Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • San Marino. Anyone been down it since it stopped raining?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Is it rideable, or is it just a series of holes joined together with boulders the size of domestic appliances?

cuyahoga
    Free Member

It was perfectly fine t’other weekend, so long as you avoided the foot deep ruts about halfway down…

jonnym92

Done it a fair few times this winter, last was when it was raining heavily at the start of March. Was good fun. Some big ruts but plan ahead and you’ll be reet.

Also there’s a fair sized hole on the final section, the bit after the corner, so watch out for that it could swallow a wheel pretty easily, keep right I think..

lowey

Went down it last night. Just keep your eyes forward as there are some pretty deep ruts (2′) mid way and in the lower section. Lot of potential to get it badly wrong.

D0NK

yeah it’s not so much a brains out, brakes off, full speed fun fest it used to be. Pity.

RustySpanner

Which one IS San Marino, just out of interest?

Harry_the_Spider

The mast down to the San Marino on Belmont Road.

binners

Here’s some footage from a summer night ride a few years back. I know its a hell of a lot more rutted than when this was filmed

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEqItT8-7s[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

I was talking to someone about this the other day, when I moved up here about four years ago I remember I used to pedal all the way down – and could just about ride all the way back up.

Very rarely bother with it anymore.

🙁

johnw1984
    Free Member

That thing is different every time I go down it…

Definitely need to concentrate at speed!

simondbarnes

Thought about going down there on my cross bike last night, sounds like it’s not worth it though. The ICR is no fun for someone with my limited skills now either.

duncancallum

its rideable but not where as good as it once was.

the Ruts are big…

I don’t bother with it much

dingleberry
    Free Member

I haven’t been down in probably about a year, but even then it was mostly just massive wheel swallowing ruts around the middle. It’s a good challenge going up though!

RustySpanner

Ah, that one!
    🙂

jonba
    Free Member

yeah it’s not so much a brains out, brakes off, full speed fun fest it used to be. Pity

I was back there last weekend after a 15+ year gap. I thought it was great as it is now. Like some of the popular descents in the lakes. I’m glad you said it got slower though as that explains why I was quite so far off the leader board.

Some top quality riding around there. Going to have to find more excuses to go.

Harry_the_Spider

We’re going on Monday night. Check out the MNPR thread.

grannyjone
    Free Member

To me its not a fast descent anymore, more of a techy one, due to the very deep ruts.

Those 3 stupid gates are still there.

As for riding San Marino in the Uphill direction – it’s hard. Impossible even, for me to clear it now. There are a few sections where there are unavoidable ruts, making it impossible to avoid a pedal strike. Does anyone know anyone to clear San Marino as an ascent ? (Apart from the 3 Gates – I don’t expect anyone to clear those!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘San Marino. Anyone been down it since it stopped raining?’ is closed to new replies.