Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • sam houghton – HT OR 100MM FS
  • sefton
    Free Member

Looking for a good time, not sure if a 100mm HT or 100mm turner flux would be best?

jam-bo

depends who’s going to be on it…

sefton
    Free Member

are there many lanes/rd sections or is it more natural terrain?

jam-bo

i have no idea

d45yth
    Free Member

Either…it’s a good course with a good mix of terrain. 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

great help you two 😛

FS bike is about 3-3.5lb heavier

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Doing it myself on a nomad ( got no choice, only own one mtb ) but if I had your options I’d deffo go for the ht. The route takes in Garburn pass but the wrong way IMO. The descent down into troutbeck has been sanitised recently and it’s basically a fire road now so a hardtail would be fine. I think there will be quite a bit of road work so hardtail all the way.

nealy
    Free Member

I’m doing it on my not very light 115mm HT which is what I was on when I rode round there recently, it’s not that techy so use whichever bike will be easiest to push up Garbun Pass…anyone who can clear that with no dabs is an alien or lying.

traildog
    Free Member

Looking for a good time could mean you want to go fast or that you want to have fun… 😉

A tough call really. It’s ideal terrain for the full suspension bike, but having said that I’m taking my hardtail as it’s lighter. A lot of climbing will mean the weight saving will be the big one for me.

sefton
    Free Member

cheers guys think I’ll ride HT with 100sids

sefton
    Free Member

how much climbing? more than 5000ft?

edit just under 5000

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Craig,
    I chose 100mm hardtail last year, on the basis that I’d gain more on the climbs than I lost on the descents, but that’s compared to a 10 lbs heavier FS trail bike.
    It was fine but I felt a bit kicked-about on stuff like the HP Plantation descent.
    If I’d had a lightweight FS at my disposal, I’d have used that.

sefton
    Free Member

turner flux so its not that heavy (could even put the sids on it (sids lockout has come off though)

FS has a 120reba uturn

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

To be honest, you’ve got an enviably well suited pair of bikes to choose between. Either would be fine.
    If you do want the time that badly, which would you rather run up Sadgill & Garburn whilst carrying?

[Edit] It’s a while since I’ve been up Garburn. If the Troutbeck side has been repaired/sanitised as suggested, then I’d be inclined towards hardtail [/Edit]

sefton
    Free Member

I’m going to weigh the flux tonight

if its under 26lb I’ll ride that 🙂

nealy
    Free Member

It’s a while since I’ve been up Garburn. If the Troutbeck side has been repaired/sanitised as suggested, then I’d be inclined towards hardtail

Troutbeck side has had all the drops filled in and smoothed out with slate rocks so is a very fast fairly easy descent, riding up wouldn’t be that hard I imagine.

Kentmere side is covered edge to edge from top to bottom in loose fist size rocks, would be fun coming down but isn’t rideable up.

peasant
    Free Member

My 15 yr old son rid down garburn pass last Friday on one of the hire bikes from wheelbase ,mechanical brakes and forks pishing oil ,he is so better than me

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve done it 3 times on a HT. There are a few stretches on the road, but the off road terrain is quite mixed.

sefton
    Free Member

put the sid’s on and it come in under 27lb

samcamsdad

That’s lighter than my HT that ill be riding this year!!
    Garburn, sadgill, and kentmere hall descents all been levelled, so that’s why I’m on the hard tail.
    It’s been sunny and dry all week up here so it’s gonna be riding fast this year I think.
    Looking forward to a day out and a good night at the brewery.:)

nealy
    Free Member

^ That +1 on all counts, my motivation for pedalling hard is to get back for to the brewery for beer and chips

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden any of the trails before – would 2.25 Ralphs be OK? Alternatively, I can pinch the wheels off the FS which has 2.2 Rubber Queen front and 2.2 Mountain King 2 rear.

lecky94
    Free Member

Take your biggest bike with the most travel and stick some bad ass supertacky rubber on them rims..at least then i will actully have a chance of passing someone going uphill..ha ha…have fun out there.

plumber
    Free Member

single speed rigid is clearly the way to go – 29,650,26 is your choice

sefton
    Free Member

well I’m bloody glad I took the FS!!! that was more than technical for me!

awesome event, great result (1st long mixed group)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Well done Craig. I spotted your name in the results tab. That’s a good time.

sefton
    Free Member

cheers Ian, we had cracking day (first time riding in the lakes for about a year) probably one of the best events I’ve done. dry dusty trail and amazing views.

maybe I’m a xc gay but some of them descents where more than enough for me. so glad I took the FS

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘sam houghton – HT OR 100MM FS’ is closed to new replies.