Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nomad – No alloy version in the works for us 'normal folks'?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Starting to look at bikes for NEXT summer… it’s a little premature I know but like to at least start getting ideas of what’s going to be around. As much as I love a used bargain, maybe leaning towards getting a new one on finance. Now… there’s a few on the shortlist, but one that really really catches my eye is the SC Nomad. I just think it’s one of the most stunning AM bikes out there on the market at the minute, but as much as it makes me go all week at the knees (groin…) that price is insanity!!

Does anyone know if there’s any sign of an alloy version in the works for us normal folks who don’t frequently win the jackpot and have to pay for things like food… and heating… and a mortgage!

Can’t seem to see any articles around, but wondered if anyone has heard anything on the rumourmill?

bikeneil
    Free Member

next summer.

I’d wait till next summer. There will probably be a new wheel size by then…

scruff
    Free Member

I remember an unsubstantiated rumor they were doing a single pivot version (as the Heckler / Bronson) and using the Bullet name again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mbqwerty
    Free Member

Single pivot version would interest me…

I’d wait till next summer. There will probably be a new wheel size by then.

I’m holding out for the 28.25″++ size to come out! Anything else is just junk :-p

andysredmini
    Free Member

Start saving! I cant say its worth the money but it is an amazing bike.
    I bought the frame only and built my no compromise (almost) bike with carbon rims / pro2 hubs, raceface sixc bars and cranks, full xtr for a lot cheaper than the price for an off the shelf build. Ask for discount too and if they refuse walk away. My LBS knocked over £400 off the frame price without me asking.
    Its by far the best bike I have owned and really is good at everything including climbing.
    The only problem is its making me do silly things like learning big doubles and drops.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

There’s a few ‘dream bikes’ out there, some I’ve ridden, some I’ve not. All of them unfortunately are near that £4-5k mark which is just a bit much for my wallet… certainly at the minute!

Saw the liteville 301 at a show this year and absolutely fell in love (mainly because unless you’re up close, it looks like hardtail in the flesh). I just wonder if it’s easier to get a cheaper build then change the bits I want. Nothing wrong with SLX brakes and bars, saddle, grips etc are obviously a very personal choice. I think it all depends on this year and what type of riding I’m doing.

Entered my first mini enduro this year and absolutely loved it, also spending more time out of trail centres and up in the peaks etc.

batman11
    Free Member

Banshee rune has to be worth a look same head angle in slack mode(adjustable to 65.5 and 66)and a lot cheaper new.
    Only thing I’ve got to say is it is stupid quick for my old bones it’s like I’m at the trail obstical and my heads 3seconds behind it. But it is bloody good fun 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There are a lot of equal or better bikes out there in terms of a hypothetical aluminium Nomad.

To name a few

1) Giant Reign (freaking brilliant)
    2) GT Sanction Frameset
    3) YT Capra AL
    4) Mondrakers
    5) Orbeas

darrenspink
    Free Member

6) Transition Patrol

chiefgrooveguru

The Nomad is very similar to the Banshee Rune in geometry, within a few mm and a fraction of degree everywhere, apart from the Rune’s bottom bracket being about 10mm higher (the Nomad is very low once sagged). Rune’s suspension design is arguably better!

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have a Nomad. If I was looking for a alloy bike I’d be all over a Transition Patrol.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Or try to get an ex demo. Santa cruz have a used cc(costly carbon) for 3640 on thier site at the mo

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Definitely some good options… Gotta say though still not sure as beautiful as that nomad (and not just in the mental colours). Quite interested to get something there’s not a lot of on the trails, but the giant looks a good deal! Any more I should keep my eyes on?

MSP

specialized enduro

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Definitely some good options… Gotta say though still not sure as beautiful as that nomad (and not just in the mental colours). Quite interested to get something there’s not a lot of on the trails, but the giant looks a good deal! Any more I should keep my eyes on?

You can’t spend your time eyeing something as lovely as a NomadC, and then buy a Giant. You’ll forever be disappointed, like going out to pull a stunner, and ending up going home with Sandi Toksvig….

andysredmini
    Free Member

Whilst all those bikes are probably very good I agree with nobeerinthefridge. If you want a nomad then wait and get a nomad. No point settling for second best. You may initially be happy but would always be wishing you had bought the one you actually wanted.

RickDraper
    Free Member

IIRC the Giant has a press fit bottom bracket? I’d avoid that like the black death if it does.

eshershore
    Free Member

@Rick Draper

Giant use Shimano press fit BB – easily the best out of the lot and very little trouble in the real world; also very easy to remove/refit and inexpensive to replace

designed by Shimano to work specifically with their HT2 cranks so nylon sleeves isolating the bearing from the metal crank axle, rather than the common ‘metal bearing on metal axle’ which causes so much trouble with other press fit systems

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you avoid Press fit bottom brackets, you’re ruling out a whole lot of bikes.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can’t spend your time eyeing something as lovely as a NomadC, and then buy a Giant. You’ll forever be disappointed, like going out to pull a stunner, and ending up going home with Sandi Toksvig….

I went from the new Nomad to a carbon Reign. Mainly because I should have bought an XL Nomad, as it’s still an average sized bike now, rather than the small one it was before.

