Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Samsung guarantee
  • jonesyboy

TV power supply has died, 4 years after purchase from Curry’s with a 5 year manufacturer’s guarantee. Curry’s have said to take it up with Samsung, who want me to take the TV to Martin Dawes in Northwich, 1.5hrs away or £40 postage.

Is this right or should I just be taking it back to the retailer?

stumpyjon

I would have thought at 4 years the retailers responsibility has ended legally. The warranty is something Samsung have offered above your statutory rights.

Drac

Yes that’s right it is now under the manufacture.

zilog6128

You state twice that the guarantee is with Samsung, not Curry’s, so no, that particular guarantee is nothing to do with the retailer! Whether the charge is right depends on the wording. Only Richer Sounds & JL do 5 year retailer guarantees AFAIK.

(Although legally under the SOGA you are covered up to 6 years for a manufacturing fault, and that WOULD be with the retailer… you will have a fight on your hands though unless it’s a well-known common fault… I would personally take the easy route offered 😀)

molgrips
    Free Member

If a manufacturer offers a guarantee I’d have thought the retailer would be used as an agency for this, but maybe that’s due to the agreement between Samsung and Currys, doesn’t sound like they have one.

jonesyboy

Thanks guys, wasn’t sure if manufacturers warranty goes through retailer normally, I guess not in this case. A day out in Northwich it is!

cinnamon_girl

Samsung are hell to deal with, their “customer service” is unhelpful Filipino bots with rubbish English who will do nothing to help you.

tthew

A day out in Northwich it is!

The Anderton Boat Lift is well worth a visit, or Marston Salt Works. If you have time to kill, both are accessible from the canal by walking from the car park opposite Matalan through Carey and Anderton parks. There’s not a lot in the way of visitor attractions in the town centre!

Cougar

legally under the SOGA you are covered up to 6 years

SoGA hasn’t existed for years. Under the CRA you have up to six years to make a claim, but that doesn’t mean you’re necessarily covered for that long.

As @stumpyjon says, a manufacturer’s warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. In this instance it’d be a lot easier just to take them up on it rather than start a fight (you’ll probably lose) under CRA. A 1.5h drive is a bit crap, but if they’re offering a warranty then they can set its terms, there’s no legal obligation on them here (other than sticking to their own terms).

zilog6128

SoGA hasn’t existed for years. Under the CRA you have up to six years to make a claim, but that doesn’t mean you’re necessarily covered for that long.

to be accurate, it hasn’t existed for four years. Since OP mentions his telly is 4 years old, unless it’s less than 4 years, 10 days it will be covered under SOGA as that was the legislation in place when he bought it.

cinnamon_girl

21 months old Samsung soundbar, here’s the original thread. Top tip – be persistent.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rantette-broken-soundbar-and-sale-of-goods-act/

Good luck!

cp

Samsung are hell to deal with, their “customer service” is unhelpful

This! I avoid Samsung now after their many many attempts to wriggle out of a phone warranty and somewhat chaotic approach to it all.

Cougar

to be accurate, it hasn’t existed for four years. Since OP mentions his telly is 4 years old, unless it’s less than 4 years, 10 days it will be covered under SOGA as that was the legislation in place when he bought it.

Ooh, good catch.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

TBH the pleasant Philippino ladies on the Samsing helpline were very helpful dealing with my 5yr Washing Machine warranty issues – although obviously the engineer comes to you for that.

nealglover
    Free Member

Samsung are hell to deal with, their “customer service” is unhelpful Filipino bots with rubbish English who will do nothing to help you.

They were great when our washing machine stopped working after 3 years. Booked an engineer visit within a couple of days and replaced it within a week when the engineer said it was borked. All for no charge. 👍

w00dster

Samsung were terrible with my TV fault a few years back. Won’t touch their technology now. My fault was that the capacitors had blown, according to my research was a well known fault in my model of TV. Samsung initially denied all responsibility and were a nightmare to deal with. Eventually they helped the first time, agreed to pay for the capacitors to be replaced, but they blew again about 6 months later, no help what so ever after that.
    I’d spend hours going around in circles with the call centre staff. Must have spent about 50% of the time with a TV with a big splodge of colour in the corner.(1.5 years out of the 3 years we put up with it)
    That was a ridiculously expensive TV as well. After reading about how common the fault was and how Samsung still made the TVs knowing the fault was there, I’d never buy from them again.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Samsung guarantee’ is closed to new replies.