Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
  • bedmaker

I’m considering one of these. For the price of the frame and shock I could buy one of these (well almost)

or a cheaper susser AND a cross bike

Am I mental? It’s not like I’m particularly rich or anything.
    I feel a bit like this guy

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i know exactly how you feel…precious, precious indeed

bri-72

Do it do it do it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Rumour has it on MTBR that they wont be offered as a frame only option initially as SC want to concentrate on full bikes.

There, solved your problem 😉

bedmaker

Ah good, an accountant teling me to go for it. That’s it settled then.
    I know where I can get it frame only…… 🙂

robg
    Free Member

Did you get it? And if so has it lived up to expectations? I’m having similar thoughts about wanting one / thinking it’s mental to spend that much, and so am interested in your experience.

timbo678
    Free Member

I’m with robg…really want one, definitely can’t justify it and wife will shoot me but….well…it’s just so…precious

khani
    Free Member

I’d love one…but.apart from the eye watering frame price…it would Have to have a set of Fox 34’s..then you get to the wheels..’cheap wheels with you eye watering…pants wettingly expensive frame and forks sir?’ ‘or carbon wheels sir?’
    My mrs would stab my face up… 🙁 in the end I got a new Titus rockstar frame for £2000 less than the Tallboy ltc frame and it’s ace 😀 and my stunning good looks remain intact…..

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Be weak so I’m not alone, I HAD to give in and order a carbon Nomad yesterday.

I cheaped out on the carbon wheels and just got alloy Havens in the end (mostly because I need a 142x12mm rear axle and they were cheap on crc – plus Im still hoping that I can convert my current set of Easton Carbon Havens to 142mm)

I did however sucumb to 2013 Fox 34 Talas, 2013 X0, and some carbon bars etc…

I highly recommend you don’t spec it on competitivecyclist.com as it gives you all the component weights and the total bike weight because then you end up trying to get the weight down more and before you know it you’ve spent nearly 5000gbp on an all mountain bike…

Should be under 26lbs though…

bedmaker

I finally got the tallboy on the 10th August, just in time for my birthday, after ordering it in mid April.
    I think I’ve ridden it enough now to give a decent review.
    In short, believe the hype. It is a superb bike.
    The expense is forgotten about once you are enjoying it, although I do find myself more paranoid about leaving it lying around as I would struggle to afford to replace it.

I’ve had it on long Torridon loops 3 or 4 times, local singletrack and a week in Spain with Ciclo Montana.
    I’ve found it really capable on all terrain and really well balanced. I’ve never ridden another bike where I can get into a two wheel drift and both wheels go together and still feel quite controlled.
    Fast rocky descents are where it is really ridiculously fast and stable.
    The myth about 29ers not being good at techy tight trails is just that, a myth. Look up some of the ciclo vids on youtube to see the switchback trails I had no problem with.

My build is:
    Fox 34 float CTD – no need for TALAS, it just seems to work well at 140 everywhere
    Reverb
    Flow rims on Pro 2/ Superstar Trizoid
    RP23
    70 mm stem/ Salsa pro moto 17 degree sweep
    SLX brakes
    Hans Dampf 2.4/Ardent 2.4
    1×10 30T ring on SLX cranks, XT shadow Mech

Enve rims would be nice but I’d rather have two holidays instead.

I’ve been a Rockshox fan since forever but this fork is in a different league. I rode a demo LTc with the new Revs. They do the job, but the Fox is miles better.
    I’m going to stick some skinnier tyres on for the winter mud.

Bad bits –

the cost obviously

Weird SC sizing. I had to get a large frame, first time ever. TT is perfect but ST could do with being 1.5 inch shorter.

Not as easy to manual/pop off stuff as my old Honzo. But the Honzo is particularly short for a 29er

The bottom link is a bit exposed, although it doesn’t seem to be a problem. It seems to look worse than it is.

Good bits –

Stiffness, lightness, VPP, Grease nipples! (why doesn’t everyone use them?) Adjustable bearings in pivots.

It’s just a really good all rounder.

singlespeedstu

The bottom link is a bit exposed, although it doesn’t seem to be a problem. It seems to look worse than it is.

What you need is one of these. 🙂

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=70653
    Just come back from a week in France with mine and it’s got a couple of scuff on the guard but the frame and linkage is fine.

bedmaker

Good find Stu. I’ll probably get one of them. picked up some chips after my week in Spain

singlespeedstu

The guy’s easy to deal with and it arrived pretty quick.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The £2700 price tag – does it actually include the forks too?

As certain mags suggest……….

singlespeedstu

As certain mags suggest

They’re wrong then.

Moda
    Free Member

£2700 is frame only, was looking at one myself but I am now looking at the new Cube Stereo 29ers that will cost that for a full bike

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

What Mountain Bike mag – September 2012, clearly states £2699 (frame, fork & shock) and not the first time I have read that.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Would love one of these, but the cost!!Especially as the Ali one is quite a bit cheaper, and apart from an extra pound or so in weight, does it ride any different? you could get a Tallboy LTa and fox 34 for the price of the carbon frame.

Bedmaker, how tall are you to go for the Large frame?

singlespeedstu

What Mountain Bike mag – September 2012, clearly states £2699 (frame, fork & shock) and not the first time I have read that.

Like I said they’re wrong then.
    Not the first time I’ve seen that. 😆

There are deals to be had on full builds though. 😉

the Ali one is quite a bit cheaper, and apart from an extra pound or so in weight, does it ride any different?

The ali test bike I tried was no where near as stif in the rear or as quick on the climbs. Still quite a nice bike though.

bedmaker

5’10” Reign man

2699 is frame/shock only

Cube Stereo looks like a great alternative.

Wookster

I’ve wondered about the price, as carbon frame and fork from boutique brands didn’t seem to add up with the sell a kidney press!! Whats a Fox 34 fork £800-900?

charliemort

Isn’t the Transition Bandit 29 £1400? which looks a bit of a bargain in comparison (although not carbon)

or a full build Whyte at £2000 then flow what you don’t want

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Same height as me then, think I’m going have to get a test ride on a large and medium, but looking at the numbers a large seems to be the one.

singlespeedstu

If it helps you any i’m 6′ and on a large.

paulevans
    Free Member

I’ll tell you something, my Tallboy C – best bike i have ever owned. Ever owned that is until i swapped it for a Tallboy LTc. Believe the hype, all of it. Quite simply the best alround MTB ever (if you like the FS 29er thing).

I use mine up here in the Lakes and i swear it is quicker that my old Nomad C, but up and down!!

Cost, yep, very steep, but you just want to keep taking it further and faster.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc’ is closed to new replies.