Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)
  • Santa Cruz – Are they really that good?
  • ready

I currently have no experience of riding one. Not hating, but just curious to know if the large price tags are actually justified?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go ride one, one of the easiest bikes to demo, make your own mind up 😉

Enjoyed riding all the ones I’ve owned and the fact they have lasted really really well. Also been a decent bunch to deal with when I have, always helpful and friendly.

https://www.jungleproducts.co.uk/dealers/santacruz/

Edit On price tag go compare against the top end spec bikes and see where they stand

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I have had a heckler, Blur, Nomad and V10. Everyone I’ve ridden has been great. Have all pedalled well and decended great. What makes it is the customer service.

What really

What really did it for me it’s that I recently cracked my year and a bit out of warranty frame that I bought in Australia when I lived there, potentially by my own poor mechanic’ing of over tightening, and Jungle did me an incredible deal on a crash replacement frame above and beyond what I would expect from an importer without me doing more than saying hi at Ardrock and sending a speculative email.

Based on the treatment I have experienced and that the new Carbon frames have a lifetime warranty I can’t see me ever going elsewhere.

Also lifetime warranty on bearings so zero maintenance costs if you can do them yourself.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Are you judging based purely on how a bike rides or all the other stuff too? lifetime warranty on bearings, excellent customer service, excellent warranty, hold their value exceptionally well…etc.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Yes. I bought my Nomad a few years ago and still love it.

I had a Canyon Strive and was perfectly happy with it until I made the costly mistake of demoing a Nomad. It was just better in every way. Climbed better, descended far better and after buying one I proceded to PB all my local trails I had been riding for years.

I have had 2 sets of bearings free from Santa Cruz (just showed my receipt) so some savings there.

Just ride one and see 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and they have the added bonus that people will sneer at you on the trail too 😉

johnw1984
    Free Member

I don’t think they’re a million miles away from similar bikes these days (pricing).

I got my Hightower with a decent spec for around the same price I’d pay for a similar Specialized, Trek etc.

I’ve got it up for sale now as I wanted something lighter, but I keep looking at it sitting in my front room and I’m having second thoughts…. Just don’t tell my missus 🙂

Still one of the best all round bikes I’ve ridden.  If I’d have stuck to my original plan and bought a Tallboy, that would have been perfect!

jonnyboi

It’s all relative, they are definitely overpriced. But probably less so than a specialized, for example

wallop

It was the first bike to really put a smile on my face on the first turn of  the pedal.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’d wanted one for a good few years, got a good deal on a 5010 frame 130mm travel front and back and it’s been great, not found any shortcomings yet, compared to my 2 canyons they are a country mile better in every way,

i managed to get a chameleon mk7 frame earlier this year ended up costing me £550 for the frame, crankset stem and headset, wheels, tyres and a rear they axle .. paid under £1200 for a D spec and sold off the bits I didn’t want..  santa Cruz can be very affordable if you shop around.. I ride it like a big kids bmx

Check out the Spanish authorised dealer on eBay

£2,500 for a carbon tallboy, still the latest model, although I expect they’ll be an update next season

tomhoward

I demoed a v1 Solo (as it was pre IP battle…) and declared that every other manufacturer should stop trying, as it wast perfect.

Bought one and 4 years later it still is the perfect trail bike. I’ll be buried with it I reckon

darrenspink
    Free Member

Frame material and finish is up there with the best but the ride and components can be found on many a bike that costs a lot less.

chris36860
    Free Member

I’m on my 5th one when it arrives.  Yes they are expensive, but no more than the equivalent Yeti, intense, evil etc.  Build quality is second to none along with the paint finish.  Free bearings for life and a fantastic crash replacement programme.  I have just sold my Bronson v2 frame which was perfect until I demoed the V3 and fell in love with it. I’ve had plenty of other make and for me, nothing comes close.  I think they have priced their bikes very well with a Alu frame at £1800 including a life time warranty.

macdubh

Took the plunge last year and got a Hightower. Best bike I have ever owned, period. Not had to try the customer service yet but they talk a good game with lifetime bearings chat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I test rode the blur and nomad over a yes ago. On paper, I like the brand, the back up and support are great. I preferred the colours on the Juliana though.

However, technical climbing just didn’t do it for me. The positive response under power, the surge if speed when peddling that others talk about just felt like the suspension extending and hooking up behind square edges to me.