The Shimano press fit BB didn’t put me off, before I gave my wife my Nomad she had a bike with one for about 2 years – it was just as reliable as a normal HT2 BB.

Other press fit systems i’ve used have been a horrible creaking, moving mess by comparison.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

If you want a nomad then wait and get a nomad. No point settling for second best.

I’m basing the Nomad purely on the fact it looks absolutely stunning, but I’ve not had chance to ride one to actually check (missed my chance at the last demo day at cannock). I know a lot of them have similar geometry (bloody ‘enduro’ geometry!) and I’m sure whatever bike I get will ride well. It was just paining me a bit that Cruz has alloy versions of most of their rides but not the nomad. I don’t mind the press fit BB too, I’ve a good relationship with the local shop who have a lot of experience in stopping them creaking.

Also… your missus seems pretty damn lucky if you’ve donated her your old Nomad!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Yeti have now gone 100% carbon across their range so replacing my alloy SB95 is going to be a bit of a money struggle. I’ve decided to just get my frame professionally repainted by Chromaworks at the end of this season and convince myself it’s a new bike!

tomhoward

Op whereabouts are you? If you can get to stainburn, and reckon you need a large, you’re welcome to give mine a spin

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Mine (large) will be up for sale next summer as I will be looking for a new bike then i think

jolmes
    Free Member

Throwing mine into the mix too, might be oiking mine for sale in the up and coming months, however its the carbon version from late 2012.

Dependent on how much riding time I get out of it as atm, its sat in the lockup loved but unused to its full extent 🙁

tomhoward

That said, stif are doing a demo day at stainburn next Saturday…

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Yeah I just literally got that email through – unfortunately I’m in France that weekend on the motorbike

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Except if we’re talking about machines, coming home with the Giant is like coming home with an HRC Honda instead of a pretty but unequivocally crap Ducati.

There’s a plus side to going with a massive brand as opposed to a boutique one, they have a massive R&D budget. Hence why Transitions aluminium frames weigh 7.5lb whilst the Reign weighs 6.1lb whilst coming with a lifetime warranty.

EDIT: Although the lifetime warranty is a curse in a way as I will never want to nitromors it and have it sprayed in the color I want.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I dont post much on here but thought i’d add………..

Yes SC Momads are a cracking ride DOWN a hill, DO NOT go to Stainburn and come away thinking “I’m having that” its the BEST Bike EVER,

Get one and ride your Local trails, stuff that your used to riding NOT something that you have never ridden before. AND prepare to be amazed at the amount of times your pedals and cranks smack even the most slightly undulated camber as you try and get the pedal strokes in on your pedally switchback Singletrack !

No doubt they are great if you are only doing gravity fed descending, but as a peddler i couldnt hack it, I’ve not tried any of the others so i wont comment, i’ve tried this and found it a real let down.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Pump. Pedaling is for silly buggers. Don’t corner outside heel down in anything but flat corners (you shouldn’t anyway). Also, don’t run so much sag. 😛

The Reigns as low, I only got a pedal strike on my demo ride when I was riding like an utter cretin.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Trust me, I wanted it to not ground that much, it was pedalling up that created the effect not down, it carried its speed well, but none of you need me to tell you that.
    Gentle inclines with mud tracks either side caught the pedals, pedalling across Cutt Gate was soul destroying, sag was fine,

The BB hight was my

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Huh. Do you know what length the cranks were? Maybe some genius had specced it with 175mm?

I really didn’t notice the issue with the Reign, I was running about 30 percent sag, maybe it doesn’t wallow in it’s midstroke as much.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My El Guapo V3 is just as low think it has a pretty normal BB height.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sagged, the Nomad is probably lower than the El Guapo?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Doubt it El guapo BB height is just above 13 inches the travel is a 150 rear 170 front. The Nomad is 13.4 inch BB height 165mm rear and 160mm front.

bigrich

aluminium is coming back on the road, so I would expect the MTB marketeers to start huffing alu frames again in a year or two.

you can get a alu 90210, and that’ll be all the bike you need anyway.

rOcKeTdOg

Huh. Do you know what length the cranks were? Maybe some genius had specced it with 175mm?

You do know that 170-175 crank arms are the same length but the hole for the pedal spindles are drilled in different places?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nomad lower bb than Bronson. No issues from me on Bronson bb hight. I’m kinda not surprised as the Nomads designed for more downhill than trail machine where low bb will be an advantage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Except if we’re talking about machines, coming home with the Giant is like coming home with an HRC Honda instead of a pretty but unequivocally crap Ducati.

Go on then, explain to us all why Nomads are crap?.

wrecker
    Free Member

Go on then, explain to us all why Nomads are crap?.

He’s either been lobotomised or he has no idea what he’s talking about!
    (I don’t own a nomad BTW).
    AND you’d need to be a complete knucklehead to buy that Reign for £4K when you can get an equivalent spec Canyon Strive for £1700 less. Sheesh for £300 more, you can get the daddy carbon version w/XTR/36/cane creek etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nomad – No alloy version in the works for us 'normal folks'?’ is closed to new replies.