Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Sanderson Life – Anyone have a view
  • Deevass
    Free Member

Almost at the end of my search for a hardtail. Anyone have a Sanderson Life frame, thoughts on the ride, weight, feel.. and of course pics are always good :o)

bol

Loved mine. Nicked sadly. Nicely built frame, understated and a bit different. Light for steel although not especially light for a 100mm 853 frame I guess. It was only a somewhat ill-judged urge for more travel that stopped me replacing mine with the same again.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Have played on one quite a bit, it’s a wonderful bike. Long and fast.

Speak to The Bike Chain, they’re very nice and have them in stock.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I love my Soloist. Great solid frame, fast and built very well.
    I’m about to buy a Blitz to complement the Soloist.

Deevass
    Free Member

bol, unlucky there, bloody thieves!! I find myself drawn to it, will run with 120mm forks and a 70mm stem. Have to say there’s also that part of me that likes the rare factor too!!

bol

I’m not sure it would be at it’s best with a long fork and short stem. Other people will have a better idea than me though. I ran it with 100s and a 90mm stem IIRC.

trailertrash

I bought one recently from The Bike Chain after riding a range of ultimately quite high-end full sussers for five years. I love it! I don’t know that these characteristics are confined to the Life as much as applying to modern steel (853?) hardtails in general, but I find it amazingly competent and fast on all but the most challenging terrain. I am 5’11” and run my medium with a 120mm Reba and a 70mm stem, double ad bash. I wouldn’t want to go any shorter but it does make it nimble. Riding it with flats (also a first in….ever) I find I am tackling harder obstacles, sessioning tricky sections and staying on the bike longer ,fighting it out, in hard bits rather than bailing out. These are of course due to the pedals not the bike, but well, yeah you get the picture.

Nice understated bike too, I agree with whoever said that.

Having a ball with it 😀

Pic here:

trailertrash

ok no pic here. is flickr banned?

ken_shields
    Free Member

Long top tube, rides nice, finish is great

Here’s mine (sold to fund a Ti hardtail)

trailertrash

Let;s try that again

Here

StirlingCrispin

Oh yes!
    Had mine for a year now – love it!
    Came across from a broken Ti-frame but would never go back. I’ve barely ridden my other bike (a SantaCruz Superlight) and swapped my ss from an Inbred to the Soloist (just about to head out on that). The build quality on the Life was the best I’ve ever seen – immaculate.

I’m happy to tackle anything on it in a jeycore kinda way. It’s a bike for the rider that wants to work his way through obstacles. I’m 6ft1 and on the 18″ frame – maybe I’d go for a 20″ next time (which is the size of my Soloist).
    It weighs 4.6lbs – not light and the build is heavier than my Superlight. Not aware of this when riding it only when it’s on my shoulder being hoiked up hills.
    Buy one – you’ll not regret it.

Life

Soloist

trailertrash

aw man how do you get flickr pictures to embed?

ojom
    Free Member

I need to learn not to slouch.

trailertrash

It was a relaxed afternoon, don’t worry about it 😀

hurray, at frikkin last. mine looks the best get on!! 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

if the geo is anything like the soloist then its spot on i run it with 120mm recons and a 60mm stem on a 16″ im about 5’8,looking at geting a life aswell as the frames are great build quality and ride lovley

ojom
    Free Member

My mother would kill me.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

That, right there, is the poor postured, grumpy looking charmer you should buy your Sanderson off. He’s a superstar really and will look after you real good.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Well, my Breath is my commuter and I ruddy well love it.
    Get one, can’t imagine that you could possibly regret it…

boxelder

Mine’s hung on the garage wall as a frame only at the moment, as I robbed the bits to build up a scandal 29er. I’m thinking now of robbing the bits off the full sus bike to build up the Life again. It’s the best riding and best finished steel frame I’ve had (inc Spesh, Marin, Kona x2 and Orange x2). I like the long TT and the short steep head tube means I was running 90-130mm Revs and a 90mm stem. fast, nimble and very confident descending.

