Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Sandwell Valley New Trail… Open Yet?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve heard and seen a few things on here, I’ve seen the pump track is open is the Trail open yet? Want to go over when I can ride both.

nickdavies
    Free Member

I think so, i’m going to ride up for a peek tomorrow.
    My understanding is it’s open to ride but officially opens later in the month – search on here for the facebook page.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Officially opens 23rd June, though it is sign posted now and plenty of people have already ridden it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Hopefully head up there tomorrow for a nosey ….. If you see a fat bloke on a blue On one Single speed, come say hi 🙂 ….
    Was going to take the car up there but think i`ll have a leisurely spin along the canal to get there :)…. its all miles …
    How longs the finished trail ??

shindiggy
    Free Member

I will be up there, so look for a skinny whippet who should be faster than he is on a c456.

3km

smudge
    Free Member

popped up this afternoon… pleasantly surprised how they could put so much into a tiny place… bearing in mind no real height around SV… to be honest loved it.. recovering from a calf tear (physio check up in morning) and going to be my recovery place for sure.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Looking forward to going down there when it’s properly open. There was an idea for a STW group night ride, anybody fancy it?

nwill1
    Free Member

Is it open from early? Might be tempted to pop over but I’m only free till 10.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Group ride still sounds fun 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

Deffo, along with a big STW pumptrack sess.

somouk
    Free Member

I had a quick ride through the Valley tonight but didn’t stop to take a look. I’ll have to see if I can get down there early next week!

shindiggy
    Free Member

nwill, it’s open 24/7

I_Ache
    Free Member

Shindiggy is it open properly now?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Andy, I’ll be up for a midlands baded STW ride.

Will be nice to ride a new spot.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have just got back from there and have to congratulate shindiggy and all involved, its great for the area and cycling in general,it was quite busy up there today including 2 chavs with the tesco full suspension bikes and full face helmets checking out the line down the black routes biggest drop !! … I just rode past them and straight down it on my rigid single speed !! …. they were still there on my second lap as well 🙂 ….
    There were quite a few familys on it as well, some with very young kids ?
    anyways .. well done to all involved

nwill1
    Free Member

Looks fun. Shindiggy – cheers, it’s just that I’ll be driving over and didn’t know if the car park had restrictions. I rode local this morning Kinver as I was unsure. I’ll get myself over very soon for what looks like some flat out fun.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Be careful as the car park has height restriction barriers !! .. dont want people getting there pride and joys damaged before the ride … nice having dust on the bike instead of the usual mud 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

That looks like a fun little blast on a hardtail. I definitely want to get over there to ride it. It’s just over riding distance to get there, though. 🙁

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ getonyourbike …its a 11 mile spin along the canal for me each way .. and i mean spin … on my SS … all ridable on rigid and single speed .. well worth the ride over 😀

fungusfinger
    Free Member

My local,seems ok considering,gonna be a nice extension to my midweek spin.

naffa
    Free Member

Rode there on Thursday evening but I thought on a 29’er I was over biked. The surface was loose so will get better with time and use. They’ve packed plenty in and dont let the black sections worry you, they’re quite easy.

Scamper
    Free Member

Is that a black drop in the pic above?

Sounds good, can’t wait to get over.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ scamper .. yeah thats the black drop in pic .. its steeper than the pic shows … still ridable 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Scamper
    Free Member

I’m sure it is, just thinking of the Wife. I’m fine on my 6 inch full susser, Cannock stylee 😀

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ scamper , theres a blue run around that drop as well so no worries with the wifey 😀

GolfChick
    Free Member

ill have to head over soon as well, spin around a few times, nice to have something else to ride nearby as well!

smudge
    Free Member

scamper, no problem for your wife… i’d say a great place to practise your skills and build your confidence on…and short enough to go round to go round again and again to make practise perfect and better… plus you can park right by it and not be miles away.. thats a brilliant bit. no camelback required 🙂

longj
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=rpg_8T8oNNk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Drpg_8T8oNNk%26feature%3Dyoutu.be[/video]

There’s some go pro footage of someone pootling round.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It really is a pootle, isn’t it? 😯

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’ve just seen on Facebook that the trails are due to open on the 23rd. Who is up for an opening week night ride? Maybe on Thursday the 27th at say 7:45?

dibboid
    Free Member

Work permitting I might be interested. But that time of the evening around there. … I’m guessing there might be a different kind of pumping going on! 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m in. Looks like good fun.

marty27
    Free Member

Went over last night and only came across 1 Chav on a boardman in a baseball cap and a couple attempting to take dodgy pics of each other (fortunately I scared them off the trail by blasting past). I agree it is well designed from such a small envelope, but its less than 7mins round (sticking to red and black graded sections only) so needs to be looped at least 3 times to make it worthwhile. The “black” sections would barely make the red grade at most trail centres, but I guess it is designed for families and young riders. Just don’t be put off riding the black bits if you can manage the Dog or Monkey at Cannock, or any Welsh centres. There are a couple of brief but flowing sections and 3 well spaced table tops at the end of the run which can be nicely jumped, and can be sessioned by turning left out of the exit and looping back up the climb. I didn’t see a pump track, but didn’t do a great deal of searching. Being on a forest trail and hearing the constant sound of the M5/M6 interchange is a rather bizarre experience too! Still it certainly beats going to the gym.

Be warned that you need to remove your bike from a roof mounted rack if you want to get through to the car park!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

nwill1 and I are going tomorrow morning, but quite early so hopefully it should be dead quiet. I’m looking forward to it. I’m expecting the full lap to be a hotly contested segment on Strava before long if it’s only a 7 minutes to get round.

nwill1
    Free Member

You got Strava Pete? We could set the lap time!!!!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Yeh, I’m on Strava but I’ll be on the full sus with draggy tyres so I don’t stand a chance. I’ll give it a go, though.

I’ll have to go back on the hardtail with some fast tyres to have a proper go at it.

shindiggy
    Free Member

The pump track is the other side of the M5 in Dartmouth park side and is a paid for facility.

nwill1
    Free Member

You’ll still be quicker than me on my HT with fast tyres….but that’s only thanks to fitness not skillz ! I’ wanna try the pump track out too!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

nwill1 – Member
    You’ll still be quicker than me on my HT with fast tyres….but that’s only thanks to fitness not skillz !

Whatever you say. 😉

I’m up for the pumptrack as well. We’ll see how the bouncy bike does on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Sandwell Valley New Trail… Open Yet?’ is closed to new replies.