretending to believe. We still get presents from ‘Santa’ now.

tommytowtruck

Its Father Christmas anyway, you miserable old sod.

Hohum
    Free Member

Our eldest is 13 and she still believes.

My wife and I had thought that she didn’t, but I was talking about Father Christmas with here, not sure exactly what, but she must have interpreted what I said as he was not true and her face dropped a mile and I quickly had to do some back pedaling!

theotherjonv

I’ve got friends with two grown up kids – prob 18 and 20 now. When they were younger, every Christmas Eve, dad would go out ‘to deliver some cards’, quickly slip into the Santa costume and them the kids would catch a glimpse of him on the garage roof on his way to the chimney.

They had a 3rd child about 4 years ago. When Christmas came round, Dad mentioned he’d need to get the Santa outfit out of the loft again. The kids shared a conspiratorial wink with their parents, and then Adam, the son, said he’d go and get it because dad’s too old to be climbing on roofs now. Now every Christmas eve Adam goes out ‘to deliver some cards’ and the whole family including 4 year old Leah catch a glimpse of santa on his way up to the roof.

And you know what – All four of them share in Leah’s magic all over again.

Don’t take that enjoyment away.

Candodavid
    Free Member

We are as parents Santa, don’t let kids lose the belief, because of your own grown up attitude

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Santa’ is closed to new replies.