Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Santa Cruz frames – Is carbon worth the extra cost?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Considering a Santa Cruz Tallboy frame – Is carbon worth the extra £600 cost?

Currently ride an alloy 140m Full-Suss 26er at around 27.5lbs, trail riding around South Downs, Surrey Hills, and the odd weekend in Wales / Peaks / Lakes etc. Enter the odd local race such as Gorrick, Big Dog but not seriously.

SBrock
    Free Member

I think so yes, they look great, are stiff etc etc

If I had the money I’d have a Nomad & Tallboy carbon……in the meantime I will make do with my Butcher

dhrider
    Free Member

After watching this, I’m convinced so I’d say yes!!

http://m.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SBrock
    Free Member

that video dispells the myth about strength

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, I think SC carbon has passed the test if that video’s anything to go by. Obviously time will tell about longevity, but based on that video, I’d have a carbon SC. Having said that, I don’t really think the performance advantage is worth £600 – you’d be better off putting that £600 into some bling lightweight wheels I reckon but if you’re building up a SC then performance might not be your only factor…

There’s also the nagging factor (“what if I’d spent the extra on this bike”) and you want to be completely happy when you’re spending £4k on a new bike.

float
    Free Member

the one thing about that video is that with an aluminium frame, you can see that its buggered if you smash the front end hard enough whereas the carbon frame looks fine right up until it snaps in two.

saying that, if i had the money id buy carbon, as id probably never get close to breaking it.

Paceman
    Free Member

The alloy frame would be perfectly adequate I think with money spent on a decent mid-lightweight build, but will I regret not getting the carbon frame a few months down the line?

kinger

I had the same thoughts on the Tallboy but the alloy one is around 1.5lb heavier so builds started at around 27lb – seemed a bit chunky.
    Also I know I REALLY wanted the carbon so rather than compromise, just saved a bit harder and bought what I wanted….

dave360

I can’t really answer the “is it worth it” question, but in the last couple of weeks I’ve ridden both the ST mag SC Nickel test bike (alu) and a carbon Blur. While the Nickel was as sorted as you would expect from any SC bike, the carbon Blur really took it to another level. A superb bike to ride in every respect, and what really sealed it for me was when I hoisted it onto my shoulder for a portage section – it was like a normal bike, but with added helium. I now need one in my life.

SBrock
    Free Member

@kinger, what do you think of your carbon Tallboy?

devs
    Free Member

It was worth it for me. I love my carbon tallboy. The best thing about it is that you can ride absolutely everything on it, it goes where my Nomad goes but is a whole universe more fun going uphill!

dekadanse
    Free Member

All Santas are wonderful, but last year I bought a carbon Blur XC frame from a guy on here – insurance replacement for paint bubble (yes, Santa do quibble-free warranties) and the guy had moved on to a TallBoy in the meanwhile. Wow – most amazing bike! So much stiffer at the front end, even with standard QR forks. Makes it capable in really technical situations. Like dave360 says, takes everything to another level.

So – yes, carbon Santa Cruzes are worth it.

SBrock
    Free Member

O god I want a Tallboy carbon now, I heard they were good

I already have a Butcher with 36s for my dark peak riding, I was looking at the Highball for local stuff but like the sound of the Tallboy

pete68
    Free Member

Glad you’re enjoying the blur Dekadanse ! Still have the Tallboy carbon. Awesome bike. To the op, if you can afford the extra its worth it. If its going to cause to much of a financial stretch,get the Alu model,it’ll still be v good.

Paceman
    Free Member

You might have hit the nail on the head there Pete. 😀

D0NK

Santa Cruz frames – Is carbon worth the extra cost?

I was reliably informed by a guy in the trade that no they weren’t, the next time I rode with him he had a carbon frame

Toasty

Woah, that video is amazing. Wonder why they didn’t do this exact thing a long time ago. The concrete wall bit at the end is absolutely nuts.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz frames – Is carbon worth the extra cost?’ is closed to new replies.