Ended up on a DW bike rather than a VPP that felt more active and supple, more of the time.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Ended up on a DW bike rather than a VPP that felt more active and supple, more of the time

Pretty much the same experience as a mate who races Enduro and the odd DH race. You either get on with the sus action or you don’t, my mate didn’t and despite being offered a frame at cost (shop sponsor deal) he opted to go elsewhere at full whack. Not saying they aren’t good bikes, but they don’t suit everyone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I demoed a v1 Solo (as it was pre IP battle…)

Battle being an overstatement 😉 Mate of mine who was a rocky and SC dealer at the time was smug to have an original Rocky Solo and a SC Solo in at the same time 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Are they that much more expensive than any other top end carbon frame? An sworks enduro costs around 3k, an obrra rallon not much less. Granted the direct sales german bikes are far cheaper, but on the flip side check out the cost of a yeti

Is it worth it, if you can afford it then why not although I reckon the difference between a top end carbon bike and a alu vitus is probably far less noticeable than one would admit.

I’ve owned one santa cruz, a 2012 heckler and it was a bit meh, but I assume things are a bit better now. I also own a 3k yeti frame. It’s nice but not vastly better than bikes iv e ridden at half the price

The way some people go on about suspension tune, ride quality etc on here you’d think stw is full of top riders.. I suspect that most are like me, bimblets who like to justify the costs of their ridiculously expensive bikes but in a blind test could not really tell the difference other than in the geometry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve owned one santa cruz, a 2012 heckler and it was a bit meh, but I assume things are a bit better now

Still not sure why they did a single pivot, vpp is so very different.and better.

The way some people go on about suspension tune, ride quality etc on here you’d think stw is full of top riders.

I went from my heckler to a blur lt the difference was incredible at the time, it was obvious and easy to spot, only downside was learning to jump properly as single pivot pop helped you out of bad technique

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends what you like. These days Intense are significantly better value on paper due to the price shifts since they went direct and the official SC builds having stayed stodgy, sh*t and boring  but pricey). SC are a real proposition in frame only form but not as full build at list IMO.

As always, riding is needed and frame dynamics vs everything else is what is important.  SC have shown they stand behind their product in exemplary fashion.  You’d be pushed to find another mfr with the commitment to quality from that POV.

If you don’t like VPP bikes then almost any FS SC would be a very poor buy but if you do it becomes a matter of how much money for what…

Painey
    Free Member

I don’t own a Santa Cruz but several of the people I ride with do and they’ve had mixed experiences with them. I demo’d one once and yeah it felt great, but my friends experiences with their customer service and build quality doesn’t do them any favours.

One guy had cracked the rear triangle on his tallboy lt. He wasn’t the first owner of it so they wouldn’t replace that part of the frame. He wasn’t expecting them too for free but they wouldn’t even sell him one and wouldn’t give a reason as to why. I get that they don’t have to, but they could have been a lot more helpful.

Another friend has a 2018 tallboy that’s made loud creaking noises ever since he got it a year ago. Been back to the shop several times for various rebuilds and he’s going to get a new frame now, albeit in a totally different colour which will look out of place wth things like wheel/fork decals. Minor things but they matter to some. And if you’re spending £6k on a bike that gives you a years worth of trouble, you could perhaps expect them to do a bit better.

I’m not saying either of the above would ever put me off owning one as there’s a lot to like. But ownership to some I know has been a very mixed bag, just as it could be with any other make so perhaps doesn’t justify the price premium.

vincienup
    Free Member

That’s just it though these days isn’t it?  Is a £6k SC still ‘expensive’?  Obviously 6k is never cheap, it’s a big chunk of cash but it’s a much more common bike price than it used to be.  I had a bit of a thought experiment the other day and took a bunch of bikes from 2011 that I thought were bloody expensive at 2.5-3k then and they’re (or their equivalents) mostly in the £4.5k+ bracket now, some significantly so and others like Intense with relatively recent big drops.

There’s a reason SC don’t sell the non CC carbon frames as frame only I reckon…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

The only negative of sc for me is they are common as muck at some events like ardrock, and sometimes it’s nice to be different from the crowd, I did have a young teenager shout ‘nice bike mate’ as he stood with his mates outside the local Lidl, worth it for that alone..

as with any premium brand some people get besotted, but you have to occasionally look elsewhere and not get sucked in. Marketing hype of a new model with a 2 degree different head angle and geo will not make me jump onto the newer models as a good bike is still a good bike, although maybe not the latest model

doubledunter
    Free Member

One guy had cracked the rear triangle on his tallboy lt. He wasn’t the first owner of it so they wouldn’t replace that part of the frame. He wasn’t expecting them too for free but they wouldn’t even sell him one and wouldn’t give a reason as to why. I get that they don’t have to, but they could have been a lot more helpful.

