Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sandwell Valley MTB for the little'uns?
  • v8ninety

I’ve heard good stuff about Sandwell valley MTB track, in that it’s fun but very short. With that in mind, would it be a good place to introduce my reasonably skilled 4 and 5 year olds to the joys of a bit of proper single track? Or would we a) get in the way of the gnarrcore, and b) be asking a bit much of little legs? This is a video I’ve uploaded to give an idea of their level of ability; apologies for the dickhead ‘holding my phone vertically’ thing; it hadn’t occurred to me that I’d be sharing the video. (No excuse I know) [video]http://youtu.be/G4UEvv2RvQ0[/video]

shindiggy
    Free Member

Hi,

I helped build the trails over Sandwell Country Park so hopefully I can help with your question.

My Daughters aged 4 & 7 both ride around the trails blue lines with the older child riding a few of the selected red options. So depending on your children’s ability and confidence levels should fine something they can ride.

It’s never too busy around there so you should be fine, though some of the hills are actually quite hard for little legs and little wheels so be prepared for a lot of pushing.

If that fails, there is plenty of other quieter trails around the valley that i’m sure they will enjoy.

Edit, There is also a pump track similar to the above video in Dartmouth park which you can cycle over to from the MTB trails.

v8ninety

Coolio, thanks for the reply. Where’s best to park for the trails? Coming from about 30miles away. I’ve been to the play area (and seen the pump track, looks fun) before but I’ve no clear idea where the MTB bits are…

somouk
    Free Member

Sandwell is great for smaller kids, the route is only 2 miles long and it’s easy enough to get around.

It can be busy of a weekend and especially bank holidays.

As mentioned there are plenty of other trails around and if you take a ride up over the motorway bridges to the other side there are quite a few activities and normally a burger van/ice cream van to have a bit of a break at on the benches by the tennis courts.

Just don’t leave a bike unattended for a second or it will go missing!

Edit… Trails have their own parking next to swan pool, as you come up the newton road from the motorway (M6, J7) take a left at the traffic lights and turn down Forge Lane. The car park will be on your right after about a mile.

At the sailing club here: https://goo.gl/maps/gW5Jo3sWtnP2

v8ninety

Brilliant, thanks! Re bike security, is it really that dodgy an area?

somouk
    Free Member

The area is lovely the people in it quite often are not.

You won’t get bothered by people but don’t leave anything lying around.

v8ninety

Roger that… 😯

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sandwell Valley MTB for the little'uns?’ is closed to new replies.