Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Santa Cruz Bronson / Cane Creek Headset issue
  • mancian
    Free Member

I’ve had my 2020 Bronson now for about two months. After riding today and cleaning the bike there was rusty water coming from the headset. I did notice vibration too during the ride. I’m guessing both or one of the bearings are goosed.

Is this normal for Cane Creek for the bearings to go so soon?

What’s a good replacement headset that wont kill the bank account.

Cheers.

DezB
    Free Member

My Rocky Mountain had a Cane Creek and the bottom race rusted to buggery after about 3-4 rides (comparitively I have a RaceFace headset in my old Yeti whose bearings lasted 7 years)

I replaced the Cane Creek bearings with Ritchey WCS these and they’ve lasted well so far.

frogstomp

The vibration may just be down to the new bike settling in and the headset losing a bit of bearing preload. Turn your handlebars 90 degrees, put on the front brake and rock the bike back and forth while holding the top / bottom of the headtube where it meets the fork / top of the headset.

It’s an integrated headset, so the bearings just push into the frame. Pop it apart and see how the bearings feel – if they’re ok just clean all the surfaces (of the bearing, the cups and the lower race), give a light coating of grease and reassemble.

GMBN / GMBN Tech have a few videos on YouTube if you’re unsure of anything.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had 2 bikes that came with cane creek 40 headsets.

The 2 shortest lasting components I’ve ever had on a bike.

BoardinBob

Yip, came creek headsets are abysmal. Was going through them every 2-3 months on my Hightower.

Replaced with Hopes integrated pick and mix version, zero problems since.

zinger
    Free Member

cane creek headsets are only good for riding in conditions with no moisture, hopes the way to go

joebristol

Just to add balance my Bird Aeris is 2.5 years old and it’s still on the original Cane Creek headset

nickc

Along with Crank Bros, Cane Creek are manufacturers that I won’t buy if the component involves moving parts

mildbore

Got a Bronson. Came with a Cane Creak headset. Replaced after 2 months with a Hope. Never been touched since

mancian
    Free Member

Hi mate. Which hope headset do I need for my V3 Bronson. Cheers.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have ran a Cane Creek 110 and a Chris King in my Bronson with no issues. I would never run a hope ever again after seeing the cup fall out of V2 Bronson frame.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have ran a Cane Creek 110 and a Chris King in my Bronson with no issues. I would never run a hope ever again after seeing the cup fall out of V2 Bronson frame.

I’m no hope fanboi, far from it, but how do you know the headset cup was the problem?.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Bronson / Cane Creek Headset issue’ is closed to new replies.