Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Santa Cruz Megatower
  • edd

Not unexpected, but looks great!

Blackflag
    Free Member

A lot of these bikes leave me a bit cold. Sure, if i was spending my days at an uplift in Wales then its probably a great bike. LLS and loads of travel makes for a confidence inspiring rig when pointed DOWN over rock gardens, but when riding the peaks / lakes when most of the terrain is either UP or ACROSS, then these bikes have a tendency to feel dead and unresponsive. They need the high velocity only a long downhill can provide to really wake up.

CheesybeanZ

Looks like they’ve finally got the sizing sorted.

jameso

They need the high velocity only a long downhill can provide to really wake up.

‘Planing bikes’ – like a sinker windsurfer they’re a bit hopeless for moving along steadily but really great for skimming and carving over the tops once up to speed and planing, assuming you have the skill to get there. The thing about sinkers it’s obvious, but less so with bikes and the appeal of the tech can hide all of that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A lot of these bikes leave me a bit cold. Sure, if i was spending my days at an uplift in Wales then its probably a great bike. LLS and loads of travel makes for a confidence inspiring rig when pointed DOWN over rock gardens, but when riding the peaks / lakes when most of the terrain is either UP or ACROSS, then these bikes have a tendency to feel dead and unresponsive. They need the high velocity only a long downhill can provide to really wake up.

I’d tend to disagree, although I only have a lowly 160/150 Bronson, it’s the best pedalling bike I’ve ever had by a country mile, the acceleration on the flat is very noticeable compared to the bikes I had before (it replaced a Capra and a 29er Spectral)

I think the strength of the modern big bikes is the fact they are now true do it all bikes.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s a big old miss from me. It doesn’t bring anything to the table that everyone else already does.

And the actual SA is rubbish for us taller people. Yet another bike where you will end up being right off the back of the bike with a decent amount of seatpost.

No doubt they will sell bucketloads to be ridden slowly on mellow terrain though 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

“Planing bikes” – I like that.

kimbers

bit of a meh review from pinkbike, comsidering it costs $8.5k!

tomhoward

Yeah, it’s cool and all, but I don’t think ‘ermagerd, need that!’. Doesn’t seem to bring anything new to the game. Just more wheelsize and travel.

Who rode a Nomad and thought ‘this is crying out for 29” wheels’?

Blackflag
    Free Member

although I only have a lowly 160/150 Bronson,

I don’t imagine that’s too bad though as the geo isnt too LLS and it has 27.5 wheels. I’m on a Hightower 29 150 / 135 and it very lively, engaging and fun to ride. But i demoed a lot of proper 29r enduro bikes last year (160 / 160) and that little bit of difference between ‘trail’ and ‘enduro” was really noticeable.

But i’n not an enduro rider, if i was id probably have bought one 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s not for me either, but as said above, it’ll sell loads, despite not being groundbreaking.

Who rode a Nomad and thought ‘this is crying out for 29” wheels’?

The folk that define bikes by wheelsize 🙂

roverpig

Is that little bit of plastic really going to keep all the crap of a British winter off the shock?

AlexSimon

Hob Nob
    And the actual SA is rubbish for us taller people. Yet another bike where you will end up being right off the back of the bike with a decent amount of seatpost.

When you say tall, do you mean long-legged? They have an XXL size, so surely by selecting the size that puts your seat in the right place, it’s all good? There is also the 10mm chainstay length adjustment and maybe 15mm seat rail adjustment. I bet if you do the geometry, you’d be able to put the seat exactly where you want it.

tomhoward

Well, I’m off up to stif this aft, to pick up my trusty, now ageing, 5010. I shall have a fondle and report back on any hidden innovations they’ve managed to sneak past the entire bike media.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not really bringing anything new to the table as far as I can see. Most bikes are much of a muchness these days.. all based around about two or three generic suspension platforms with minor tweaks about which they all claim various benefits from, but ultimately most of us wouldn’t be able to appreciate the difference..they’re all as good as eachother really. I think the only thing that would tempt me to dig that deep into my pockets (well credit lines really) would be something that offers something different…I quite like the look of the up and coming Forbidden Druid with the high pivot suspension platform…something a bit different, but not sure what the pricing will be yet.. I assume up in the hyperbike prices so probably a bit too rich for me.

chrismac

Bit of a miss for me. Doesnt seem to bring anything new to the party. Im sure their race team will take advantage of it and Im sure they will sell bucket loads of them

SirHC

Shock rear bearing is going to get a pasting from the mud, won’t be long before that fails.

Bike industry really needs to standardise/improve the way seat angle is measured. Megatower is better than the hightower LT, but you are still going to be too far back. Fitting a zero offset post will help (One-Up).

bikecurious
    Free Member

Surely we’re all missing the point here. It’s an enduro race bike full stop. Meant to replace the HTLT which was a bodge to get a longer travel 29er in the lineup until this came along. The LT only came about because Mark Scott wanted more travel for enduro racing (according to their website).

