Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Santa Cruz Nickel Headset and Fork Question
  • sidders34
    Free Member

Just looking for a bit of help. Seen a good deal on a new Nickel frame, so thinking about buying this and selling my 2010 Stumpy FSR frame.

Most of the parts will swap straight over apart from the headset. This is the spec for the Nickel:

SHIS Top : ZS44/28.6
    SHIS Bottom : EC49/40

Is this the correct headset if I use my 1 1/8th straight forks?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSOOSMTAPER/on-one-smoothie-mixer-tapered-headset

Also the Nickel has 125mm rear travel, will my 150mm rev be Ok?

Thanks

Chris

OwenP

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/santa-cruz-nickel-fork-length , not really an absolute answer then!

Headset seems about right (I’ve got a Butcher and it looks similar).

smatkins1
    Free Member

The Butcher and the Nickel seemed to appear and disappear quite quickly from the Santa Cruz line up. I wonder why Santa Cruz didn’t persist with this APP suspension design.

It must be a few years since they stopped making the nickel, is this new from a shop?

I’ve run a fork 10mm over what’s recommended before without any problems. Once you’ve dropped into the travel while riding it doesn’t make a real difference.

sidders34
    Free Member

Thanks, yes it’s new from a shop, just over £500, most of the components and forks on my stumpy are less than a year old, happy to stick with 26 so seems like a good deal. Should get a 2-300 for the old frame, so man maths is telling me it’s a cheap way to get a new bike.

batman11
    Free Member

Headset sounds right from memory. Fork wise they maxed at 140 mm travel which was pretty good when I had mine. Mind it’s a Heavy frame so don’t expect a light build. Was a good bike though so enjoy it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Nickel Headset and Fork Question’ is closed to new replies.