Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Samsung Galaxy S2 c iPhone 5?
  • ahsat

I have an iPhone 3Gs and I am due to renew my contract soon. I love my iPhone, but it is getting a bit tired and tech has moved on. Do I hold out for the new iPhone (5?), potentially with a post September release date, or do I go for the Galaxy S2 which should be a slightly cheaper contract/phone price etc and I can get soon? Any views on Andriod over iPhone (apart from Flash and those people who just want to kill Steve Jobs!)?

CountZero

Android is fine if you’re obsessed with hacking and jailbreaking an OS in order to use some obscure app that does something a little bit different to what is already available. There’s a fair bit of malware lurking in the android marketplace. iOS 5 which is coming pretty soon, will have a lot of new features integrating things like Instapaper, for example, and a built-in Twitter client. Details of the new iPhone are very sketchy, about the only details are that it’ll use the dual-core chip that the iPad 2 uses, with the top-end backlit 8Mp camera from Sony. Other than that, it’s all rumour; possibly 1Gb RAM, with 64Gb storage, possible an edge-to-edge screen, possibly higher spec battery, but battery tech gets better every year anyway. I’d wait, take it from me, the 4 is a truly stunning piece of kit, especially if you went from a 3 to a 4, as I did; my phone has virtually done away with my laptop, except for backing up stuff and software updates, and iOS5 will even make that unessessary, as all registration and updates will be OTA, and there will be iCloud backup of your photos and your iTunes library, so you’ll have access from anywhere there’s net access or wifi. Forget about Flash, I’ve found hardly any sites where lack of it is a serious issue, where there isn’t an alternative, and even Adobe have seen how things are going, and developed tools to allow Flash content to be easily converted to HTML5. All web content should be viewable via the browser, it should not require a proprietary plug-in from one developer to allow content to be seen. That’s Job’s argument, and he’s absolutely right; Flash is proprietary and web content shouldn’t need that to be accessed. It’s up to you, of course, but if you have a fair number of apps that you use, then stick with it and wait ’till September. I can’t upgrade until next May, so I’ll probably wait until iPhone 6. You could, of course, wait ’till September, and get an iPhone 4 for a much better price, I don’t think you’d be disappointed with it.

allthepies
    Free Member

Android is fine if you’re obsessed with hacking and jailbreaking an OS in order to use some obscure app that does something a little bit different to what is already available.

🙄

I’m no jailbreak dweeb but do have an Android phone. I bought it (Galaxy S) as it was significantly cheaper than an iPhone, offered the same user facilities to me and is actually easier to manage i.e don’t need iTunes to do anything and can just plug it in to a PC and it’s there as a USB drive. Apple kit is cool but I don’t want to pay the price premium for no real added value.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d rather have my iPhone 4 than the GS2, but the iPhone 5 would be a definite, but then I would say that because as soon as the iPhone 5 comes out I’ll be first in the queue. I find Android to be pretty crap compared to iOS tbh.

DickBarton

I think the WhyPhone5 is going to be a contender for the Galaxy S2 so the actual device is probably going to be the same (or very similar). OS…depends what you want…Android has heeps of stuff and IOs5 is likely to offer stuff that has been standard on Android for a while – playing catch-up in some cases but also ahead in others.

Personally, I’d go for the Android phone – mainly for 2 reasons –

1 – it’s likely to be free (but does depends on your contract choice!), whereas the WhyPhone will need to be paid for;
    2 – It isn’t an Apple product – the kit is good but I’m against the marketing that Apple do – I just don’t agree with it or get it, making it sound as though nothing else does what it does…winds me up.

And actually a 3rd reason – the S2 is out now, the WhyPhone not out for a wee bit – so unless your contract ends after the WhyPhone comes out, then you could be in for a wait.

I’m not a fan of Apple consumer goods, but the ‘office-based’ kit they do is very good…

I’m not suggesting Android is holier-than-white-driven-snow and all that, it has it’s drawbacks, but unless you are looking for some real obscure stuff, there is a huge choice and very few offering dodgy stuff (although there are some).

donsimon
    Free Member

The last time I played with the Galaxy S2 I was impressed with the screen. Not really sure if the numbers games with apps is a real or imagined problem. I’d be looking at the S2 over the iPhone myself.

derp
    Free Member

Android is fine if you’re obsessed with hacking and jailbreaking an OS in order to use some obscure app that does something a little bit different to what is already available. There’s a fair bit of malware lurking in the android marketplace.

