Samsung S3 – rooting and installing custom rom?

Home Forum Chat Forum Samsung S3 – rooting and installing custom rom?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Samsung S3 – rooting and installing custom rom?
  • _tom_

Thinking I may finally get round to doing this to my phone tonight and was wondering what the current best method for doing it is, and what rom to go with? A link to an easy to follow guide would be useful!

I generally get on fine with the standard Samsung interface but it can sometimes get bogged down and slow even for basic stuff. I think I really just want a streamline version without all the bloatware. I generally just use the phone for calls, texts, facebook/instagram etc, internet (using dolphin browser), music and video (mx player). Cyanogenmod looks nice!

thepodge

Did you get round to this?

been thinking of doing it to my Xperia v but found that you can’t get Google play on cyanogenmod which makes installing apps very difficult

bob_summers

No experience of Xperias but surely Google Play is in the Gapps zip you flash. I’veused CM10 and 11 on a Nexus aand no probs with any of the gapps.

No experience of Xperias but surely Google Play is in the Gapps zip you flash. I’veused CM10 and 11 on a Nexus aand no probs with any of the gapps.

This.

I’ve used CM10 but currently I run Paranoid Android 3 on my Galaxy Note. It’s clean and I like it.

Here’s how I did it (usual disclaimers apply):

1. Find the ROM you want to install and put it on an external SD card.
    2. Back up everything
    3. Install ClockworkMod recovery
    4. Boot your phone into Recovery mode.
    5. Point your phone at the ROM on the SD card and boot it up.

thepodge

It’s not something I’ve done before, just listened to the advice of a friend that had.

maybe I’ll try paranoid android instead as that also seems to have favorable reviews running on my phone.

I’m just after something ultra lightweight that is stable as the Xperia v has hdmi out and I think I could run it as a media server & mapping tool instead of my main phone

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

cyanogen mod is great. have used it on my desire s phone and also on my samsung galaxy tab 2.

theflatboy

Another very satisfied Cyanogen user here. Currently with S3 on CM 10.2. Definitely recommended.

bawbag

There should be a guide in here somewhere: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3

chrssmale

CyanogenMod here too. Gapps will install the play store and several other essential apps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Samsung S3 – rooting and installing custom rom?’ is closed to new replies.