Deevass
    Free Member

Thanks guys, you’ve helped me make a difficult decision and damn sight easier!!

ken_shields
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t realise we were doing Soloist’s as well 😉

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

My Soloist when I first got i. Now has XT drivetrain, XT/Mavic wheels and carbon bars/post.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got one, paid £200 s/h off here then never built it! It’s sat on my wall for nearly 2 years now!

Almost got enough bits though now, so not long…………

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

had mine a few years now – used it for everything from a 12 hour solo to tour of Cuba. Love it. Handles well, looks good and the finish is superb. Well thought out geometry etc. Perfect for British trails (plenty of mud clearance, full cables etc.)
    Run mine with 100mm Rebas and a 90mm stem with Mary bars at the minute but have run it with longer forks and both flat bar and bar ends and riser bar – in my experience it loses a bit if you go above 120mm of travel. I’ve been riding mountain bikes, predominantly steel hardtails for over 20 years now andI can honestly say its the best off road ride I’ve ever been on.

ojom
    Free Member

If you fancy one, you can use the STWTBC voucher code on our site.

We have a small range of sizes and colours in just now.

Give me a buzz on 0131 557 2801 or skype chat thebikechain for a blether if any info is required.

roper
    Free Member

I love my breath.
    It is great for climbing and all day riding. Not a hardcore bike but definitely a fun well-balanced bike. I can’t see it will ever be on the classifieds.

trickydisco
    Free Member

What size would you recommend for 5’9″ with 32″ inside leg?

I’m thinking 16 rather than 18

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Had a look at these in The Bike Chain yesterday and they are very nicely finished frames. Look like posh Inbreds with similar geometry and sizing (from what I can tell). Very tempted myself to replace my tatty Inbred.

rp16v
    Free Member

sound about my size and the 16 is spot on

t/d u

trickydisco
    Free Member

It’s difficult because I ride an 18″ voodoo sobo with a 100mm stem and this has as 23″ Effective top tube and it feels right.

The 18″ sanderson has a 22.5″ top tube length

anyone know what the Effective top tube length is?

StirlingCrispin

Effective top tube length is the horizontal distance from the top tube/head tube junction to the seat tube.

Be aware that the Soloist has a shorter top tube/ EFF/ reach /whatever etc than the Life.

Deevass
    Free Member

Hey thebikechain, thanks for the code. 18″ grey Sanderson Life ordered 5 mins ago, looking forward to building her up :o)

takisawa2

I like the look of the Life with blue decals.
    And some blue anosised bits.
    Mmmm…

roper
    Free Member

trickydisco

I’m about your hight and ride an 18″.
    It depends of the type of riding you prefer and what you are used too. I tend to ride for quite a few hours X country, well over mountains. I am better up hill to down. I think an 18 is perfect for that.
    If I was into jumps and flipping the bike round more maybe a 16, though I think it would be a little too small for me.

Deevass Congrats Make sure you post some pics 🙂

Deevass
    Free Member

Cheers roper, I have a kitchen full of bike parts ready for a frame, roll on the build :oD

bertberr
    Free Member

I’ve just got myself a Breath frame, same design/geometry as the Life, have to say I’m really impressed with the quality of finish, welds etc – looks a much more expensive frame than it is IMO.

Planning to go 100mm forks with a 70mm stem, frame is a 16″. Looking forward to getting it finished.

mudpup
    Free Member

Just to buck the trend – i had one (a Life) about 4 years ago and hated it. Too long, low at the front and steered like a barge.
    Tried it with 100mm and 130mm Rockshocks and a hi rise Thompson stem but still felt too low and not at all nippy.
    Real shame because the finish and looks were great – i really wanted to like it.
    Sold it.
    Bought a Whyte 19.
    THATS the best frame i’ve ever owned.

Deevass
    Free Member

Quick build question, do any of you guys know what the max brake disc rotor size the Sanderson Life will take? It doesn’t look like it will take 200mm, I’m thinking 180mm.

mudpup
    Free Member

I had a 180 on the back and it was damned tight.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Sanderson Life – Anyone have a view’ is closed to new replies.