Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Salter Fell by gravel/CX bike?
  • ElShalimo

Has anyone been over Salter Fell from Slaidburn in recent months? I’ve not been over it for years but was wondering if it was doable on a gravel/CX bike nowadays?

twinklydave

Yes. Rode over there a few weeks back. The steepest section quite early on (that used to be very rocky, so you had to ride on the grass to the side of the main track) is now buttery smooth posh looking gravel. Once you’ve gone past the monument to the pendle witches (at the top of the steeper bit) it’s still the same and you’ve got about half a mile of rubbly/rocky stuff, but it’s all doable on a cx bike.
    After the next gate it’s an improving surface until the descent towards Wray, which can be super fast when you get tucked in on the drops 🙂

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBGkMGmFsruloDJ83Yatvft0dsXaT4DWC6nzNA0/

ElShalimo

thanks @twinklydave

I can’t see the photo though..

crazy-legs

I did it a year or so ago. First bit out of Slaidburn was a bit of a push in places, quite rubbly but it sounds from @twinklydave that it’s been improved.

The top bit and the descent to Wray is lovely.

ElShalimo

The last time I did it was on a HT about 8 years ago.

We stopped at that lovely cafe in Wray in the garden centre. Is it still there?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what twinklydave said. Exactly.

You can also turn left after the Fell, when you hit the road, through Haylots and Roeburndale, which will take you towards Caton/Lancaster, or turn left again over Littledale.

wzzzz
    Free Member

We stopped at that lovely cafe in Wray in the garden centre. Is it still there?

Yes it is.

Gravel bike is the perfect tool as any return leg will involve lots of road.

ruddy
    Free Member

As above its a good ride, there is about 0.25 miles of baby head rocks but ok after that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Salter Fell by gravel/CX bike?’ is closed to new replies.