Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Santa Cruz HT LT with Hope brakes
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anyone running hope brakes on a HT LT?
    Finally building mine up after waiting for forks to arrive.
    The rear calliper is as far to left as possible and the hope disc rivets catch on the frames carbon post mount.
    The only way I can overcome this is to put a washer between the drop out and the hub basically creating a 150mm drop out. I’ve checked the wheel and it’s 148mm so therefore not the issue.
    Even though the calliper is banged over to the left it’s almost rubbing on the disc.
    It seems the integral carbon post mount is just in the wrong place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d probably be getting back to them about that, does a Shimano ice tech fit?
    Also what size disc is it?

zelak999
    Free Member

Haven’t tried any other discs.
    It’s a 183mm disc.
    Even with a thinner disc there will be minimal clearance.
    I’ll email SC and see what they come up with.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the best here bit 183 on my meta – though I have an adaptor in there

STATO
    Free Member

You don’t mention the hubs you are using. Sadly hub manufacturers don’t use a standard spacing to have the disc in the same position. Hope tend to run more inboard than others so I’d guess that’s not a hope hub?

I seriously doubt it’s a frame issue and you are just a victim of a lack of standard for rotor spacing. Switch to a non floating rotor and it will be fine, or change the hub.

compass81

Not quite the same but run those hope rotors on my wife’s 5010. That is definitely not right. However I would suggest that it is a hub issue rather than the rotor or the frame. Check all the hub spacers are correctly installed and in the right way (drive side on the right side?), check the cassette is installed correctly with the right spacers. If that fails try and accurately measure the frame axel spacing to see if the frame is out. I wouldn’t think this would be the problem though?

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m using the SC reserve wheelset with the DT Swiss 350 hub. I’ve measured it with calippers and it is 148mm.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m using the SC reserve wheelset with the DT Swiss 350 hub. I’ve measured it with calippers and it is 148mm.

Yep nothing wrong with the hub and wrong with the frame. It’s just not compatible with hope floating rotors as they are wider. You need a hope hub or a normal rotor. It’s annoying this is never mentioned anywhere but hope hub calipers and rotors are designed to accommodate this. Sure they will work fine most other times just not right on that combo at the end of the tolerance DT and SC run too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Your calliper bolt could do with a dust.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Wonder if it’s a different story with the older Hightower as that is IS mount on the rear?

I was about to purchase a 180mm disc for the rear (also on Reserve/DT350 wheels).

compass81

Yep, running hope hubs here. As STATO suggests thats probably the difference. Interesting and not something i’d ever considered.

barbs
    Free Member

Think I read something about this on one of the mtbr threads on the Hightower LT so might be worth trawling through them.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Here you go

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/santa-cruz-hightower-lt-1049621-5.html

Its a hub thing by the looks of it, which is pretty crap of SC IMO.

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    I’d rather of had a post mount as per the old frames since it provides more flexibility.
    That’s progress I guess.
    Off to dust my calliper bolts now…..

sillyoldman

It’s the rotors that are out of spec if they require specific hubs to work?

scotroutes

I’d rather of had a post mount as per the old frames since it provides more flexibility.

That is Post Mount.

It’s the rotors that are out of spec if they require specific hubs to work?

Exactly.

alanm
    Free Member

Hope Floating rotors are slightly thicker than Shimano and Sram rotors, thats the problem.

daver27
    Free Member

Had exactly that on a Norco range carbon with a hope.rotor and a DT Swiss 240 hub. Works fine with a SRAM rotor.

Gotama
    Free Member

As above. Have you tried putting the front rotor on the rear hub out of interest, even if it’s a different size and you need to take the calipers off.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’m running Hope E4s on my Hightower (non LT) with the stock SRAM rotors. Needed to buy the Hope adapters. Fit just fine. Rear wouldn’t work with the SRAM adapter.

Ah. Didn’t read post properly. I have the stock SRAM discs.

vincienup
    Free Member

From the mtbr thread Darrenspink posted earlier, it looks more like a combination off SC leaving as much material in the brake mount as they can, the Hope floating rotor being thicker than anything else on the market and the mount points for the rotors on IS hubs not being as standard as they might be. Axle spacing is a red herring here.

From that thread, DT350 and i9 hubs both have the same issue. Neither of these are low quality hubs, so not likely a QC issue, just bad luck with everyone playing the tolerance game.

bigwill
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar issue on a HT frame with hope floating rotors, it fitted but really only just, the caliper was pushed right over and still just say caught the rotor until the pad wore a bit. Thinner rotors is the answer.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Zerolight, I wish I’d have seen your post a bit earlier. I’ve just found the Sram mount thing out the hard way 🙁

johnw1984
    Free Member

Oh and for anyone still wondering about Hope mounts etc, the Shimano Post mount doesn’t work either (203mm)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz HT LT with Hope brakes’ is closed to new replies.