Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sanding a carbon frame to check for a crack?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just bought a second hand frame and on inspection it’s got a Tiny ‘crack’ at top of head tube. Pretty sure it’s just a crack in clear coat but I can confirm that by removing about a cm sq of paint.

What’s the best way to do this, I’m assuming very fine grit sand paper to take off the clear coat/ paint? Then what? Do I need to repaint to protect?

Ta

damascus
    Free Member

What if it is or inst a crack? Will you be able to return the frame after you have ruined the paint?

ajantom

If eBay, I’d just ask for a return and refund.
    If you take the paint off you won’t be able to return it.
    If it’s a private sale I’d ask the seller’s opinion, though they’re likely to just deny it, caveat emptor and so on.

desperatebicycle

fine grit sand paper to take off the clear coat/ paint? Then what? Do I need to repaint to protect?

I had an old road frame that I stopped riding because of a crack – got curious at how bad the crack was, so took a random piece of sandpaper too it. It sanded down to the reveal the damage very easily.
    There’s nothing to protect if there’s no crack. Just plonk a sticker over it 🙂

endoverend

I did this recently on a carbon frame that I thought had a crack – did it most neatly by scraping the laquer/paint with a scalpel blade on a tiny area only a few mm’s wide, whereas sandpaper will leave a larger area of damage. An Led strip and good magnifying glass also useful to inspect what’s going on. Luckily for me it was just a crack in the paint layer in an area of flex, worth doing for peace of mind and just left it as a tiny battle scar.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sanding a carbon frame to check for a crack?’ is closed to new replies.