But yeah, it’ll sell a ton to people who don’t need it.

tomhoward

I assume up in the hyperbike prices

£4499-£9499

monkeyboyjc

No offence to any one that owns a santcruz, but I find them more of a santasnooze kind of a brand nowdays – abit like the audi/orange5 owners club of a few years ago.
    If your spending that kinda cash I’d want something a bit ‘special’…..

Having said that, I’m sure that it rides great, but it’s not for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shock rear bearing is going to get a pasting from the mud, won’t be long before that fails.

You would think, but I know a fair few Nomad owners and that just hasn’t happened.

tomhoward

No offence to any one that owns a santcruz, but I find them more of a santasnooze kind of a brand nowdays – abit like the audi/orange5 owners club of a few years ago.
    If your spending that kinda cash I’d want something a bit ‘special’…..

100% this, speaking as an owner of a 5yo 5010, I’m really not inspired to buy any of the current line up. There doesn’t seem to be anything different to what someone else is doing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d only be going from the #Brawnson to another SC if they bring out an ebike. Ooft!, imagine the hate on here for a SC ebike, the haterz would combust! 🙏🏻🤣🤣🤣

tomhoward

Ooft!, imagine the hate on here for a SC ebike, the haterz would combust! 🙏🏻🤣🤣🤣

The pinkbike servers wouldn’t be able to cope with all the frothing/hatred/spike in selling posts

chakaping
    Free Member

Well SC bikes usually look a bit conservative to me, but contrary to most on this thread I actually quite like this.

Not gonna get one, but would be an option if money was not an issue.

Yeah it’s not as radical as some and slacker and longer than others – but it sits about where my taste currently lies.

johnw1984
    Free Member

They’ve gone all classy and low-key!

I used to be in the club where I didn’t really want one based on pictures, but after seeing them in the flesh and test riding my Hightower, I would definitely have another SC.

Not sure if I’d want a Megatower over a Nomad though (and I’ve been favouring 29ers for a couple of years).

ad4m
    Free Member

Well, I suppose I know which bike I’m going to see on top of all the leased BMWs, Audi’s and VW T5s in the car park at Glentress in 2019, no doubt it’ll be the top CC build ready to tackle the challenges of the Blue route.

Bit stereotypical, but that’s what I’ve seen about 90% of all the Santa Cruz bikes I’ve ever seen used for.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool story sis.

frogstomp

Bit stereotypical, but that’s what I’ve seen about 90% of all the Santa Cruz bikes I’ve ever seen used for.

FTFY

Maybe try some trails away from the blues..? :-p 😉

russyh
    Free Member

completely underwhelmed with the megatower, usual boring SC colours as well…really Meh! Sure they will sell loads mind. Also don’t buy this passive aggresssive, reverse snobbery to SC. What does it matter how or what people ride? FWIW a number of my mates on SC are some of the wildest/fastest riders locally. None of them has a T6 or BMW.

ad4m
    Free Member

FTFY

Maybe try some trails away from the blues..? :-p 😉

Haha, should’ve seen that one coming. Well I normally see them around the Blue at the Buzzards nest on my way up to the Mast on the rare occasion I’m at GT (much prefer Inners).

Don’t think I’ve ever seen one up at the Mast mind. Or a dirty one even, they’re always sparkling clean even in the depths of winter, must have some fancy paint on them 😉…

buenfoxa
    Free Member

@ad4m

Working your way through that green eyed haters manual aren’t you….

Love how you got in about disliking trail centres aswell – classic 😂👌🏼

ad4m
    Free Member

Working your way through that green eyed haters manual aren’t you….

Love how you got in about disliking trail centres aswell – classic 😂👌🏼

Yep, just got the manual in the mail today, figured I’d make a start on the first chapter. Trail centres, Santa Cruz, E-bikes, 29 wheels, boost hubs…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Far too much suspension for me, a good 130 full suspension is more than capable.
    These will be selling like hot cakes in peaslake,
    When the ideal bike would have to be tallboy or 5010
    Or if you like big air a bronson

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, a 130mm is too much for you but surely choice is a good thing?.

They do 130mm bikes.

coomber
    Free Member

Too much bike for me but sizing looks decent.

As for people being overbiked, who actually cares as long as people are out there using them having fun.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge, either i’ve written it badly or you’ve missread. 130/140 is perfect for the UK.

are bigger suspension bikes efficient?
    I’m in two minds, bigger suspension allows you to go faster, making a better (quicker decision making) rider (or allows a poor skilled rider more speed downhill)
    versus need to pick a better line with shorter travel.

i had a 150mm/140mm canyon spectral (older gen) it was w***,
    i had a hire of a whyte c150 totally nullified glentress

i’ve now had a 5010v2 over a year and its more than capable, fast, playful and climbs exceedingly well, far better than my XC lefty 29er hardtail.

Its only felt out of its limit once, and that was poor rider skill, rather than the bike. :0)

in regards overbiked if you only ride once a week i guess it doesnt matter, but i wouldn’t fancy dragging a big lump around when i ride 3-7 times a week depending on winter or summer.

As you say choice is good, SC bring out a new tallboy… damn it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As for people being overbiked, who actually cares as long as people are out there using them having fun.

This, there’s no such thing as overbiked.

coomber
    Free Member

Exactly!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Megatower’ is closed to new replies.