🙄

I think the WhyPhone5……

🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

derp – exactly! There are tech bigots on both sides 🙂

DickBarton

Each to their own, but as my first reason stated – S2 is likely to be free so why pay? They are going to be so similar it’ll be hard to tell them apart (in terms of what they can do and how they perform)…actually just looking at the spec of the S2 on GSMArena and apparently it has a battery life talktime of 18hrs!!! If so, that is superb!

clubber
    Free Member

used to have a 3gs now have an android HTC desire s. I got the 3gs because at the time there wasn’t a decent alternative. now there is and I wouldn’t swap back. iPhone is/was slicker but Android is plenty good enough and I really like the flexibility of apps, widgets and so on. no need for geeky hacking/rooting though I would say that the technically illiterate are better with an iPhone.

ahsat

I can see the arguements on both sides and the fact likely not needing to pay for the S2 is appealing as it does annoy me a little the costs on the Apple products, but by the vary nature of the brand.

For me, a key functionality is good Microsoft Exchange combatibility as I use mine a lot for work (I am an academic, but even we like tech!). However, both do this well. I have a reasonable number of apps – but I dont really do gaming!

The main annoyance if I dont get the iPhone 5 is that my other half will wait for one and then I will be annoyed if it is better. I am tempted to wait to hear the spec’s and likely costings and then see, but shiny now is also very appealing!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Personally, I’ve actually used iPhone 4 and the new Samsung.

I’d go Samsung any day from those two. It isn’t quite as fancy a physical object (plastic back cover), but it just feels nicer to use. Screen is very nice too. I can’t see the iPhone 5 being massively better – it’ll still run iOS after all.

Android is also nicer to develop for (iphone is a bleeding pain) and has quite a lot more users, personally I think it has alot more momentum behind it in terms of application development – all but one of the mobile developers I know are favouring Android nowadays. Apple have always treated developers like Apple are doing them a favour allowing them to develop for their operating systems, whereas Google seem very pro-developer. More developers means more apps, which in the end is likely to mean better apps and more choice.

I think core feature wise neither are that different nowadays, I mean when the best thing even raging Apple fans like count zero above can talk about is that the next iPhone will support Twitter (like every other phone has for years), it is clear that feature wise there is not much going on.

I imagine the iPhone 5 might have a lot of work done on making it work well as a phone, previous iphones have a terrible reputation for call quality and signal strength, even ignoring the iPhone 4 antenna shambles.

glenh
    Free Member

+1 for pretty much everything joemarshall says.

allthepies
    Free Member

prepare to feel the wrath of the fanbois 😉

derp
    Free Member

The main annoyance if I dont get the iPhone 5 is that my other half will wait for one and then I will be annoyed if it is better. I am tempted to wait to hear the spec’s and likely costings and then see, but shiny now is also very appealing!

Trade the missus in, instead of the phone, then.

Next problem?

ahsat

Trade the missus in, instead of the phone, then.

Interesting idea, apart from in an odd twist…I’m the misses! Lol! p20 is the fella!

Thanks joemarshall – some good thoughts there

derp
    Free Member

A woman? On STW? Well I never! I always thought if was an IT manager sausage-fest 😛

ahsat

What’s more, a woman who likes and rides bikes, owns a Nicolai, loves tech, is a scientist and still does the cooking and cleaning! Who knew such women existed 😛

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve just read countzero’s post fully. it really is very silly. Android isn’t for geeks , just normal people who don’t want/need to pay the premium for Apple.

incidentally, this sort of behaviour makes Android increasingly attractive.

http://www.thedroidguy.com/2011/07/getjar-says-screw-you-apple/

DrJ

Apple have always treated developers like Apple are doing them a favour allowing them to develop for their operating systems, whereas Google seem very pro-developer.

