Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Santa Cruz Bronson. Looks great think I'll buy one……whoa!!!!£££
  • flange
    Free Member

This interested me, so I had a look and you are absolutely right. About £1K less for a similar build (XT spec with ENVE wheels). All done on google shopping, so there’s potential for further savings with some smart buying (and perhaps a small discount on the frame). That is, if you can get hold of some 650B ENVE rims.

They’re an absolute piss take to be honest. Whilst I agree with Butterbean (why would you undercut your own prices) there has to be an incentive to buying a full build. The incentive with Jungle seems to be you can have a Bronsen. Otherwise (non full build) you can’t

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t have 9 grand, in fact I don’t have any grand.

If I did I would test ride and buy it in a second.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

flange, they did this with the Tallboy LT last year. The frames were available once the initial full builds had been sold. Didn’t take too long.

wrecker
    Free Member

The frames are being advertised by retailers with the following;
    Stock Delivery due at Supplier: approx 22/04/13.
    Obviously I dunno if/when they’ll be available.

there has to be an incentive to buying a full build

Wholly agree.

flange
    Free Member

My mate has just put an order in for a tall boy frame and then had serious thoughts about getting a Bronson. Speaking to the dealer they said that they won’t get the Bronson frames to sell until November time because whilst they’re all shipped as frames and then built up, all of them are either sold already or earmarked for full builds for shops.

I’d have a Santa Cruz if it wasn’t for Jungle taking the piss so much on pricing.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

See Jungle have always been great with me. They accepted a crazy offer on eBay on a brand new frame. Nearly £400 off listed price.

Plus they send me spare bits FOC.

Still I guess that’s a sign of how overpriced the frames are

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d have a Santa Cruz if it wasn’t for Jungle taking the piss so much on pricing.

I shall look elsewhere if I can’t get one from abroad next time. Shame, I really like SC bikes.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I fancy the Alloy one with a 150mm RS Rev 650b fork, 650b Hope Hoops Arch EX, and 2012 XT groupset of my current bike, would be fairly light I guess around 28.5lb ish 🙂

honourablegeorge

Not sure I’d fancy a 150mm 650B Rev – would want something less flexy, particularly for an aggressive bike like that

Paceman
    Free Member

See Jungle have always been great with me. They accepted a crazy offer on eBay on a brand new frame. Nearly £400 off listed price.
    Plus they send me spare bits FOC.
    Still I guess that’s a sign of how overpriced the frames are.

Me too, whenever I’ve called Jungle they’ve been very helpful and have also sent me parts I’ve needed free of charge. I can’t fault the after sales service they’ve provided me so far.

campfreddie
    Free Member

from the sounds of it… most people on here ride £400 rock riders from decathlon, drive secondhand kias and spit and hiss at anyone who has the audacity to drive or ride anything which costs a penny more than is absolutely necessary to get the job done.

this is what happens with maggie thatcher dies…

Trekster

whilst they’re all shipped as frames and then built up, all of them are either sold already or earmarked for full builds for shops.

Or for warranty issues 💡

jools182
    Free Member

I haven’t got 1 grand, never mind 9

even if I had I wouldn’t buy it, purely on the principle I don’t like being blatantly ripped off

honourablegeorge

MoseyMTB – Member

Were good for me on warranty stuff too.

What’s their EBay shop link?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Syncros

Syntace..

You blew your money on a load of crap. The Synatces are aimed at all mountain, your 18mm internal diameter 29er wheels are not. The 24mm internal diameter Syntace 29er wheels weigh 1700 grams.

Your paying considerably more for between a 100 and 200 gram drop on the ENVE AM wheels, an increase in stiffness that has arguable effects on ride quality and an increase in costs for associated with racing.

Plenty of people have also complained the ENVE wheels are to stiff resulting in deflection blasting through rock gardens and the claimed weights have been no where near the actual weights with many samples….unlike the syntaces.

flange
    Free Member

Ooohhh, you’re poor aren’t you.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Not really as I can afford Syntace wheels which are pretty costly in their own right. My problem is with the whole “it’s carbon – it’s stiffer – it must be bettererz”.

So much of this industry is based on image and marketing. Do you really want a wheel that by many accounts pings you around on rock gardens and deadens the feedback through the bike all at the same time.

I’d be quite happy to let people hop on the wheels I use and compare them to a set of another users ENVEs if you guys want over the summer. Just nothing that will result in me having to pay a fortune in repair costs.

flange
    Free Member

In which case I think you should buy both and carry out your own testing…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a sad day when an adult human can afford to spend £9000 on a bicycle.

flange
    Free Member

Ahh, super troll – I’ve missed you

bwaarp
    Free Member

If someone brings along a set of the 21mm width DH rims that weigh 1700 grams and had to be designed to be a bit softer….then I’ll quite happily put a wager down that out of 5 riders the majority of them will prefer the 34mm internal width 1800 gram Syntaces I’ll be running over the summer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t tell me you’ve bought one?

flange
    Free Member

Of course I have

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yup I will be as the replacement costs are actually almost….just almost justifiable.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

All I can say is, you’d better be a bloody good rider. Don’t even think Peatys bike costs that much!

