Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Santa cruz superlight 29er
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

All seems to have gone a bit quiet- very little review info and no frame only purchase opportunity by the looks of it.

Anyone got one and want to share a review?

Thanks

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Yeah seen all the early 2012 stuff but then it’s all gone quiet- interested in uk riders perspectives as opposed to a managed event in a nice sunny dry environment !

singlespeedstu

Mrs ssstu’s thinking of getting a test ride on one.

Not much use I know.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Well I’m in no rush so her view after said test ride would be good

singlespeedstu

so her view after said test ride would be good

She might be able to tell you what colour it was. 😆

tazzymtb

and she rides about a gazillion times faster n harder than you pop 😆

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Haha- that is only for you to say…..tell you what you have a quick go when she’s not looking and you can tell me what colour it was

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tazzy- who doesn’t!!

simonm
    Free Member

Hi I have one.

I built it up back in June, so one of the first around. First setup with 100mm Rebas, now I have 120mm Revelation. The 120mm Rev has made all the difference to the bike.

I also have a TRc, and actually, its suprising how close to the TRc this bike rides.

The 100mm travel bottom is found from time to time.. at which point you bend your legs, I’ve had no brake jack etc expected with a single pivot, and to be honest feels almost as plush as VPP on TRc.

I have had issues with the pivot bolts coming loose after the last couple of rides despite being previously tightend. That issue I’m monitoring.

Built up it weighs 28lbs with Reverb post, hope hoops, some XT kit. I’ve recently setup as 1×10 and gives me plenty of range.

Its best with a flat bar, I have Kore Torsion Bars 710 Flat with 9 degree back sweep. Briefly had some riser bars which didnt feel nice

Its better than the TRc in the expected areas for large wheels. Climbing, especially technical is better. Easier going over longer rides, not that the TRc is displeasurable. Descending is pretty good fun. On my local loops around Sheffield / Peak, the only descernable difference in my Strava times between the two bikes are what the trails are like and how I’m feeling…not the bikes which is a suprise.

Its actually more easy to push around corners than you would expect.

I rode the same trail recently over Derwent edge on Superlight 29, then two weeks later on TRc. Times were simular, except the flagged section where the Superlight was MUCH faster and easier to pedal. The Climb was better on the Superlight, the descent as much fun on both.
    When the going got very rocky the TRc was better.

I wish I could find some 29er tyres as good as RQ 2.2 Black chilis on TRc

I’m riding a small and I’m 5’6″, apparently to short to ride a 29er !

Hope that helps some. If you have any questions fire away.

I think this pic was before The Revs and 1×10 went on.

tazzymtb

do really like the idea of a 29er superlight….damn you pop for putting ideas in my head!

numplumz
    Free Member

How was the front mech clearance to the rear tyre when you had it on the frame, ta

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Thanks Simon good review- looks good- surprised you’re not getting with the nics though

simonm
    Free Member

Plenty or room around the mech, was just a normal XT front mech. a good couple of cm from memory

Yeh, The Nics are awfull to be honest. Very squirmy.. I guess there is just better out there now and I’m used to better tyres

Paceman
    Free Member

29er Maxxis Beavers are excellent.

neil853
    Free Member

do really like the idea of a 29er superlight….damn you pop for putting ideas in my head!

Hmmmm me too….

zippykona

I have had issues with the pivot bolts coming loose after the last couple of rides despite being previously tightend. That issue I’m monitoring.

Any more problems? My one developed a creak and after a new bottom bracket and pedal bearings I found it was the pivot.
    Took the cover off and nipped up the sleeve thing inside the pivot.
    Its fine now just want to know if I should carry a big Allen key with me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Santa cruz superlight 29er’ is closed to new replies.