Snapped my rear triangle on my old V1 Nomad few years ago, I wasnt the original owner but Jungle couldnt have been much more helpful , eventually I decided it wasnt worth replacing, I bought the frame on  fleebay for £300 or something 18 month earlier.

Owned a V1 Bronson for 3 years, after 6 months I emailed Jungle asking for new bearings, explaining I didnt really need them at the moment, just wanted to have them handy, 3 days later they dropped through the door.

Currently have a Hightower Lt, absolutely love it, cant see me changing brands anytime soon tbh.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They’re no better or worse than similar bikes and you certainly don’t have to spend SC prices to get a bike as good or even better. I test rode a hightower a couple of years ago… it was a very very very good bike. No doubt about it. But I also rode my mates brand new Flare Max. Not much in it on weight and the Flare Max rode every bit as well. The high tower was a slight better climber, but I preferred and was faster on the Flare downhill. Both very equivalent bikes but the Flare Max was half the price.

if you have the dosh and want one because you like the brand then that is as good a reason to get one than any.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My mate has a Nomad and loves it, also after shopping around managed to get a good deal.

singlespeedstu

I don’t currently own one for the first time in a very long time. (Mrsstu still has a Tallboy LTc)

Started with an original Heckler way back and had most of the different models of trail bike through the years up until selling my Hightower a couple of months ago.

The MK1 Nomad was proper ugly though.

I really don’t think they are expensive when you look at the price of some other stuff out there.

Always found them brilliant to ride, easy to work on, well thought out and fantastic customer service.

Stiff/Jungle even refunded me for a bearing axle kit I bought from a shop that they said should have been a warranty claim.

Top service.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A very, very small point, but a threaded BB after a few bikes with PF is a simple pleasure.

I’ve had the Bronson for 20 month now, it’s incredibly good, the one thing I was blown away by was the acceleration. Compared to both the Capra and Spectral 29 it replaced, it’s a flying machine. Way more composed and so quicker descending than the Capra, quicker and comfier on all day pedals than the 29er ever was.

She’s a keeper.

lowey

Had a Bronson 1 and Bronson 2.

The first one was brilliant. The best bike I had ever been on and felt instantly “right” on both ups and downs. Superb customer service, free bearings and when I cracked it, great back up in arranging a crash replacement.

V2 I just never gelled with. Probably more do to with my ineptitude trying to set it up right rather than the bike.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get another SC if I needed another bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i kinda want one, they are lovely. but they are for non shredding dentists who can’t manual aren’t they?  joking*

*not joking

tomhoward

You been hanging out on pinkbike again?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Despite being a fair lump of cash, they are without doubt the most popular brand amongst the local MTBers. This bothers some people, apparently… 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@tomhoward yes but only selling my wares via buysell/lifestyle/other/jizz

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

On the scheme of things, they aren’t really *that expensive anymore, lots of other bands playing in the same price space, if your going frame only.

Ive heard only good things about CS that’s a plus for them for me, and the std BB is another.

However, they seem to me to be pretty middle of the road with their geo’s…

So for that reason alone, I don’t think I would pick anything from their range just now, if they came out with a nomad 29er with geo similar to the new rocket max LS then id seriously consider it….

Im looking forward to demoing the new rocket, but have some scepticism about the single pivot steel option. coming from a carbon DW link super bike 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However, they seem to me to be pretty middle of the road with their geo’s…

It’s always interesting on the geo front, if it’s a good bike do the numbers make that different?

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 03 Heckler is probably my fave bike ever (long gone tho)

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Ben on his HT LT pretty much sums it up for me….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

in a nine minute video 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Im looking forward to demoing the new rocket, but have some scepticism about the single pivot steel option. coming from a carbon DW link super bike

I suspect you’re not totally serious, but if you are I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised.

re. SC – I agree they no longer stick out so much in terms of pricing and they appear to be better than most for finish and customer service – I’d have one over an Intense, Pivot, Yeti or other “high end” rivals.

When Spesh and Trek come in at the same price as SC, I’d certainly favour SC too… if I was minted and the geometry was what I wanted.

But it’s not, as commented above they’re a bit too conservative for what I’m after – a progressive but not totally radical geometry.

And even if I did want a more “normal” bike, it might be hard to see past YT.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz – Are they really that good?’ is closed to new replies.