Can’t believe it though, you could get a second hand Focus ST for nine grand!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

2nd hand Ford Focus, wow life don’t get any better than that (gun to head pulls trigger)

mattjg
    Free Member

Surely it’s a good thing some people can afford it? Better than nobody being able to afford it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

**** hell Flange, I’ve just seen your bike! It’s not even got any front OR rear sus! How is that worth nine grand? Or did your electrician have trouble installing your gears? 😆

flange
    Free Member

Haha yeah – I woz robbed. It’s actually more than 9 grand I think, I’d rather not know truth be told

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Better off on 50mm rims FTW anyway 😉

klunky
    Free Member

OOOOOHHHHHHH a 2nd hand focus!!!!!111111
    The 9k Bronson is a team replica bike. If you purchase it you are getting more or less the exact same bike as Ratboy, Peat and Minnaar.

If you can point me in the direction of where I can purchase a team replica Focus WRC car as driven by Petter Solberg etc. then please do let me know.

For regular riders who are not racing etc. Why not look at the Alloy Bronson frame and build it up with a deore groupset? You can probably get it built for under £2700.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t even think Peatys bike costs that much!

I dunno…..

Wanna see pointlessly expensive and pretty shit wheels?
    http://singletrackworld.com/2013/04/sram-launch-roam-and-rail-wheels/
    £1700 a pair. Not particularly light, wide, stiff or tough. £1700 a pair.

Highlandlogger
    Free Member

Last time I checked this was a free country, those who want a Bronson buy one, those who don’t – well don’t.
    You could have the same conversation about any branded goods from Baked Beans to flash cars !

bwaarp
    Free Member

If you can point me in the direction of where I can purchase a team replica Focus WRC car as driven by Petter Solberg etc. then please do let me know.

Silly argument, the level of suspension and chassis technology and R&D that goes into the 9k Bronson is still no better than a 9k Kwak 636 – in fact most likely worse. The level of technology that goes into a race ready machine is well well beyond the level of technology seen in mountain biking. In downhill Sam Hill will probably still be competitive on a 3.5k Nukeproof Pulse compared to the 7-9k Treks, Santa Cruz’s and Specialized bikes – you won’t see that in motorsports. That extra money doesn’t buy you the massive time decreases competent riders see when spending spending double to tripple on race ready machines in motorcycling.

Are you saying that Santa Cruz is worth this in terms of the amount of cutting edge technology you are getting?

Buying that 9k build Bronson makes you a tool, it’s as simple as that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buying that 9k build Bronson makes you a tool, it’s as simple as that.

Really the politics of envy and trying to tell people what they can spend their money on is pathetic. Call msport in cumbria for a ralley car.

klunky
    Free Member

No my point was comparing a bike to a 2nd hand car is pointless.
    The motorbike argument is silly though. We all understand economies of scale etc.

My point I guess was that santacruz make a bronson for all budgets.
    Hell I would never buy one at 9k but I might get an alloy for 3k at some point – who knows.

I’m not sure why you think anyone is a tool for buying one? Are you jealous of those who can afford it? Do you hate Ferrari owners?

LoCo
    Free Member

If you can afford it why not buy it 😕

but then I was told I was a chump for ordering a set of the new Pikes last week 😐

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where the hell does it end?

I know its Roadie stuff, but I’ve just seen these wheels – 4400 quid!

You can get a **** Scooby for that much

And the fact is, they’ll probably be working so many hours to be able to afford them, they won’t even get time to ride them. Absolute waste.

At least with a Scooby, even if you don’t drive it everyday, it’ll still be sat outside your house for people to admire and respect. Thats the beauty of having a top motor, it makes you feel good without even using it.

Dunno whether the same can be said of them bike wheels

BadlyWiredDog

At least with a Scooby, even if you don’t drive it everyday, it’ll still be sat outside your house for people to admire and respect. Thats the beauty of having a top motor, it makes you feel good without even using it.

A little too much froth on that troll I think, even by your standards. I don’t see why you couldn’t leave your expensive road wheels outside your house anyway. They might make a nice garden ornament or you could hang nuts from them for the itty bitty hungry winter birds. I might even buy myself a carbon Bronson and do just that.

bwaarp
    Free Member

We all understand economies of scale etc.

Judging by all the bikestores selling high end bicycles, a hell of a lot less supersports/superbikes get sold than mtbs.

Do you hate Ferrari owners?

Like Ducati owners Ferrari owners buy into the image as opposed to buying the best tool for the job. So yes, I think they’re tasteless twunts with no class. Same goes for any other displays of gaudy Rooneyesque bling.

It’s most definitely not the politics of envy, or even a case of the Fox and the Grapes. These bikes just don’t offer anything other than a name and an aspiration – certainly not any performance benefits over a bike that costs 4 grand.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Bronson. Looks great think I'll buy one……whoa!!!!£££’ is closed to new replies.