Up until the point where the developers want to get some money for their trouble.

if-you-want-to-make-money-develop-for-apple-platforms-

developer-interest-in-android-and-apple

st

I’m on my second Android phone (both HTC Desires) and really like them. Having one has done away with my Ipod. An IPhone may be perfect for most people but what decided it for me was the cost. I really can’t work out what I’m missing out on with my HTC that would make paying so much money for an IPhone would give me.

I don’t understand about flashing Rom or hacking stuff but I have a phone that makes calls, deals with emails,browses the interweb and plays music.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m sure either will be good. I’ve had an S2 for about a month now and love it. I considered an iphone4 but didn’t want to pay a premium for an out of date phone.

Drac

I have an iPhone the Mrs a Galaxy S, I much prefer my iPhone’s screen and interface over the Galaxy but both are very good phones. I’ll be looking at the 5 as due a new phone in the next couple of months and I prefer the iOS.

I mean when the best thing even raging Apple fans like count zero above can talk about is that the next iPhone will support Twitter (like every other phone has for years)

Yes that’s what he was pushing for his biggest selling point. 🙄

derp
    Free Member

I’ve just read countzero’s post fully

I bow before your levels of endurance.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have an iPhone the Mrs a Galaxy S

S2 has a different screen though I think. It’s also MUCH faster than my previous android phone. TBH this whole comparison thing is a bit pointless since the iphone 5 is an unknown. In a nutshell if you’re that bothered then wait, at least then you’ll be able to decide if the price premium is worth it.

Drac

True Rich but I have a iPhone 3gs but it’s the interface of the iPhone which wins it for me. It’s all personal preference really.

derp
    Free Member

True Rich but I have a iPhone 3gs but it’s the interface of the iPhone which wins it for me. It’s all personal preference really.

NO! It’s a binary choice. You have to pick one side, then defend it to the death!

Get off the fence yer damn hippy!

Now decide….cake or death!

Edit: This post was sponsored by the !. Making sentences impact since 1874.

Drac

Don’t make me decide it’s too much pressure to come up with some bollocks about them to try win my case.

derp
    Free Member

If you don’t decide…well….you might as well use a *swallows back vom*…..a NOKIA!

Drac

Don’t you swear at me.

derp
    Free Member

I didn’t want to go there…..enjoy your symbian software…..muhahahahhaha!

*goes for a lie down*

RichPenny
    Free Member

You could always get a windows phone?

*lashes self with reed bundle*

derp
    Free Member

Why not get a Zune while your at it? 😀

Flaperon

For those who think the Galaxy S 2 is made of dodgy plastic, take a peek at this video:

I got my 1st ‘proper’ smartphone a couple of months back, going from a nokia e71 to a sony xperia arc. Functionality / user interface has been VERY good – easy to pop the battery in and start using straight away. Massive Bravia technology screen, 8mp Exmor camera (very impressive), super fast processor (but not dual core – dual core offers little noticable improvement for the average phone user)etc etc, easily as good a phone as any HTC / Samsung offering. Reason I didn’t go for an iphone? I talked 3 down to £19 per month with a free handset. Apple couldn’t compete with that sort of pricing.

ahsat

Well I went and got the Samsung Glaxay S2 – got more and more annoyed with Apple, my iPhone was dying and I knew the iPhone 5 contract are going to be expensive and it has to be said, I am very very impressed with it. It would take a lot to get me back to an iPhone at the moment.

BoardinBob

Just went from the iPhone 3GS to the Galaxy S2 and I’m very impressed. Far more powerful than the iphone with way more functionality, and despite maintaining the lack of flash wasn’t a problem with the iphone, it’s great to have a full functioning web browser on the Galaxy.

IA

Just to pick up the price point, my S2 cost me ~£300 less than an iphone would’ve. It can be had quite a lot cheaper than the iphone if you shop about/know what you want etc. Obviously the numbers change a bit depending on your data/text/minutes needs, but you get the rough idea.

Both phones have pros and cons. Given equal price I’d probably have an iphone… but the price is far from equal. £300 is a nice pair of wheels/some new forks/a week away riding/etc…

BoardinBob

My S2 cost me nothing, and my tariff reduced by £10 a month from my previous iphone one.

ericemel
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Galaxy S2 c iPhone 5?’ is closed to new replies.